Newcastle United 3-1 Boro, full time.

Jimbo

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I nearly got chucked out of wor lasses hotel last night for being obnoxious. Seems there were some Boro fans over in one corner who didn't like the fact I showed some emotion. They did not (i repeat NOT) move an inch when Beye scored the own goal!!!

As for the team - awesome performances from Viduka, Duff, Beye, Bassong, Guthrie, Taylor & Martins - the last two had points to prove and think they did just that.

Thank god we're playing Guthrie - a man who can take a corner that will beat first man. Every time he took it we looked dangerous. He should be a permanent fixture in the side IMO.

Barring the early header when it was tipped over the bar, Owen did very little. He's either unfit or his mind is already on where he wants to move in the summer.

Harper needs to move of his line more - he's almost permanently glued to it. A number of times last night he could have cleared the ball but left it for the defenders to sort out who were facing goal.

Butt, Nolan & Guttierez did very little IMO but did very little wrong either.

Youve got a short memory :rolleyes:

I nearly got chucked out of wor lasses hotel last night for being obnoxious. Seems there were some Boro fans over in one corner who didn't like the fact I showed some emotion. They did not (i repeat NOT) move an inch when Beye scored the own goal!!!

As for the team - awesome performances from Viduka, Duff, Beye, Bassong, Guthrie, Taylor & Martins - the last two had points to prove and think they did just that.

Thank god we're playing Guthrie - a man who can take a corner that will beat first man. Every time he took it we looked dangerous. He should be a permanent fixture in the side IMO.

Barring the early header when it was tipped over the bar, Owen did very little. He's either unfit or his mind is already on where he wants to move in the summer.

Harper needs to move of his line more - he's almost permanently glued to it. A number of times last night he could have cleared the ball but left it for the defenders to sort out who were facing goal.

I have?? Every time we've taken a corner of late it's never beaten 1st man. He takes one and Taylor scores.

Admittedly I think it was a case of their shite defending rather than any real improvement from us.

I have?? Every time we've taken a corner of late it's never beaten 1st man. He takes one and Taylor scores.

Admittedly I think it was a case of their shite defending rather than any real improvement from us.

Every corner he took in his last game for us hit the first man, as did every free kick he took.

Guest alex

Every corner he took in his last game for us hit the first man, as did every free kick he took.

Tbh (and I rate Guthrie) we haven't got anything much in the way of dead ball delivery. That's something that needs to be addressed (and has needed to be addressed for a while too - probably since we lost Solano / Robert).

Probably would be fixed by the creative/attacking midfielders we've desperately needed for 3+ seasons now.

(actually just imagine the team from 3-4 seasons ago playing that Boro team last night - just shows where we are :rolleyes: )

Nolan did very little IMO.

Is that aside from laying on two goals?

:yahoo:

Now you come to mention it.... :rolleyes:

Seemed a bit invisible earlier in the game.

For me, Owen tried his damnest for the team last night. Unfortunately his pace has virtually gone making him a bit of a busted flush, but he was trying 100% for us imo.

For me, Owen tried his damnest for the team last night. Unfortunately his pace has virtually gone making him a bit of a busted flush, but he was trying 100% for us imo.

I think he looked very lively for the first half hour but then quickly started to fade away once the team was more and more pushed into the own half.

Special mention to my next door neighbour who staggered home at daft o'clock and let rip with a rousing rendition of 'na na na na na na na, na na na na geordies' on his doorstep. Good work sir :rolleyes:

Youve got a short memory :yahoo:

And the last game he played was??? :rolleyes:

tbh you may have a point for a particular game, but as it's you I know this is more a chance to try to defeat my argument for the hell of it.

Regardless, Guthrie's delivery last night was a damned sight better that we've seen of late - that's indisputable!

Youve got a short memory :yahoo:

And the last game he played was??? :rolleyes:

tbh you may have a point for a particular game, but as it's you I know this is more a chance to try to defeat my argument for the hell of it.

Regardless, Guthrie's delivery last night was a damned sight better that we've seen of late - that's indisputable!

If he does the business one game out of every two, that'll do me

Guest alex

To follow on from the point Snake made about Bramble in a different thread, it might be worth offering Owen a new deal (under different circumstances, i.e. a cut in pay etc.) because I still think he's an asset. Look at what you get for a £10m striker (especially if you're not in Europe etc) - fuck all. And we're already short in that department even if he stays. Depends on a lot still obviously - no one decent wnating him, Shearer staying, us styaing up, etc.

I thought Harper's distribution was better than I ever saw from Given.

Harper caused panic in the back 4 on a few occasions, didn't claim a couple of crosses that he should have, and his kicking was nothing special at all. He gave it straight back to them when we were under pressure 2 or 3 times.

Pud, I was quite happy with duff last night and i fucking hate him.

Right ho then. Glad you've found someone new to knock btw.

Only noticed by me, every tucker sat around me, and Jimbo so far like. Maybe you don't know what you're on about.

I only watched the stream so obviously my opinion isn't valid....

You do realise other people can have other opinions, right?

I'm not saying he had a perfect game but ffs, he hardly had a shocker. I saw him save and quickly distribute effectively on more than one occasion which is why I was praising him, it kept the momentum going.

You have a tendency to hold players up as failures with gleeful enthusiasm. Martins did what he's always been capable of which is coming off the bench and having an impact....you've been frothing about how crap he is for years. Yes he can be frustrating but he can still win a match for us.

My point is that if Harper had cost us a win yesterday I'd have been as pissed off as you are, but he didn't and in my eyes did very little that worries me. It was a big pressure game and I thought he contriubuted to our attacking options which was name of the game last night.

To follow on from the point Snake made about Bramble in a different thread, it might be worth offering Owen a new deal (under different circumstances, i.e. a cut in pay etc.) because I still think he's an asset. Look at what you get for a £10m striker (especially if you're not in Europe etc) - fuck all. And we're already short in that department even if he stays. Depends on a lot still obviously - no one decent wnating him, Shearer staying, us styaing up, etc.

He's still a decent player and with more confidence and in a more balanced and creative team will be a big asset, but he will have to take a very huge pay cut (about 50%) to be value for money.

It's also good to have a player of his status in the team to make the team attractive for other players which should be underestimated.

As for me loving to knock Martins, I just think he's crap. Im not the only one either. But I was fucking ecstatic when he scored last night. But really an impact sub should be the extent f his involvement imo.

As for me loving to knock Martins, I just think he's crap. Im not the only one either. But I was fucking ecstatic when he scored last night. But really an impact sub should be the extent f his involvement imo.

That's also what he was best at when he was at Inter. He isn't one to build your game around as he is just far too naive and instinctive. But these are attributes who make him a perfect sub.

Guest alex

If he was fit I think he'd defintely be wroth a start for us. I appreciate you're talking about a better scenario, in which case I'd agree.

I must admit that atmosphere last night was like SJP used to be. It was absolutely fantastic, you'd struggle to find anywhere in the league that produces more noise than that. Such a shame though that it is so few and far between. I really can't remember the last time I celebrated as much as the one Martins scored. The whole place went absolutely mad. That and the sheer heartbreak I was suffering after their goal really can't be described. I don't think it hit home until that goal last night how much of an impact relegation would have on me. I was absolutely crushed. The emotion over the whole game was something else.

shearercelebrateNNP_450x300.jpg

:rolleyes:

Still not safe by any means, but this now gives us a much needed confidence boost going into Saturday. Something which we really need.