Coloccini

Scottish Mag

I think Faye came in for quite a bit of criticism whilst he was here.

Steven Taylor isnt the answer to CB, but he'll do ok as a utility defender when required.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

simply not suited to english football. doesn't make him a rubbish defender though. hope he goes to a top 6 club in spain this summer, because that's where he belongs. everyone will be happy if that's the case. could see a return to deportivo to be honest, and they're back on the rise after a few miserable years. i'm sure valencia could use his services as well.

To be honest he has played in a poor team this season and he has had no midfield support whatsoever.

So at times the defence has been under a lot of pressure and occasionally we haven't had a consistent back four due to injuries and the like.

I wouldn't write him off as a premiership flop just yet.

However for the short term Shearer put Collocini in the right place tonight...

simply not suited to english football. doesn't make him a rubbish defender though. hope he goes to a top 6 club in spain this summer, because that's where he belongs. everyone will be happy if that's the case. could see a return to deportivo to be honest, and they're back on the rise after a few miserable years. i'm sure valencia could use his services as well.

Can you expalin to us idiots why you rate him?

Guest alex

I didn't see him play in Spain and can't remember him in the World Cup but I'd guess he played as a genuine sweeper with a starting position about 5 yards deeper because his reading of the game is his best asset. Nowhere near worth £10m irrespective of that though.

Can you expalin to us idiots why you rate him?

His rating is not suited to english football. :rolleyes:

I didn't see him play in Spain and can't remember him in the World Cup but I'd guess he played as a genuine sweeper with a starting position about 5 yards deeper because his reading of the game is his best asset. Nowhere near worth £10m irrespective of that though.

After finishing KK's biography I get the feeling that maybe he was his signing (or he at least liked the idea of him).

His new Prince Albert, especially by the way he spoke about Albert and his role within the team but without KK and the players he needs around him it's all turned to shit.

Guest alex

After finishing KK's biography I get the feeling that maybe he was his signing (or he at least liked the idea of him).

His new Prince Albert, especially by the way he spoke about Albert and his role within the team but without KK and the players he needs around him it's all turned to shit.

Guthrie and Bassong were his. The rest were Wise's. Supposedly anyway. He doesn't look a patch on Albert either tbf who (despite being a sweeper) was good enough in the air and strong enough to play in England.

Guthrie and Bassong were his. The rest were Wise's. Supposedly anyway. He doesn't look a patch on Albert either tbf who (despite being a sweeper) was good enough in the air and strong enough to play in England.

True. It was just the ball playing defender (obviously not something Colo can claim to be anyway) that made me question whether he was or wasn't.

Academic really.

I'd like to see if he performs any better after a hair cut and the wool no longer pulled over his eyes.

Guest alex

Is he any better than Rozenhal? Rozenhal was probably better on the ball. Equally ill-suited to the PL in a defensive sense. The fucking money we've wasted on centre-halves is unreal. Even Woodgate was only a really good signing because of the fee we got for him (due to the lack of games he was available for). Still better value than most of the others though.

Is he any better than Rozenhal? Rozenhal was probably better on the ball. Equally ill-suited to the PL in a defensive sense. The fucking money we've wasted on centre-halves is unreal. Even Woodgate was only a really good signing because of the fee we got for him (due to the lack of games he was available for). Still better value than most of the others though.

True. This is where English and European football is so different and probably why both Rozenhal and Coloccini really should be playing in front of the back four as a DM, they just don't get the urgency of getting rid of the ball.

I can see Shearer teaming Bassong up with an experienced premier league defender next season if all goes to plan.

We should have kept Bramble

And O'Brien.

I know it's hindsight but spending 10m on a replacement who so far has looked inferior was madness. Same story as elbowing Sir Bob for Souness

Guest alex

And O'Brien.

I know it's hindsight but spending 10m on a replacement who so far has looked inferior was madness. Same story as elbowing Sir Bob for Souness

Fair enough like. And despite the praise being lavished on Taylor, you'd have to say Bramble is still a better centre-half.

And O'Brien.

Fair enough like. And despite the praise being lavished on Taylor, you'd have to say Bramble is still a better centre-half.

Agree entirely.

Guest alex

And O'Brien.

Agree entirely.

I think at the time most people thought he's been here for 4 (or was it 5?) seasons and he's never ironed out the problems with lack of concentration, therefore it's a backwards move to give him a new deal. He's as big a confidence player as Martins as well, i.e. when his tail is up he looks top drawer, when it isn't though...enough said. I also think 2J was right when he said he perhaps doesn't have the mentality to play in front of a big crowd every week and going to Wigan = less pressure on him which has helped him.

But aye, it would have defintely been better hanging onto him the way things have turned out. Him and Taylor would be him and O'Brien mk II mind. Him and Bassong would be alright.

Is it impossible to go out and get 5 or 6 strapping local lads and train them up?

Guest alex

Is it impossible to go out and get 5 or 6 strapping local lads and train them up?

I think someone's probably tried that before :rolleyes:

Guest alex

Tbf, until lately just about everyone would had put him in our best back four, i.e.: Beye-Colo-Bassong-Enrique.