Best atmospheres in football

foreverer

I watched the Cambridge-Stevenage games and the Histon Torquay second leg. I was worried for AFC when watching Cambridge and Stevenage play some all right football in fairly large stadia, then I saw Histon...

The Don's are gonna be fine :D (but blue and yellow)

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the Cambridge-Stevenage games and the Histon Torquay second leg. I was worried for AFC when watching Cambridge and Stevenage play some all right football in fairly large stadia, then I saw Histon...

The Don's are gonna be fine ;) (but blue and yellow)

Mind you, they have one of the best home records in the conference this season. (admittedly probably cos no one can play football on their pitch) And they finished 2 places above Stevenage and one place behind Cambridge!! Torquay have the best away record. Mind dont judge either of us by yesterday's game....though I wish the Toon had some of the fight that those teams showed yesterday :D

Stevie I was wandering the same as you about Histon's ground. Going back a few years Torquay were actually relegated to the conference with Stevenage coming up, but werent allowed to take their place in the league because their ground wasnt suitable. (bet they hate us)!

Guest Stevie

I used to hate Wimbledon, the year they won the Cup in 1988, they broke my heart in the fifth round, we all thought we'd hump them, SJP was full and their long ball game fucked us and we lost 1-3. We would've played Watford and Luton in QF and SF to get to Wembley, it would've been massive for us. So I grew up thinking they were cunts. By 1997 though they had steady gates of 20,000 were playing a bit more football. What their bosses have done to them, Sam Hammam, and thos Norwegian bastards....unforgiveable. A club is only as strong as it's community and you only find out how strong the club is when they're at their lowest ebb, Liverpool would get 20,000 for instance in our shoes and without the day trippers, but you have say moving "the franchise" 70 miles is criminal, it should've been made a criminal offence I think and fair play to Wimbledon. 4,000 watching Conference South football every game this season...fantastic. I never thought I'd say it when they went down at Southampton but I hope we see Wimbledon in the Premiership again.

I used to hate Wimbledon, the year they won the Cup in 1988, they broke my heart in the fifth round, we all thought we'd hump them, SJP was full and their long ball game fucked us and we lost 1-3. We would've played Watford and Luton in QF and SF to get to Wembley, it would've been massive for us. So I grew up thinking they were cunts. By 1997 though they had steady gates of 20,000 were playing a bit more football. What their bosses have done to them, Sam Hammam, and thos Norwegian bastards....unforgiveable. A club is only as strong as it's community and you only find out how strong the club is when they're at their lowest ebb, Liverpool would get 20,000 for instance in our shoes and without the day trippers, but you have say moving "the franchise" 70 miles is criminal, it should've been made a criminal offence I think and fair play to Wimbledon. 4,000 watching Conference South football every game this season...fantastic. I never thought I'd say it when they went down at Southampton but I hope we see Wimbledon in the Premiership again.

The rumours going round about what the Norwegians got up to once they took control to ensure they got their move are incredible. going to local residents meetings and exaggerating the damage that football fans could do, giving people bungs and whatnot, just to ensure they got their franchise. That the FA have banned a similar thing happening again is tantamount to admitting culpability in the first instance.

Getting over 3000 home gates every game is an outstanding achievement at that level, but as I've intimated before, it's the number who travel that is a real measure of the support. I'll be interested to see how many make the long treks to York and the like for a Tuesday night game that's on Setanta (if it's still running). I'm not saying I'll be there for every game, but they're not my club are they?

Guest Stevie

The rumours going round about what the Norwegians got up to once they took control to ensure they got their move are incredible. going to local residents meetings and exaggerating the damage that football fans could do, giving people bungs and whatnot, just to ensure they got their franchise. That the FA have banned a similar thing happening again is tantamount to admitting culpability in the first instance.

Getting over 3000 home gates every game is an outstanding achievement at that level, but as I've intimated before, it's the number who travel that is a real measure of the support. I'll be interested to see how many make the long treks to York and the like for a Tuesday night game that's on Setanta (if it's still running). I'm not saying I'll be there for every game, but they're not my club are they?

You following AFC W on a regular basis. Seen a youtube of them against some team recently 2-2 away draw, it seemed 4/5th of the crowd was AFC.

You following AFC W on a regular basis. Seen a youtube of them against some team recently 2-2 away draw, it seemed 4/5th of the crowd was AFC.

yeah, that was Bromley, it was a bit of a contentious game. The Dons were winning but put the ball out for a player that was down. Bromley should have given the ball back to the keeper, who was expecting it, but instead they scored. Cheating fuckers should have at least stood aside to get the score back to how it was.

We got revenge like, away at Hampton, two of their players collide and rather than put the ball out Don's cross it in for our top scorer Little Johnny Main who nods home unmarked.

The Dons dominate the crowds in this league, at Hampton there were well over 1,500 away fans and I reckon just under 1,000 home fans.

The cameraman was in the directors box just above the home end, hence the volume, but credit to them, I couldn't hear a fucking thing over the other end, but it sounds like they were doing their bit. You can just make me out around 5:38 standing behind the something "Haart" hoarding in a green t-shirt...

That point meant Wimbledon were crowned Champions (barring a ridiculous scoreline elsewhere)

and this is the subsequent pitch invasion and celebration recorded on some drunken arses phone (not mine, no)

Edited by The Fish