Coloccini

Scottish Mag

Tbf, until lately just about everyone would had put him in our best back four, i.e.: Beye-Colo-Bassong-Enrique.

I'll be the exception to that rule then... :rolleyes:

I'm worrying that I'm beginning to dislike him almost as much as Matt does with Ameobi.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is he any better than Rozenhal? Rozenhal was probably better on the ball. Equally ill-suited to the PL in a defensive sense. The fucking money we've wasted on centre-halves is unreal. Even Woodgate was only a really good signing because of the fee we got for him (due to the lack of games he was available for). Still better value than most of the others though.

Is it impossible to go out and get 5 or 6 strapping local lads and train them up?

I think someone's probably tried that before :rolleyes:

Others have done it if you look at the likes of Wheater etc...

Guest alex
Is he any better than Rozenhal? Rozenhal was probably better on the ball. Equally ill-suited to the PL in a defensive sense. The fucking money we've wasted on centre-halves is unreal. Even Woodgate was only a really good signing because of the fee we got for him (due to the lack of games he was available for). Still better value than most of the others though.

Is it impossible to go out and get 5 or 6 strapping local lads and train them up?

We've tried it with the likes of Beherall.

I'm from the school that believes you should spend from the front is all. No nonsense defending shouldn't need 10m pound crap defenders etc...Just saying...

Guest alex

I'm from the school that believes you should spend from the front is all. No nonsense defending shouldn't need 10m pound crap defenders etc...Just saying...

I'd agree. That's a bit different from picking up a few big, dirty centre-halves from local football though. It's not quite that simple. Also, you could go and get a no-nonsense defender who looks great playing in a struggling side but as soon as you start doing something and are looking for someone to be able to pass it rather than hoof it every time, said defender becomes surplus to requirements.

I'd agree. That's a bit different from picking up a few big, dirty centre-halves from local football though. It's not quite that simple. Also, you could go and get a no-nonsense defender who looks great playing in a struggling side but as soon as you start doing something and are looking for someone to be able to pass it rather than hoof it every time, said defender becomes surplus to requirements.

It is something I totally agree with Leazes that defending more or less starts at the front. If you have good players at the front who are able to keep possession and dominate the game you ease pressure off defenders. But in a team like ours where the defenders are constantly put into difficult situations they are bound to make mistakes and blunders. You probably could put the likes of Ferdinand into the team and they would look half the players they are for a good team.

Ha!

I'd hope Colo will adjust next season(if we keep him) and will have better runs to pick out. However, if his reputation is intact, we might get our money back on him from a LaLiga team.

I watched Nolan last night, and at most clubs, the central midfielders drop deep to take the ball off the back four and spread is about, always looking for it. That just isn't the case with him. Nolan played pretty well, but I just find it so strange, the central midfielder should be the hub of the team, everything should go through him-he just didn't want to know. Very odd.