Alan Shearer presents Newcastle players with his 12 commandments

Jimbo

Alan Shearer has reportedly angered a number of Newcastle United players after presenting the squad with a set of rules which carry penalties running into tens of thousands of pounds.

By Telegraph staff

Last Updated: 3:55PM BST 05 May 2009

The list, which comprises of 12 policies centred on punctuality, came into effect on April 29 and was presented to players as they prepared to face Liverpool in the league.

Any violation of the rules culminates in players being fined 10 per cent of their weekly salary for a first offence, 20 per cent for a second and 40 per cent for a third - anyone in breach after three strikes will have their fine decided by the manager.

Shearer has also stressed to his players that the list is by no means comprehensive and other forms of tardiness may result in them being penalised.

With Newcastle battling for survival in the Premier League the timing is said to have angered a number of players who think the club's focus would be better spent on tactics and on-field improvements. Unsurprisingly the level of the fines has not been met with open arms either.

The 12 "Brian Clough-esque" rules marks Shearer's latest move to get tough on a team he claims have been too relaxed in the past.

According to The Sun, when he and assistant coach Ian Dowie were first ushered into help out at St James' Park, their disciplinary regime was widely welcomed, but it now appears certain members of the squad consider it excessive.

The paper quotes a club source as saying: "Nobody would disagree that a club needs to be properly organised, with discipline and an order everyone understands.

“But to start writing down a list of offences that will get you fined at this stage of the season seems strange.

“It seems counter-productive to do it with so few games left. How many times could a player possibly be late for airport check-in now? It is just getting some people’s backs up.

“The players want to get Newcastle out of relegation trouble and want a good team spirit but don’t think this is particularly helpful.

“It is true some have been late on occasions but there are a couple of serial offenders. Some are never late and it looks like they are all being tarred with the same brush."

What constitutes lateness in Shearer's eyes:

* Late for meal at team hotel

* Late for meeting at team hotel

* Late for walk at team hotel

* Late arrival at team hotel

* Late for airport report time

* Late for coach report time

* Late reporting to stadium dressing room

* Late for meeting at training centre

* Late for meals at training centre

* Late reporting for treatment

* Late out on to the training pitch

* Late arrival for training

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fair enough. How hard is it to get somewhere on time? I'm never late for anything. And they've got coaches and chauffers to drive them about everywhere. It's not like they're being asked to navigate themselves large distances.

Did it need a list ? surely lateness is being late for any event or occasion where there is a set time for arrival ?

Did it need a list ? surely lateness is being late for any event or occasion where there is a set time for arrival ?

He probably said as much, but could tell by the look on Shola's face that he'd best write it down.

It's fair enough. How hard is it to get somewhere on time? I'm never late for anything. And they've got coaches and chauffers to drive them about everywhere. It's not like they're being asked to navigate themselves large distances.

Viduka probably thinks so. :D

I'd imagine the thick bastards would say "but you didn't say being late at the airport counted so I didn't realise".

It's a good example of prefessional standards which should be unwritten - the need for a list shows what a bunch of complete pricks the players are.

Coincidence that a leak from inside the club painting Barton in a bad light is quickly followed by one that is aimed at undermining Shearer?

Could be I suppose but I have my suspicions.

Coincidence that a leak from inside the club painting Barton in a bad light is quickly followed by one that is aimed at undermining Shearer?

How does this undermine Shearer?

Indicative of what a bunch of cunts they are if any one of them thinks this is unreasonable. A proper professional wouldn't even need to be told.

Standard club rules tbh. I'm more surprised that they weren't in place beforehand. (then again NOTHING surprises me with NUFC any more).

Did you see the fuckers laughing and joking as the Setanta cameras filmed them going to the dressing room? Particularly that mop-haired Argentinian cunt. God I hate him!

How does this undermine Shearer?

It doesn't in my eyes but I think it's spun to portray Shearer as excessively strict.

"Nobody would disagree that a club needs to be properly organised, with discipline and an order everyone understands.

“But to start writing down a list of offences that will get you fined at this stage of the season seems strange.

“It seems counter-productive to do it with so few games left. How many times could a player possibly be late for airport check-in now? It is just getting some people’s backs up.

“The players want to get Newcastle out of relegation trouble and want a good team spirit but don’t think this is particularly helpful.

'Strange', 'counter-productive', 'it's just getting people's backs up' etc.

Indicative of what a bunch of cunts they are if any one of them thinks this is unreasonable. A proper professional wouldn't even need to be told.

Agreed.

Nicky Butt is the worst, closely followed by your mate.

I can't copy and pAste on my phone but if you want an article that attempts to undermine Shearer, go on the Guardian site and read Richard Williams' cobblers. The last three paragraphs are fucking hilarious - he seems to think Kinnear was doing a good job of saving us (rather than getting us into the fucking mess), and what we needed to keep us up is a Kinnear clone.

I can't copy and pAste on my phone but if you want an article that attempts to undermine Shearer, go on the Guardian site and read Richard Williams' cobblers. The last three paragraphs are fucking hilarious - he seems to think Kinnear was doing a good job of saving us (rather than getting us into the fucking mess), and what we needed to keep us up is a Kinnear clone.

I read that - I presumed him and the Taylor bitch had sat iaround giggling with a laptop knocking up that particular load of shite.

Standard club rules tbh. I'm more surprised that they weren't in place beforehand. (then again NOTHING surprises me with NUFC any more).

Did you see the fuckers laughing and joking as the Setanta cameras filmed them going to the dressing room? Particularly that mop-haired Argentinian cunt. God I hate him!

Race hate! :D

useless cunt hate! :D

FYP

That pisses me off big time. Too many players these days don't care when they lose. I've been in dressing rooms that have been turned upside down after a defeat. Thats when you your players care and you'll turn it around.

No you twat it's not his race it's his nationality!

No you twat it's not his race it's his nationality!

I couldn't give a fuck if he came from Wallsend man, he's absolutely gash and not fit to wear the shirt. What's more, he doesn't seem to care - number of times he was 'done' by a Liverpool player one-on-one was embarrassing.

No coinicidence that Argentina are shite at the moment with this useless cunt in their defence.