Ban considered for Spice Gold, herbal high as strong as some skunk cannabis

Park Life

The government's drug advisers are to consider next week whether to ban Spice Gold, a herbal smoking mixture that is as strong as some strains of skunk cannabis, and other "legal highs".

Spice is sold on the internet and in "head shops" as a herbal high and a nicotine-free smoke, and even advertised as an "aromatic potpourri". It comes packaged in small sealed pouches holding 3g (less than an ounce).

But the former head of the Forensic Science Service's drugs intelligence unit, Les King, yesterday told a European drugs conference in Lisbon: "Just a few months ago, it was found that a smoking mixture known as Spice was not the innocuous material it purported to be. The claimed constituents, namely various herbs, were a Trojan horse."

He said that the substance's real psychoactive constituents were synthetic additives, such as ones that mimic the effects of some of the more powerful active ingredients in cannabis.

King told the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction conference that the Spice Gold smoking mixture had been imported first from China and had been around since 2006. It mostly contained an unidentified herbal matter, sold at about £15.50 for 3g and produced a "cannabis-like" effect. There was also a more powerful type, Spice Diamond, on the market, and similar substances were sold as Yucatan Fire.

What's all this about?

Guest Stevie
The government's drug advisers are to consider next week whether to ban Spice Gold, a herbal smoking mixture that is as strong as some strains of skunk cannabis, and other "legal highs".

Spice is sold on the internet and in "head shops" as a herbal high and a nicotine-free smoke, and even advertised as an "aromatic potpourri". It comes packaged in small sealed pouches holding 3g (less than an ounce).

But the former head of the Forensic Science Service's drugs intelligence unit, Les King, yesterday told a European drugs conference in Lisbon: "Just a few months ago, it was found that a smoking mixture known as Spice was not the innocuous material it purported to be. The claimed constituents, namely various herbs, were a Trojan horse."

He said that the substance's real psychoactive constituents were synthetic additives, such as ones that mimic the effects of some of the more powerful active ingredients in cannabis.

King told the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction conference that the Spice Gold smoking mixture had been imported first from China and had been around since 2006. It mostly contained an unidentified herbal matter, sold at about £15.50 for 3g and produced a "cannabis-like" effect. There was also a more powerful type, Spice Diamond, on the market, and similar substances were sold as Yucatan Fire.

What's all this about?

They sell it in the Kard Bar in Newcastle near China Town. I might give it a go, I shouldn't really because largely I'm illegal drug free for almost 7 years.

I honestly think making anything "natural" illegal is taking the piss - maybe processing as far as cocaine/heroin/acid is another argument but actual plants is ridiculous.

I honestly think making anything "natural" illegal is taking the piss - maybe processing as far as cocaine/heroin/acid is another argument but actual plants is ridiculous.

Totally agree. The lengths the state is going to - to ruin everything is ureal. :lol:

Always assumed it was shit.

So do the police, fortunately they generally can't tell the difference between weed and legal "herbal high" crap. :D

Guest alex
I knew a guy who used it to wean himself off.

Maybe it should be used for that.

Wean himself off what?

Guest alex
It's that salvia they want to be banning, funny old carry on that shit.

Presumably it's legal on the basis that one big bong of that and you probably won't go back for more. Weird shit.

Presumably it's legal on the basis that one big bong of that and you probably won't go back for more. Weird shit.

I think you could be on to something there, I've thought about it but haven't quite got the balls to try it again. :D

I think you could be on to something there, I've thought about it but haven't quite got the balls to try it again. :lol:

Last time I tried it I was under the illusion that my mate's fireplace had morphed into a Samurai. :D

I think you could be on to something there, I've thought about it but haven't quite got the balls to try it again. :icon_lol:

Last time I tried it I was under the illusion that my mate's fireplace had morphed into a Samurai. :D

:D:lol:

Wacky thought he saw pixies but he was just sitting in front of the mirrir.

Wacky thought he saw pixies but he was just sitting in front of the mirrir.

Fucking hell. That'd do Fop proud. :lol: