F1 2010 - it's all going to change!

JJ

from the beeb (my emphasis):-

One of the most famous teams in Formula One, Ferrari, may not be on the starting grid for the 2010 season.

Ferrari has said it will not take part in the sport next season if planned big changes to the rules go ahead.

F1 bosses want the sport to be cheaper for new teams, so have asked teams to only spend £40m per season.

Teams that agree to the spending cuts will drive under different rules to the teams that don't, which has angered the top people at Ferrari.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from the beeb (my emphasis):-

One of the most famous teams in Formula One, Ferrari, may not be on the starting grid for the 2010 season.

Ferrari has said it will not take part in the sport next season if planned big changes to the rules go ahead.

F1 bosses want the sport to be cheaper for new teams, so have asked teams to only spend £40m per season.

Teams that agree to the spending cuts will drive under different rules to the teams that don't, which has angered the top people at Ferrari.

:icon_lol:

The new teams will be interesting to watch. BBC often show old Grand Prix on the red button in the lead up to a race and it always takes me back seeing Forti, Simtek, Pacific and even Jordan when they had Hart engines. Also interesting to see the shape and looks of the cars over the years with rule changes and aerodynamics taking effect.

I hope the budget cap has been sorted. I think there should be a bit more testing, but everyone should have a budget of £Xm. And that the gold medal point scoring thing should just be dropped.

Who was it that had the six wheeled cars all those years ago? Dark blue and sponsored by Elf iirc.

The new teams will be interesting to watch. BBC often show old Grand Prix on the red button in the lead up to a race and it always takes me back seeing Forti, Simtek, Pacific and even Jordan when they had Hart engines. Also interesting to see the shape and looks of the cars over the years with rule changes and aerodynamics taking effect.

I hope the budget cap has been sorted. I think there should be a bit more testing, but everyone should have a budget of £Xm. And that the gold medal point scoring thing should just be dropped.

Who was it that had the six wheeled cars all those years ago? Dark blue and sponsored by Elf iirc.

that would be the Tyrrell p34 from 1976. Williams tested a 6 wheel car in the 80's i think which had 4 wheels at the back ie. double the traction so it was banned on the spot cos it would have walked the championship that year!!

found this on you tube. canny cool!!

Edited by AvatarAxeman

Aye the Williams 6 seater... :icon_lol:

About the same time as Brabham were developing the 'fan' car and a little before Colin Chapman was experimenting with the twin chassis IIRC.

Now this is fantastic news... hope it comes off :lol:

The historic Lotus name is poised to return to Formula 1 after submitting an entry for the 2010 championship.

The Norfolk-based Litespeed team have bought the rights to the name Team Lotus, which disappeared from F1 following financial problems in 1994.

Lotus won seven constructors' crowns and six drivers' champions, including Jim Clark and Graham Hill, during their golden era in the 1960s and '70s.

The new Team Lotus has lodged an entry for next year as a "cost-capped" team.

They will use Cosworth engines and have a car designed under the leadership of former Toyota and Renault technical director Mike Gascoyne.

Gascoyne told BBC Radio Norfolk the Lotus brand should help the team's bid to secure a place on the 1010 grid.

"Certainly it should help us, it's obviously one of the most famous names in Formula 1, and still the fourth most successful constructor in F1 history.

"To come back in with the Lotus name and to be based in Norfolk is a great story for Formula 1.

"We've secured the lease to the RTN factory in Hingham near to Lotus and we've been in discussion with Lotus and [their parent company] Proton.

"For me to continue my F1 career under the banner of the Team Lotus name and help to bring it back to its deserving place in the world championship is a fantastic feeling and something that I am extremely proud to be doing," said Gascoyne.

The FIA will announce which teams have been successful in gaining entries on 12 June.

The FIA's ongoing negotiations to agree a budget cap of around £40m with the 10 existing teams on the grid is partly designed to encourage more teams to enter the sport.

But there is an ongoing row over the plans between the FIA and the F1 Teams' Association (Fota).

The Fota teams - which include big names such as Ferrari, McLaren and Renault - lodged entries that were conditional on FIA president Max Mosley acting on a compromise agreement negotiated at the Monaco Grand Prix last month.

But Mosley appears to have hardened his position in the fortnight since then and is now saying that the Fota teams would have to organise their own championship if they want to write the rules.

Team Lotus have joined US F1, Spain's Campos Racing and several other largely unheralded outfits in adding their names to the list of new entrants on 29 May.

The ownership rights for the name were bought by businessman David Hunt - the brother of the late former world champion James - when Team Lotus collapsed.

Former Lotus F1 engineer Nino Judge and Steve Kenchington have been named as team principal and director of engineering, respectively.

