Sir Bobby: Don't blame Mike Ashley for Newcastle's decline

Jimbo

Had a heated debate with one of the lads on the metro home last night about whether Shearer's staying or not should we stay up.

I think the win had bouyed him to insanely optimistic levels but he was adamant that Ashley will keep Shearer and give him everything he needs to do the job. I was incredulous in the faith he had in Ashley.

Is it possible that Ashley has learned anything from this monumental fuck up of a season?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a heated debate with one of the lads on the metro home last night about whether Shearer's staying or not should we stay up.

I think the win had bouyed him to insanely optimistic levels but he was adamant that Ashley will keep Shearer and give him everything he needs to do the job. I was incredulous in the faith he had in Ashley.

Is it possible that Ashley has learned anything from this monumental fuck up of a season?

If Shearer gets assurances and stays on I hope he gets it all in a watertight contract along with many witnesses

I reckon he must now know that he has fucked up quite spectacularly but whether he now has the resources to give Shearer the funds he will want is another matter.

You could be in a worse situation. At least Ashley has a bit of money.

God knows how you are going to cut the wage bill if you go down. I can't see many in for Duff, Viduka etc. especially if they demand the sort of crazy wages you've been too happy to fork out. You've had to suffer some stupid managers and chairmen who were far too happy to throw money at crap.

I think Viduka and Owen's contracts are up at the end of the season. And you'll buy Barton, it's written in the stars :yahoo: .

Oh yes :rolleyes:

Take your point though. I guess some players will assist in moving on as they'd be too good for the championship (in their heads). We may have to take losses on some deadbeats like Geremi and Duff just to get them off the wage bill. Some we will never ever shift and I look forward to Shola's stint as player manager in ten years time.

Some players will be easier to get rid of than others, here's how I see it-

Geremi/Cacapa/Viduka-will probably and likely dissappear to some godforsaken leagues

Collocini/Jonas and maybe Enrique will return to Spain and have their memories wiped of all recollection of their time at Newcastle

Bassong/Martins Will probably move to half decent clubs

Owen To Man City after they fail to sign any of their original targets

Barton- We pay Sam 4 million to take him away

Its the likes of Duff, Nolan, Butt, Smith, RTaylor that I just can't imagine anyone coming in for. Who would want these guys? Who could afford their wages? The only team stupid enough to do so is probably us..maybe we'll buy them again off ourselves or something....where did I put that noose...

Good post. Id still keep Butt though, good cover and good influence on the dressing room

If Shearer gets assurances and stays on I hope he gets it all in a watertight contract along with many witnesses

I liked the way Shearer handled his appointment. Forcing the public declaration that Wise was out before allowing himself to be named shows he has the measure of the men in charge.

Getting a similar announcement on exactly what range of control he'll be given at the club when he stays should be enough to keep him happy on that score. There can't really be anything but a discussion between them on how much backing (financial and personal) he'll get if he does take the job though...and it's on that score that I worry about Ashley.

I liked the way Shearer handled his appointment. Forcing the public declaration that Wise was out before allowing himself to be named shows he has the measure of the men in charge.

Getting a similar announcement on exactly what range of control he'll be given at the club when he stays should be enough to keep him happy on that score. There can't really be anything but a discussion between them on how much backing (financial and personal) he'll get if he does take the job though...and it's on that score that I worry about Ashley.

Thing is though he'd had the benefit of seeing what's happened, Keegan probably got those assurances too (he certainly said he did), but look how that turned out.

Shearer should be in a much stronger position now, of course.