Gareth Southgate

jonpneumonic

Having watched everything on Setanta, just how much of a cunt was the guy interviewing Southgate?

We won and I am fucking stoked but tbf if i had been stood anywhere near those two I would quite happily stoved that fucka's heed in

Yeah Southgate was very decent in his approach.

He was dodging questions well only for them to be reiterated in different words.

Setanta wankers.

Southgate was dignity personified tonight.

Felt a bit sorry for him.

I feel more sorry for Gibson.

Gibson's fault for sticking with so many bad managers. Southgate seems like a good guy and I do feel sorry for him but he has done awful with Boro especially in the transfer marker (not that we've done much better!). Theyve had the likes of Shwarzer, Woodgate, Yakubu etc leave in recent years and have been replaced with either no-one, utter gash or inexperienced youths. They've spent a surprising amount of money on players in his time there too.

Edited by TicTacWoe

Interviewer was useless with Shearer too. Trying to goad a reaction from a stoic lad like Shearer on whether he'll stay after the season ends is amateur hour stuff.

Southgate was undone by a couple of bad signings and a couple of bad injuries I reckon. Alves has been an utter disaster, £12m and 4 goals, the same number as Ameobi...

Fly me to the moon, bay-beez.

I've no time for the smoggies but Southgate seems a decent human being. Gibson's also been a fantastic chairman but he's going to lose a truck load more money if they're relegated, as seems very likely now. You have to wonder whether he can afford to bankroll the whole damn party, my impression is hardly anyone turns up for home matches as it is.

Gibson's also been a fantastic chairman

He's a fantastic chairman from the manager's point of view but as TTW says, he's picked poor managers and stuck with them too long. If Boro go down then it'll be as much his fault as it is Southgate's, who really should have been given the boot long before now.

Gibson's also been a fantastic chairman

He's a fantastic chairman from the manager's point of view but as TTW says, he's picked poor managers and stuck with them too long. If Boro go down then it'll be as much his fault as it is Southgate's, who really should have been given the boot long before now.

Aye but he's shovelled in a large part of his fortune into a unfashionalbe Yorkshire club with 20,000 supporters and taken them from no-hopers to League Cup winners and a premiership club. If I was a supporter of theirs I wouldn't criticise him at all. He may not have chosen the best manager but he's backed him and stuck by him, something we are constantly criticised for not doing. Be interesting to see what he does next, I assume Southgate will resign if they're relegated.

Haven't had a chance to catch any of the interview.

What were the questions?

BTW: Do hope that Boro keep him.

So is that Middlesbrough down? No, we'll keep battling etc

Yeah, but is it more likely that you'll go down than stay up? It's going to be tough etc.

Guest alex

I like Gibson and I like Southgate but the only reason the former has stuck / is sticking with the latter is that he can't afford to sack him.

He may not have chosen the best manager but he's backed him and stuck by him, something we are constantly criticised for not doing.

If Kinnear hadn't had his heart troubles and he'd stayed on and taken us down would we be applauding Ashley for sticking with him?

He's appointed 3 very average managers imo and stuck with them for too long (granted McClaren did okay with them in a UEFA and CCC).

This season -Emnes 3.2 mil Digard 4 mil Hoyte 3 mil

Last Season Luke Young 3 mil Mido 6 mil Gary O'Neill 5 mil Alves 12 mil Shawkey 650k

Season Before Arca 2 mil Huth 6 mi Woodgate 7 mil Aliedere 2 mil

So altogether around 54million in 3 years, not quite the level of insane-o-spending ourselves or Spurs have been through but considering where they are now you have to say Southgates done pretty bad in the transfer market.

During this time they had the likes of Mark Shwarzer, Luke Young, Yakubu, Woodgate, Boatang, Viduka, Cattermole etc leave all of which were not properly replaced. I admire Gibsons loyalty to his managers but sometimes you have to know when the time is right to sack as well.

Edited by TicTacWoe

He may not have chosen the best manager but he's backed him and stuck by him, something we are constantly criticised for not doing.

If Kinnear hadn't had his heart troubles and he'd stayed on and taken us down would we be applauding Ashley for sticking with him?

He's appointed 3 very average managers imo and stuck with them for too long (granted McClaren did okay with them in a UEFA and CCC).

I take your point. I think the difference between Southgate and Kinnear is that Gibson sees/saw him as the young talent to take Boro forward over the next few years. Kinnear on the other hand is a washed up old never-was who was employed as a stop gap and then just stuck around like a bad smell. In Southgate's case maybe he saw potential and wanted to put in place a long term appointment.....I don't think it's easy to attract a decent manager to Boro. Like ourselves under Ashley maybe.

I admire Gibson's loyalty here if not his judgement. Still I realise there's possibly a more cynical explanation for it.

Seems a canny bloke all in all but needs to sort his fucking hair out. Still, they lost a lot of key players and he replaced them poorly so you can't really feel too sympathetic (and the fact he's managing Boro has something to do with that like).

I think Boro as a whole have been approaching relegation steadily (much like ourselves) for a few seasons now though.