'David Hunt has been the custodian of the name for so many years and we thank him for entrusting us not just with its safeguard but, more importantly, its development in the racing world of tomorrow," said Judge.

Former Lotus driver Johnny Herbert has also joined the new team as driver manager and global commercial ambassador.

If the team's application is successful it will mark a return to F1 by one of its most celebrated teams.

Colin Chapman founded Lotus in 1952 and went on to influence the careers of some of the sport's great drivers - and cars.

Stirling Moss gave Lotus their first grand prix win at Monaco in 1960, signalling the team's rise in competitiveness.

In 1962, Chapman designed the revolutionary one-piece, or monocoque, chassis based on aircraft design.

The following season, the dominant Lotus powered Clark to his first title and the Scot added a second in 1965.

However, Lotus' history has been marked as much by tragedy as success.

In 1968 Clark was killed in a Formula Two race; his Lotus team-mate Hill went on to win his second championship that year.

Austrian Jochen Rindt became the sport's first posthumous world champion in 1970 when he died driving for Lotus during practice for the Italian Grand Prix.

Rindt's replacement, Emerson Fittipaldi, won another title for Lotus in 1972 with Mario Andretti becoming the team's sixth world champion in 1978.

Andretti's triumph was down to another Chapman design perfection known as "ground effect," where air flowing under the car was channelled to create increased levels of aerodynamic downforce.

But Andretti's win was also marked by sadness as his popular team-mate Ronnie Peterson died when he was seriously injured at Monza.

Four years later, Chapman, who handed future world champion Nigel Mansell his debut in 1980, suffered a heart attack and died.

Under new leadership, Lotus enjoyed limited success in the mid-1980s, despite having Ayrton Senna, who would go on to win three world titles, at the wheel.

The team succumbed to financial pressures in 1994 and withdrew from F1, but remains the fourth most successful constructor of all time.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/8084475.stm

Now this is fantastic news... hope it comes off :lol:

As an F1 Rejects devotee, I'm far more interested in the fact that Adrian Campos might be back as a team owner next year. :aye:

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting development. Still think they're trying to call Max's bluff mind you...

Formula One has been thrown into chaos with the news that the Formula One Teams Association (Fota) plan to set up a rival championship in 2010.

World motorsport boss Max Mosley had written to five of the potential breakaway teams in a bid to end the bitter row over budget cap proposals.

But the appeal of the FIA chief does not appear to have had any impact.

Following a four-hour meeting, Fota announced that it had grown frustrated with the stance of Mosley and the FIA.

"The teams cannot continue to compromise on the fundamental values of the sport and have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 World Championship," said a Fota statement.

"These teams therefore have no alternative other than to commence the preparation for a new championship which reflects the values of its participants and partners.

"This series will have transparent governance, one set of regulations, encourage more entrants and listen to the wishes of the fans, including offering lower prices for spectators worldwide, partners and other important stakeholders.

"The major drivers, stars, brands, sponsors, promoters and companies historically associated with the highest level of motorsport will all feature in this new series."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/8108488.stm

Very interesting development. Still think they're trying to call Max's bluff mind you...

Me too. I certainly hope that's the case anyway. A split will result in both new series being devalued, like when CART split into Champ Cars and the Indy Racing League in America a few years back.

I'm in the "start a new formula" camp. The teams pay half their royalties to Bernie anyway so actually only have to rake in 50% of the turnover that they do currently to break even. And they're promising to offer this back to the fans by way of reduced ticket prices and other such ideas.

Bring it on :scratchchin:

I'm in the "start a new formula" camp. The teams pay half their royalties to Bernie anyway so actually only have to rake in 50% of the turnover that they do currently to break even. And they're promising to offer this back to the fans by way of reduced ticket prices and other such ideas.

Bring it on :icon_lol:

As long as they don't go near any of the Tilke tracks i'm all for it.

F1 doesn't equal Ferrari. However if Ferrari (and the rest of the established teams) race in a different formulae next season then the best drivers will go with them and the FIA Formula 1 World Championship will be made up of Williams, Force India and 10 new teams. It'll become a farce and the fans will watch the new series.

By definition the FIA need Ferrari more than Ferrari need the FIA hence why they've gone all legal. The majority of the FIA's revenue comes from F1.

You'd do well to watch the video clips on the BBC about it. John Watson, Murray Walker and even Bernie talk a lot of sense.

"Silverstone was like watching paint dry - there wasn't a single second of excitement all afternoon" - and I'm quoting a petrolhead mate who was there

"Silverstone was like watching paint dry - there wasn't a single second of excitement all afternoon" - and I'm quoting a petrolhead mate who was there

There were some good battles (the Alonso/Hamilton one particularly), they were just miles down the field.