Green Day

LeazesMag

i don't give a shit about what the band members say, that's a fact and has no bearing on my (lack of) aesthetic appreciation of Green Day's music

Green Day's pretention is in their musical rhetoric whilst Radiohead's isn't

we all know Thom Yorke's a cunt...no shit...he's written some great songs though

gobbledeegook

only thing that matters is that you like it

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't give a shit about what the band members say, that's a fact and has no bearing on my (lack of) aesthetic appreciation of Green Day's music

we all know Thom Yorke's a cunt...no shit...he's written some great songs though

:D

What a Legend.

Posting this list in one breath and having the audacity to call a band who do songs like Geek Stink Breath pretentious with the next.

:o

Edited by Happy Face

Never mind Tom's waffle. Judge the art, not the artist*. Street Spirit is a fucking class song.

*Unless we're talking about U2 obviously who are just cunts and fair game in every respect :D

Guest alex

gobbledeegook

only thing that matters is that you like it

Exactly. Anyway, he's got a fucking cheek.

Listened to it once, all the way through so far. Not sure tbh. Seems a bit soft for them.... maybe it'll grow on me.

As for them being pretentious? Are you serious :D

Oh and the opening drum beat for Do you know your enemy sounds like the beginning of I am the resurrection :o

''Protest songs or rebel songs, whatever you want to call them should come from the same place as like a love song, so that the person can make up their own mind''

Pretentious! :D

Sloop John will look back in 15 years and realise what a twat he was. I can't remember the last time I listened to music with such self-consciousness.

Also, fwiw, I enjoyed a fair few of the albums on Sloop's list and had them recommended to me by the "Ironic Hipster" crowd but I enjoyed them on musical merit rather than some deep-seated desire to shun the mainstream or whatever it is he hopes to achieve by filling his record collection with acceptable records.

Bollocks to any scene, just rock out.

Honestly, looking at John's list, is there any album you'd put on just to listen to and hopelessly sing along? They all seem like intensive listens with the possible exceptions of Wilco and Annie. Some of my favourite stuff is Blondie because I can put it on and hopelessly sing like a twat to it. Well, and they're pretty much perfect pop tracks but it's mostly the first thing.

Edited by Stiva

I think the only thing I really listen to on Sloops top 10 list is Captain Beefheart. A lot of people regard Don Vliet as a consciously avant garde performer however to most people he is just insane, literally mad as a box of frogs. In most aspects of his life I doubt he has ever gone out of his way - even with his paintings and sculptures - to push the boundaries, he is simply mad.

Oh and the opening drum beat for Do you know your enemy sounds like the beginning of I am the resurrection :D

There is an extra bass drum beat in Know you enemy but I know what you mean, it's literally exactly the same without that extra drum beat, I wonder if that's what it's for?

To be honest though a lot of drum introductions probably clash. :o

Oh and the opening drum beat for Do you know your enemy sounds like the beginning of I am the resurrection :D

There is an extra bass drum beat in Know you enemy but I know what you mean, it's literally exactly the same without that extra drum beat, I wonder if that's what it's for?

Pretty much. There's loads of songs that use the intro from "Be My Baby", for example.

Sloop John will look back in 15 years and realise what a twat he was. I can't remember the last time I listened to music with such self-consciousness.

Also, fwiw, I enjoyed a fair few of the albums on Sloop's list and had them recommended to me by the "Ironic Hipster" crowd but I enjoyed them on musical merit rather than some deep-seated desire to shun the mainstream or whatever it is he hopes to achieve by filling his record collection with acceptable records.

Bollocks to any scene, just rock out.

Honestly, looking at John's list, is there any album you'd put on just to listen to and hopelessly sing along? They all seem like intensive listens with the possible exceptions of Wilco and Annie. Some of my favourite stuff is Blondie because I can put it on and hopelessly sing like a twat to it. Well, and they're pretty much perfect pop tracks but it's mostly the first thing.

