Players you'd want to keep

Barney

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve Taylor will probably be a handy player in the Championship. In addition he's one of the only backs we've got who can pop up and score a couple of goals a season (which is a hard task given the rubbish level of our set pieces).

With that in mind if we go down I'd like to keep:

Harper

Beye

S Taylor

Enrique

Bassong

Jonas

Guthrie

Barton

Carroll

Lovenkrands

Piss off:

Nicky Butt

Kevin Nolan

All Hair No Heart Coloccini

Ryan Taylor

Shola Ameobi

Damien Duff (though he at least seems to be trying now)

Michael Owen

Mark Viduka

Obafemi Martins

Alan Smith

Geremi

Of those, bugger all of them are actually saleable players, particularly given the wages many of them are on (not to mention their ages). With the purse strings pulled tight in the current financial climate it will be a hard task to peddle off the shit that helped to send us down.

Many of them could be replaced by some of the young players we have coming through. Give them a chance, and invest a bit of the cash from sales (ridiculous to expect ashley to suddenly invest anythig more in the team) into an up and coming youngster (midfield) from another Championship level club.

I'd offer Viduka a 12 month contract for no more than 10k a week.

It's the season before a world cup - he will be fit and firing!

See if twat face Allardyce wants to swap Barton for Jason Roberts and that would give a championship set of strikers! :aye:

bassong will prob go to arsenal in the summer. for not much. being our player of the season means nothing to these players, neither does loyalty.

apart from him, harper and beye, i don't think we have any players i rate. they are all either past their best (butt/viduka/owen/duff/smith/geremi) or have too many injuries (barton).

i reckon if we keep the current squad in the championship we'll be in financial shit (because our contracts we put them on don't have reduced wage clauses if we get relegated)!

Staggering...

Next season being a World Cup one, won't bode well for any aspiring international players in our squad. They'll all want top flight football.

I'd like to see a few come out and say they'll stick with us for 1 season though to get us back up.