The moment it went wrong for Gazza.

Park Life

Guest Stevie

I don't know if it was a bad move for him, that was an era where you didn't have to be a mega club to win the title, Everton won it earlier, even Aston Villa with their 27,000 gates won it, and Ipswich, Southampton and Watford all came close. Aside for SAF I think TV was as good a manager as there was then, Waddle was there to help him settle even though he eventually fucked off to a bigger club, they had ambition in signing Lineker, they came 3rd twice I think, the yids were spending a lot of money, I can see why he went to Spurs. When you're Paul Gascoigne you don't spend a long time at a club like Tottenham and injury or not he was leaving anyway, but I have to say I think Tottenham was not a bad career move for him, they were far more ambitious than us then, even if their support was wank, and don't forget Spurs were better than Man Utd as well.

Cheap dig to be honest.

You're club have shown how much he meant to you lot in the years that have passed.

Unfortunatly the odd free ticket was not what gazza needed.

I don't know if it was a bad move for him, that was an era where you didn't have to be a mega club to win the title, Everton won it earlier, even Aston Villa with their 27,000 gates won it, and Ipswich, Southampton and Watford all came close. Aside for SAF I think TV was as good a manager as there was then, Waddle was there to help him settle even though he eventually fucked off to a bigger club, they had ambition in signing Lineker, they came 3rd twice I think, the yids were spending a lot of money, I can see why he went to Spurs. When you're Paul Gascoigne you don't spend a long time at a club like Tottenham and injury or not he was leaving anyway, but I have to say I think Tottenham was not a bad career move for him, they were far more ambitious than us then, even if their support was wank, and don't forget Spurs were better than Man Utd as well.

Fair points.

The old debate is whether Fergy would have managed to reign in Gazza's excesses? I think he would, although TV was also a good man manager and motivator at the time.

:aye: @ the bit in bold. It was certainly the case that the league was a lot more open then. I was gutted when Southampton didn't win it that year as I loved KK even before he came here as a player. Only thing I would say re: Watford though Stevie is that although they came 2nd they didn't really come close to winning it. Liverpool won it at an absolute canter. I know what you're getting at though.

:aye: @ the bit in bold. It was certainly the case that the league was a lot more open then. I was gutted when Southampton didn't win it that year as I loved KK even before he came here as a player. Only thing I would say re: Watford though Stevie is that although they came 2nd they didn't really come close to winning it. Liverpool won it at an absolute canter. I know what you're getting at though.

The league as a spectacle is shit now man.

The places between 1-4 are shit tbh.

I agree, 5th is the new 1st. We won it twice recently :aye:

Well done.

I'll take you out for a lasagne and we can celebrate.

Well done.

As long as we can have some fizzy pop with it

Well done.

Ouch! :scratchhead:

Well done.

Got to go the bank first.

We are very meticulous with our numbers before shelling out on Fizzy Pop.

I agree, 5th is the new 1st. We won it twice recently :scratchhead:

Well done.

:aye:

It's widely stated that Gazza didn't want to sign for either - he was edging for a move to Liverpool by all accounts, supposedly never off Beardsley's case to persuade Dalglish to take him.

At the time he had to move on - there was no ambition at SJP and his career would have stagnated. Was Spurs the right move? Nothing to compare it with but my adiding memories of that time were of him playing for England rather than Spurs. There's only 4 memories I have of him in a Spurs shirt and they're all at Wembley in 1991.

With all respect, I think had he gone to either Man Utd or Liverpool, he'd have won league championships and possibly may have stayed on the rails.

Aye, I can't quite remember the details but I seem to remember Dalglish being interested but wanting to sign him a year later or something like that. In all honesty though I'm not sure anyone could have saved him from himself. Ferguson would possibly have thrown him out rather than sorted him out imo. Especially the Ferguson back then.

It's widely stated that Gazza didn't want to sign for either - he was edging for a move to Liverpool by all accounts, supposedly never off Beardsley's case to persuade Dalglish to take him.

At the time he had to move on - there was no ambition at SJP and his career would have stagnated. Was Spurs the right move? Nothing to compare it with but my adiding memories of that time were of him playing for England rather than Spurs. There's only 4 memories I have of him in a Spurs shirt and they're all at Wembley in 1991.

With all respect, I think had he gone to either Man Utd or Liverpool, he'd have won league championships and possibly may have stayed on the rails.

Fergie would have had more chance than most and has a good track record with former nutters and drinkers.

Fergie would have had more chance than most and has a good track record with former nutters and drinkers.

Paul McGrath was sold by Ferguson a year after Gazza went to Spurs iirc. Admittedly McGrath wasn't Fergie's signing. But I think you're right in that Gazza needed a strong disciplinarian to manage him (I'm just not sure even that would have worked).

Paul McGrath was sold by Ferguson a year after Gazza went to Spurs iirc. Admittedly McGrath wasn't Fergie's signing. But I think you're right in that Gazza needed a strong disciplinarian to manage him (I'm just not sure even that would have worked).

I was trying to think of the name. :aye:

Rarely trained according to myth.

I was trying to think of the name. :scratchhead:

He didn't have a good track record with Paul McGrath though :aye:

Same happened with Norman Whiteside too, Fergie didn't tolerate anything back then so I can't see how it would have worked with Gazza.

Guest Stevie

Same happened with Norman Whiteside too, Fergie didn't tolerate anything back then so I can't see how it would have worked with Gazza.

It hypothetical either way saying how it would've gone for Gazza, but I think when you look at Wayne Rooney, he's a great player, but I think he has it in his locker to be even better than he is at the moment. He doesn't play with as much freedom as he had at the BD, or Gazza had at Spurs, and maybe that would've been the same at OT FOR Paul.

Exactly. The only one he tolerated was Bryan Robson out of the drinking buddies at Old Trafford back then.