fennesz - endless summer

avey tare & panda bear - spirit they're gone, spirit they've vanished

manatees - icarus, the sunclimber

lightning bolt - hypermagic mountain

six organs of admittance - school of the flower

jesu - jesu

carla bozulich - evangelista

stars of the lid - the tired sounds of stars of the lid

tim hecker - harmony in ultraviolet

lia jianhong - san sheng shi

red house painters - old ramon

murcof - remembranza

pocahaunted - the beast that you are

wilderness - wilderness

beach house - beach house

pantha du prince - this bliss

pan sonic - aaltopiiri

mu - afro finger gel

akron / family - akron / family

david thomas broughton - the complete guide to insufficiency

keith fullerton whitman - lisbon

sun 0))) - white2

polmo polpo - like hearts swelling

gillian welch - time (the revelator)

grouper - dragging a dear deer up a hill

the pipettes - we are the pipettes

atavist / nadja - 12012291920 / 1414101

supersilent - 6

doveman - with my right hand i raise the dead

wilco - yankee hotel foxtrot

bardo pond - ticket crystals

apse - spirit

sonic youth - murray street

emeralds - solar bridge

venetian snares - rossz csillag alatt született

madvillian - madvilliany

kode9 & the spaceape - memories of the future

james blackshaw - litany of echoes

sun kil moon - april

louis sclavis - l'imparfait des langues

pan sonic - kesto

jim o'rourke - insignificance

magik markers - boss

ghost - hypnotic underworld

birchville cat motel - gunpowder temple of heaven

tarentel - ghetto beats on the surface of the sun

cyrus - from the shadows

scott walker - the drift

rivulets - debridement

natural snow buildings - the dance of the moon & the sun

autechre - confield

burial - burial

brightback morninglight - brightback morninglight

edan - beauty and the beat

annie - anniemal

coil - the ape of naples

tom waits - alice

dalek - absence

these are all records I can happily sing along too

and how on earth do you know I listen to music self-consciously? maybe I do enjoy a lot of these records like you enjoy blondie?

:D

What a Legend.

Posting this list in one breath and having the audacity to call a band who do songs like Geek Stink Breath pretentious with the next.

:o

have you seen the video for When September Ends?

Edited by SloopJohn

Director: Michael Perlmutter.

So you are judging a band's music on their music videos and at the same time calling the band pretentious ?

I haven't seen the video and I don't care to.

Yeah, I've heard the same drum intro used elsewhere (can't remember the song atm though).

Tbh I can't see Green Day 'borrowing' the drum intro from a Stone Roses song (although I listen to both bands so I guess they could too). It's just a coincidence imo.

Made my ears prick up when I heard it for the 1st time on the radio though. Was expecting IATR not Green Day :o

Got it on Friday. 21st Century Breakdown and East Jesus Nowhere are the best songs on there and I quite like both the Gloria songs. The Static Age, the second half of American Eulogy, 21 Guns and Peacemaker are pretty good too. The others are kind of hit and miss and I think the album is missing an epic-style song like Jesus of Suburbia or Homecoming from American Idiot. On average I'd say it's better (AI had some right dross, like Are We The Waiting For This Song To End and Wake Me Up When It Does Already) than the previous but its good songs don't stand out as much.

Class new sig Tom btw, I was planning to change mine once we finally do go down and throw something from the title track in there.

Oh and the opening drum beat for Do you know your enemy sounds like the beginning of I am the resurrection :)

To be honest though a lot of drum introductions probably clash. :aye:

I'm not sure there is an extra beat. It sounds identical to me.

Still not 100% sure about the album yet. I stand by my original statement - seems a bit soft for them. Agree with the earlier comment about it missing an epic song. I'd be interested to see what the new stuff sounds like live though.

Also agree with LM. I don't think this is as good as AI. Mind you, it was always going to be difficult to top.

Did anyone catch them on T4 on Sunday? I missed the 1st 12mins before recording the rest.

Now playing the album in the office - loud :good:

Green Day LIVE @ The BBC

Pretty decent watch.

They play :- 21st Century Breakdown, Before the Lobotomy, East Jesus Nowhere - all from the new album and 'She' from Dookie.

Strangely 'She' is by far the best performance, Billie Joe totally fucks up the guitar solo too and just bursts out laughing, class :lol:.

Worth a watch.

interesting.......not done this before but has anybody ever downloaded some of these things from youtube on your hard disk ? Just looked at how it works

The video with sound or just the sound?

I have done it once or twice for obscure songs I had to find for rehearsals but just the sound.

The video with sound or just the sound?

I have done it once or twice for obscure songs I had to find for rehearsals but just the sound.

I don't know, I will go and see what it does with a couple of oldies I'd like

these files are clean etc I take it ?