Newcastle United 3-1 Boro, full time.

Jimbo

I must admit that atmosphere last night was like SJP used to be. It was absolutely fantastic, you'd struggle to find anywhere in the league that produces more noise than that. Such a shame though that it is so few and far between. I really can't remember the last time I celebrated as much as the one Martins scored. The whole place went absolutely mad. That and the sheer heartbreak I was suffering after their goal really can't be described. I don't think it hit home until that goal last night how much of an impact relegation would have on me. I was absolutely crushed. The emotion over the whole game was something else.

shearercelebrateNNP_450x300.jpg

:rolleyes:

Still not safe by any means, but this now gives us a much needed confidence boost going into Saturday. Something which we really need.

Same 11 for Fulham?

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Owen is a spent force which we cannot afford to have in our team. He has lost 10 yards of pace never mind 1/2 a yard. He cannot create for himself, he cannot create for others. Get rid.

Martins in not a great footballer (a million miles behind owen mentally) but he has pace and creates (mind he could put some fuckers window out)

Lovenkrands has experience pace and desire.

5 :rolleyes:

Michael Owen is a spent force which we cannot afford to have in our team. He has lost 10 yards of pace never mind 1/2 a yard. He cannot create for himself, he cannot create for others. Get rid.

Martins in not a great footballer (a million miles behind owen mentally) but he has pace and creates (mind he could put some fuckers window out)

Lovenkrands has experience pace and desire.

5 :rolleyes:

One of your better ones.

Match report from True Faith:

Newcastle United 3 Middlesbrough 1

Monday 11/May/09, SJP, KO 8pm, Premier League.

Fucking hell, how long has it been since you’ve come away from SJP feeling like that eh? In probably our biggest game of the last 15 years we turned in the performance of the season on and off the pitch to put survival within reach and the hairs on the back of your neck firmly on end. Everyone knew that this was probably shit or bust and for once, we triumphed in a must win game and put safety within our own hands.

Shearer brought Nolan, Owen and Steven Taylor in from the capitulation at Anfield and with the crowd well and truly up for it, we started well. Only shit control from Owen prevented him from being clear on goal with only ten seconds gone but only two minutes in we were behind in the unluckiest of circumstances. A through ball to Tuncay saw his shot come back off Harper only for the ball to bounce back off a hugely unlucky Beye into the open net.

Instead of our collective arses dropping, the volume increased and we almost levelled straight away when a fantastic Viduka snap shot came back off the bar. From the first minute, it was obvious that for once the Aussie wanted to know and he frightened the Boro back line shitless throughout. He almost set up Owen within seconds before his shot rebounded to Taylor who ballooned over and there was only five minutes gone. We didn’t need to wait long for the equaliser though. Guthrie shunned NUFC protocol by putting over a perfectly flighted corner which Taylor met with a fantastic header past Jones.

The rest of the half was everything football should be (minus perhaps much outstanding quality) as both sides went at each other hammer and tongs. Owen had a header from a Viduka cross saved well by Jones before Emnes found a rebound from a drive falling to him ten yards out. I think every person in the ground thought he’d put the rebound home but somehow he managed to steer it wide with the goal at his mercy – a real let off. To be fair to Boro they looked very sharp on the break and only a well placed professional foul from Butt prevented Downing from being played in on goal, but if we looked vulnerable, they looked terrified and the game ebbed and flowed from one end to the other.

The second half, if anything started at an even higher tempo. Viduka backheeled wide from a Beye cross when he could have controlled and turned to shoot before a series of ricochets brought a great save from Harper (who was otherwise absolute and utter gash) from an O’Neill shot. We started to look a bit devoid of ideas as the half wore on. Owen wasn’t profiting from Viduka’s superb hold up play and the less said about Gutierrez (full stop) the better so it was encouraging to see Shearer replace them with a bit of pace in the form of Lovenkrands and Martins.

The substitutions paid dividends almost immediately. The ball broke to Oba in the box and rather than blazing over, he steadied himself and slotted it past Jones. Pandemonium. Relief, delight and possible salvation all spilling down from the stands followed immediately by a palpable sense of 50,000 sets of nerves jangling as Boro came back at us in search of an equaliser.

With just a few minutes left though, Nolan pulled the ball back for Lovenkrands to place an unstoppable finish high past Jones. I don’t think I’ve ever felt so happy since that last minute at Feyenoord and everyone knew what a massive moment it was for us. Word at this moment must go to Nolan, who has been little better than a disgrace since signing for us...until tonight. Along with another deserved whipping boy, Duff, Nolan was absolutely fantastic tonight, appearing all over the pitch with vital passes, interceptions and an all round will to win the game. A total and utter transformation. And Lovenkrands finish was absolute class. Fucking hell – can you believe you’re reading this?

We closed the game out for a victory that doesn’t yet save us but puts it well on the way. Of course, we have to do it all again on Saturday but three points against Fulham will probably ensure Premiership football next season. Forget the fact that we’re only in this situation due to the abysmal failures of others down there with us and there is real belief that we are half way there, with emphasis on the half.

With a performance and level of noise like this though, we can certainly turn Fulham over and possibly even go to Villa safe and in party mode. For now, just revel in what was a hugely entertaining game, a fantastic result and a throwback to the good old days on the terraces of SJP.

What a difference a game makes!

