40 years of teas but no cups

Tooj

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport...icle2405591.ece

THERE have not been any cups at Newcastle since 1969. Apart from in Kath Cassidy’s St James’ Park kitchen.

Tea ladies do not generally hold legendary status at a football club but Kath, who has spent over four decades serving 18 managers, is something of a Tyneside celebrity. Having arrived at St James’ 12 months before that Fairs Cup triumph, Kath provided Joe Harvey his pre-match cuppa and now she does the same for Alan Shearer. A fiercely-proud Geordie, the 82-year-old is distraught at the club’s current plight but hopes Shearer will remain at the club next season — even if Newcastle are relegated.

She said: “If anyone can save us, it’s Alan, but he’s not got much time left. I don’t know if he is staying on but if he does, we are sure to go back up. His heart is in Newcastle and I wish all the players were the same as him.

“I’ve got lots of pictures at home of all my favourite players from down the years. So many, that I’ll soon have to start putting them on the ceiling.

“I know I’d get into trouble, but I might go into the dressing room before a game with my picture of Jackie Milburn holding his medals.

“I’d say to the players ‘Get your fingers out, look what he won for £20 a week.’

“Men like Jackie, God bless his soul, put their whole heart in. Jackie would turn in his grave if he saw the state of things here now.

“We last won a trophy in 1969 and that’s shocking. We shouldn’t be down there.

“I wish Kevin Keegan had stayed. When he returned here, I thought I’d died and gone to heaven. A great man. If he had still been here, I’m not sure we would be in this mess.

“It was not his fault and I can’t understand why Dennis Wise was brought in. You don’t have a boss and then bring in someone over him. Another terrible thing is seeing us below Sunderland in the table. I’ve a sister, Joan, living there.

“She insists she’s not a Mackem but I don’t like the way she talks now — her accent is funny. I never go and see her. My family are the same as me. We love Newcastle. We love the club.

“When my grandson was born — he’s nine now — I went with my daughter-in-law to register him. Terry, my son, phoned and checked we had got the name right — Joe Kevin Keegan.

“My daughter-in-law said ‘I’m calling him Joe Beckham Cassidy’. My son said ‘don’t bring the boy home then!’

“But yes, he is Joe Kevin Keegan Cassidy.” Hardly surprisingly, King Kev features prominently when Kath talks about the managers she has worked for.

She added: “All the managers have been gentlemen. Each and every one. I’d rather work for 100 men rather than five women.

“Joe Harvey was the first manager I worked for. He was a quiet sort of man. Gordon Lee came in and mucked everything up. He got rid of about five of our players, including Super Mac (Malcolm Macdonald). Richard Dinnis wasn’t here long.

“Bill McGarry was a little man and he didn’t have much to say. Arthur Cox was a nice man. Jackie Charlton was not here very long but was a character while Willie McFaul was nice but quiet.

“Jim Smith, the Bald Eagle, was always very pleasant. Ossie Ardiles always said ‘very, very good’.

“Kenny Dalglish was a canny bloke. Ruud Gullit was nice but I don’t think he had much interest in the club. Bobby Robson was good man. A legend. He never had tea — always coffee. He didn’t stop and speak to anyone, though.

“I was just a tea lady. He spoke to me twice in four years — he said ‘thank you’. He was a man of his job. It was an insult when he was sacked.

“Graeme Souness was brilliant to me. He came to my house when I had a heart attack and stayed for 2½ hours. Glenn Roeder was all right — a decent man. Sam Allardyce was lovely but was not here long enough to be judged as a manager.

“Keegan was fantastic. I love the man and we came so close to winning the title with him. He took 1½ sugars. But now, I’m so happy Alan is here and I think, given time, he will do a very good job.”

Kath, who arrives for each game four hours before kick-off, hopes to be pouring the tea for years to come.

She said: “My daughters keeping saying to give this job up, but why should I? The boss says I can stay as long as I want.”

Newcastle’s future remains uncertain and Shearer is still insisting he will not continue as manager after this season. Whoever does take over, the one certainty is that a decent brew will be on offer.

I must admit these two bits cracked me up.

Another terrible thing is seeing us below Sunderland in the table. I’ve a sister, Joan, living there. “She insists she’s not a Mackem but I don’t like the way she talks now — her accent is funny. I never go and see her. My family are the same as me. We love Newcastle. We love the club.

Kenny Dalglish was a canny bloke

;)

Guest alex

;)

I take it she's the one who poured Souness his tea after the press conference had already started that time, aye?

Guest alex
Shes mental

Worth a dozen of the likes of you ;)

Oh aye, the world cant have enough tea pourers :)

Not like you to get the wrong end of the stick.

;)

I take it she's the one who poured Souness his tea after the press conference had already started that time, aye?

96_souey_380x223_793495a.jpg

A rose between 2 cunts...

Shes mental

Well I didnt think you could possibly mean 'as a person', as thats quite an assumption to make on a newspaper article written by a third party. Not like you to make unsubstantiated statements like that

Guest alex
Shes mental

Well I didnt think you could possibly mean 'as a person', as thats quite an assumption to make on a newspaper article written by a third party. Not like you to make unsubstantiated statements like that

It was a flippant remark anyway man. Save some of that angst for the mosh pit.

“Graeme Souness was brilliant to me. He came to my house when I had a heart attack and stayed for 2½ hours.

I don't know why but ;)

"Well it's been lovely seeing you Graeme bonny lad, but howay man...you've sat there 2 hours complaining about Bellamy and eating all me biscuits. It's about time you did one."

He must've been hiding from someone. Didn't want to hear the scotland result before match of the Day.

Shes mental

Nowt angsty in those lyrics. Positive all the way :(

oh aye, he's hardcore, but by the rules mother fucker!

made me chuckle that article, the bits Tooj picked out were the bits I was going to mention, also stupid little things like how many sugars Keegan takes.

I was initially surprised about what she said on Robson, but I guess after thinking about it, it makes sense. He strikes me as a focussed fella, unless there's doors around.

Guest alex
Shes mental

Worth a dozen of the likes of you :)

Oh aye, the world cant have enough tea pourers :(

Nowt angsty in those lyrics. Positive all the way :scratchchin:

Mosh pits are full of angst. I should know, I used to love them when I was about 15 ;)

made me chuckle that article, the bits Tooj picked out were the bits I was going to mention, also stupid little things like how many sugars Keegan takes.

I was initially surprised about what she said on Robson, but I guess after thinking about it, it makes sense. He strikes me as a focussed fella, unless there's doors around.

Fuck. Cup of soup on my monitor.

Fuck. Cup of soup on my monitor.

So long as you didn't get any on that lovely Oak venneer, real oak mind....

• 7 years later...