Coloccini

Scottish Mag

The thing that surprises me the most about him was when he was playing in Spain early in his career (Alavés, Atlético Madrid, Villarreal) he had this reputation of being quite an aggressive and tough tackling centre half (although pretty rash at times), however we have not seen this at all and he is far from the commanding centre half some thought he was...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Collocini is a good defender but he should never have been bought as he is completely unsuited to this league. He'll be fine once he goes back to Spain or whatever but as long as he stays in the EPL he'll be exposed again and again.

The thing that surprises me the most about him was when he was playing in Spain early in his career (Alavés, Atlético Madrid, Villarreal) he had this reputation of being quite an aggressive and tough tackling centre half (although pretty rash at times), however we have not seen this at all and he is far from the commanding centre half some thought he was...

I think we've seen that side of him - how many of the penalties we've conceeded was because of him?

I had hoped he'd turn into the clever, ball-playing CB to complement Bassong's no-nonsense strong defending. Unfortunately, he ball-watches, doesn't read the game well, has got no pace, is as weak as piss, and gets turned at will (I can't remember a CB who let players in behind so easily and often). I think he's got progressively worse and is now a far bigger liability than Bramble ever was, for example. I hope he is dropped tonight.

I think he's got progressively worse

That's my view which means there may be hope - I honestly think he looked decent early on but has lost form and now looks less suited to the English game than he did at the start of the season.

Maybe the "decent but not suited" does apply - I think the same of Boumsong.

Maybe, or it may have just as much to do with opponents having worked out his weaknesses as anything else. Whatever though, I'd rather see Edgar at CB than Coloccini and I'm not kidding.

I think I mentioned after the West Ham game in September that I was very worried about what Cole did to him - I think that fear has been realised against other "strong" strikers.

Total non story. He was dropped about 6 weeks ago for a few games

After all his talk of the great managers he's played for showing faith in their players, Shearer's dropped players week in week out.

Reminds me of when Homer was Bart's Pee Wee football coach and he spends all his time cutting players.

"Good practice, kids. Now it’s time for the easiest part of any coach's job. The cuts. Although I wasn't able to cut everyone I wanted to, I have cut a lot of you. Wendell is cut. Rudy is cut. Janey, you're gone. Steven, I like your hustle....That's why it was so hard to cut you. Congratulations, the rest of you made the team....Except you, you and you."

<_<:(

I think I mentioned after the West Ham game in September that I was very worried about what Cole did to him - I think that fear has been realised against other "strong" strikers.

When he got raped by fuller in the stoke match was when i arrived at the conclusion he was crap - I think he ran Nolan close to 'slowest turning circle of the year' award but kevin just nicks it for me (consistently slower than a fully laden coal barge)

Don't think he's anywhere near as bad as what some are making out. He started pretty well and has generally only looked really bad when he's been put on the left of the two centre half where he just cannot play.

He does lack a bit of pace and presence in the air but more than anything his confidence is now just shot to pieces. He looks like a rabbit in headlights but I have a certain amount of sympathy for him there given what's gone on here this season.

No doubt we will hear him slagging off his time here next season when he's back in Spain but with the comedy this place has been I wouldn't blame him.

At the end of the day even if he has a complete mare tonight handing Alves a hatrick, very little of the responsibility for us going down would lie with the likes of him.

Don't think he's anywhere near as bad as what some are making out. He started pretty well and has generally only looked really bad when he's been put on the left of the two centre half where he just cannot play.

He does lack a bit of pace and presence in the air but more than anything his confidence is now just shot to pieces. He looks like a rabbit in headlights but I have a certain amount of sympathy for him there given what's gone on here this season.

No doubt we will hear him slagging off his time here next season when he's back in Spain but with the comedy this place has been I wouldn't blame him.

At the end of the day even if he has a complete mare tonight handing Alves a hatrick, very little of the responsibility for us going down would lie with the likes of him.

About right and after Shearer dropped him i thought he came back well in the game against Portsmouth. Will he ever be suited to the prem, who knows, we may not find out.

Also unlike most of his collegaues he has been fit and available to play for every single game this season, surely that must be unique amongs toon players!!!

In a team doing well he would be a class defender. You have to question his appetite for a relegation fight.

What rubbish.....you just have to look at Bassong.

In a team doing well he would be a class defender. You have to question his appetite for a relegation fight.

Yes but Collocini would and has done fine in decent teams before, he's just not suited whatsoever to the EPL. Even at that he isn't world class or anything but he's not a bad defender by any means.

The amount of times he's been done for pace is depressing. Seeing Gerrard gallop away from him as he hopelessly trailed behind was so symbolic of our season.

His hair trailing even further behind.

The amount of times he's been done for pace is depressing. Seeing Gerrard gallop away from him as he hopelessly trailed behind was so symbolic of our season.

His hair trailing even further behind.

It's a hard knock life, for him. It's a hard knock life, for him.

Yes but Collocini would and has done fine in decent teams before, he's just not suited whatsoever to the EPL. Even at that he isn't world class or anything but he's not a bad defender by any means.

I wouldn't say that. He had a decent season last year but that's about it.

I think his hair is letting him down badly. It clearly looks ridiculous in this country but was likely respected in his own and in Spain where men have greater freedom to look like poodles.

If he was to adopt a skinhead I think he would feel a lot better about himself and get stuck in a bit more. He'd probably run quite a bit faster too. Self image is a critical thing and he must know, by now, that in this country he looks a total gimpoid.

Edited by trophyshy

I think he would be a decent player in a team at the other end of the table sometimes good players struggle when a team is struggling look at the west ham team that went down a few years ago who would of thought Joe Cole , Michael Carrick and a few other decent players would of played so bad as to get relegated .

I thought he was going to be a magnificent buy, but really it turned out such a waste of 10.2M. Bassong and Stevie Taylor are our best bets at centre half, that is, we do managed to keep a hold of the two of them.