I must admit that atmosphere last night was like SJP used to be. It was absolutely fantastic, you'd struggle to find anywhere in the league that produces more noise than that. Such a shame though that it is so few and far between. I really can't remember the last time I celebrated as much as the one Martins scored. The whole place went absolutely mad. That and the sheer heartbreak I was suffering after their goal really can't be described. I don't think it hit home until that goal last night how much of an impact relegation would have on me. I was absolutely crushed. The emotion over the whole game was something else.

shearercelebrateNNP_450x300.jpg

:yahoo:

Still not safe by any means, but this now gives us a much needed confidence boost going into Saturday. Something which we really need.

Goal came at a good time as well. The atmosphere was fantastic but I thought it had just started to drop off slightly by that point, as frustration crept in.

I got crushed as well. I sit next to this seriously big unit from Bishop and he (totally unexpectedly) gave me a full-on rib-crushing man-hug when Martins scored - fucking scary :rolleyes:

I agree with Gemmill about Harper. I've been saying so since he's become the number 1. His distribution and his lack of urgency are real causes for concern.

Good point about Butts tackle. Well worth a yellow imo. Also, how good was Tuncays turn for the first goal!!

Aye, I remember applauding that tackle because it was a very smart foul to make.

One occasion last night, Bassong was shepherding the ball back, not wanting to touch it so that his keeper could come out and pick it up. Harper stood and watched and bassong had to eventually hook it out for a thro in under pressure. It was one of those ARE YOU FOR FUCKING REAL KEEPER moments. In fact I think Bassong said something along the lines of EST-CE QUE TU ES FOR REAL MAN KEEPER MAN at the time.

One occasion last night, Bassong was shepherding the ball back, not wanting to touch it so that his keeper could come out and pick it up. Harper stood and watched and bassong had to eventually hook it out for a thro in under pressure. It was one of those ARE YOU FOR FUCKING REAL KEEPER moments. In fact I think Bassong said something along the lines of EST-CE QUE TU ES FOR REAL MAN KEEPER MAN at the time.

Same moment I picked up on... fucking nightmare and shows he's not in touch with his back 4...

:rolleyes:

Good point about Butts tackle. Well worth a yellow imo. Also, how good was Tuncays turn for the first goal!!

Aye, I remember applauding that tackle because it was a very smart foul to make.

Butt might not have had to make that tackle had Duff not spent five minutes whinging on his arse instead of getting back in position (although otherwise Duff did have a good game).

I'm fine with you having a different opinion. You were the one who started making it personal by claiming I have to have someone to knock.

Maybe you don't know what you're on about.

.... :rolleyes:

Butt might not have had to make that tackle had Duff not spent five minutes whinging on his arse instead of getting back in position (although otherwise Duff did have a good game).

Aye, that's a point. He just lay there whinging instead of getting up and tracking back.

I'm fine with you having a different opinion. You were the one who started making it personal by claiming I have to have someone to knock.

Maybe you don't know what you're on about.

.... :yahoo:

:rolleyes: Oops!

True, was a blatant foul though

Guthrie shunned NUFC protocol :rolleyes:

Harper - absolute gash, says the match reviewer :yahoo:

Well I've seen some shocking keepers but I wouldn't put Harper's performance anywhere near that list. Given's had some howlers at City btw....

Well done though everyone, I'm sure Harper'll be feeling on top of the world for Saturday now.

True, was a blatant foul though

Oh aye, and smart as Matty says.

Wow, what a game.

To come back from conceding the early goal and win the game, a game of this importance, showed they were up for the fight. I don't think Beye could do much about the deflection but I was pleased he kept his head up. He went on to have a good game.

I can't completely agree with all the comments about Guti. He causes people problems and does run at people but as has become the norm for him - no end product. I don't recall him shirking a challenge though, I thought he got kicked as usual, with no protection from the ref, as usual.

I've worked out the problem with Butt though - he's schizophrenic. One half of him is a great defensive midfield player, the other is a player who can't play forward. Last night he tackled, won the ball and clearly took one for the team with his yellow card (he knew he wasn't going to get the ball, but he had to stop the boro forward play). However, as soon as he tries to play the ball forward he switches to "useless fucker" mode. We counted 3 passes he made that reached a b&w shirt - all night. Most of them went to a red shirt or the middle of nowhere.

Nolan was a lot better than he has been, but his distribution was poor at times. Guthrie kept making runs down the right and Nolan kept ignoring him.

Guthrie had a good game and it was great to see someone actually play a decent corner. Duff played well at LB and I don't recall him doing anything wrong. He linked up with Guti (although a couple of times he played the ball to guti and didn't overlap which lost momentum).

I thought Owen did ok and I think it was all part of the plan to bring him off after 70mins. Oba was never going to do more than 20 and I said that before that match started.

The key was Viduka and last night he finally stepped up. Viduka is the key to our survival. Owen, Oba and our midfielders can play off him and he showed last night he still has it when he can be arsed to show it. Oba was lucky with his shot, but you need luck as well as skill to win matches and we were due some :rolleyes:

I'd start with the same 11 against Fulham or maybe swap Guti for Lovenkrands and bring guti on later in the match.

I

Well I've seen some shocking keepers but I wouldn't put Harper's performance anywhere near that list. Given's had some howlers at City btw....

Well done though everyone, I'm sure Harper'll be feeling on top of the world for Saturday now.

Perhaps he doesn't browse on here?

Eh?! What do you expect people to say? How brilliant he was, despite him being distinctly average again?

It's about opinions man, and in many people's opinion who were at the match and could clearly see more than someone watching it from a stream, could see his distribution and willingness to help out the back 4 was painful.

And if Harper will now not be "on top of the world for Saturday", well he'll only have himself to blame.