The moment it went wrong for Gazza.

Park Life

So he kicked out Whiteside and McGrath (who was broken by then) and kept Robson on despite his drinking.

Remind me why Fergie would have been so good for him?

Danny, I think you have to understand; for us it's the wish that it could have gone better for one of our own. I don't think anyone is saying it's all tottenham's fault, not really. Gazza clearly has always had it in him to go off the rails. I reckon most Geordies wish he'd gone to Man U so that one of the best managers of our times could have had an effect on him. If there is the tiniest possibility that he could have gone there and become the footballing God we know he could well have become, then every man jack of us would wish that.

you shouldn't be so precious.

The point though, which Danny wasn't particularly original with in the context of the thread ;) , that the Alex Ferguson of 1988 wasn't the type to look after Gazza - given his treatment of people with similar problems like Whiteside and McGrath, is a fair one. I think Ferguson is being wise after the event, employing a bit of rose-tinted hindsight.

I may be wrong with this as i don't know the details to be honest, but did Gazza's real drinking problems not come after his serious injury and all his time spent not playing football and having nothing else to do whilst being mislead by people around him?

I thought he would have been ok when young and spending his every waking hour devoted to football which he loves and had he went to play under Fergie i genuinely think much as i hate the bloke, he would have kept Gazza under control enough, whilst still letting him play freely to become what he should have which is the best player in the world for a time.

Or to look at it a slightly different way had he played for manu he wouldnt have been in that cup final and picked up that injury which ultimately is where most of his problems started. That's obviously luck, not anything to with either clubs management but he would have went on to greater things without that injury.

Danny, I think you have to understand; for us it's the wish that it could have gone better for one of our own. I don't think anyone is saying it's all tottenham's fault, not really. Gazza clearly has always had it in him to go off the rails. I reckon most Geordies wish he'd gone to Man U so that one of the best managers of our times could have had an effect on him. If there is the tiniest possibility that he could have gone there and become the footballing God we know he could well have become, then every man jack of us would wish that.

you shouldn't be so precious.

Nice one Fish.

I may be wrong with this as i don't know the details to be honest, but did Gazza's real drinking problems not come after his serious injury and all his time spent not playing football and having nothing else to do whilst being mislead by people around him?

I thought he would have been ok when young and spending his every waking hour devoted to football which he loves and had he went to play under Fergie i genuinely think much as i hate the bloke, he would have kept Gazza under control enough, whilst still letting him play freely to become what he should have which is the best player in the world for a time.

Or to look at it a slightly different way had he played for manu he wouldnt have been in that cup final and picked up that injury which ultimately is where most of his problems started. That's obviously luck, not anything to with either clubs management but he would have went on to greater things without that injury.

He wouldn't have been running around quite so mindlessly if he had been playing for Man U in a Cup Final imo.

Edited by Park Life