If we stay up.

Park Life

Bassong is a must if we stay up

Enrique is a good left back, still young and getting more reliable.

Guthrie I'd keep simply for the fact we should be rid of most of our central midfielders and he's one of the least fucking awful

Taylor, he's a lercal lad, with lercal passion and I'm afraid that passion will be as important as anything else next season, where ever we are.

After that I'm struggling for a "must keep" that's realistically better than their replacements

Whats wrong with Beye? I know he is getting on but he is still a quality player.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guthrie I'd keep simply for the fact we should be rid of most of our central midfielders and he's one of the least fucking awful

Taylor, he's a lercal lad, with lercal passion and I'm afraid that passion will be as important as anything else next season, where ever we are.

After that I'm struggling for a "must keep" that's realistically better than their replacements

Whats wrong with Beye? I know he is getting on but he is still a quality player.

Can do 2 pos as well.

Guest alex
Think we must keep martins, get rid of owen, he is crap! dunno bout the duke!!

Ideally I'd replace the 3 of them. One game and Martins is a class act? Same for Viduka, etc. Owen isn't really good at anything these days either. All 3 should be on pay as you play as well. Impossible to plan when they're nearly all injured at one point.

Ideally I'd replace the 3 of them. One game and Martins is a class act? Same for Viduka, etc. Owen isn't really good at anything these days either. All 3 should be on pay as you play as well. Impossible to plan when they're nearly all injured at one point.

i think owen has turned into a poorer version of shearer in his latter days after injuries killed his pace. in other words, he's still a class finisher but needs chances on a plate and offers little to the general team play. unlike shearer, he doesn't have other attributes like strength and hold up play to counter his lack of mobility and pace - not worth the massive wages anymore, sadly.

martins is worth keeping because is an impact player unlike any other on our books and we will probably struggle to attract a player capable of what he is occasionally capable of doing for a few seasons. we won't have the pulling power that we've had for a few years now. martins is worth keeping even if we get other strikers in to replace the likes of viduka, shola and owen. we don't have the depth to shift them all and of all of them, martins is the one i'd hang on to.

i think owen has turned into a poorer version of shearer in his latter days after injuries killed his pace. in other words, he's still a class finisher but needs chances on a plate and offers little to the general team play. unlike shearer, he doesn't have other attributes like strength and hold up play to counter his lack of mobility and pace - not worth the massive wages anymore, sadly.

martins is worth keeping because is an impact player unlike any other on our books and we will probably struggle to attract a player capable of what he is occasionally capable of doing for a few seasons. we won't have the pulling power that we've had for a few years now. martins is worth keeping even if we get other strikers in to replace the likes of viduka, shola and owen. we don't have the depth to shift them all and of all of them, martins is the one i'd hang on to.

I beg to differ. On Owen being a class finisher and Shearer offering little in general play after that injury.

Guest alex

I suppose I did say 'ideally', in which case I'd agree re: Martins because he's an ideal supersub but that's not really a luxury we can afford. Agree in general about Owen accept about the finishing. I'm not sure he was ever a world class 'finisher' and he certainly isn't now. They're all either finished or very ordinary imo. People take the piss out of Spurs for Darren Bent at £17m but I'd take him ahead of any of our lot including Martins (and Bent is nothing special).

I beg to differ. On Owen being a class finisher and Shearer offering little in general play after that injury.

owen's strike rate for us in the few games he's managed while he's been here has been good. agree he's been poor recently but then, so have all the players.

shearer had more to offer in terms of general play after his injury than owen does post knee surgery, but he still didn't contribute much in terms of general play - he was often static with poor movement off the ball etc. he was really reduced to winning flick ons and playing as a targetman with his back to goal. agree that the little he had left in his locker meant it was worth building a team around him for all of those years because he was still one of the best finishers around. i think owen's game been hit so hard by his injuries that he isn't worth building a team around, especially with the wedge he's on.

I suppose I did say 'ideally', in which case I'd agree re: Martins because he's an ideal supersub but that's not really a luxury we can afford. Agree in general about Owen accept about the finishing. I'm not sure he was ever a world class 'finisher' and he certainly isn't now. They're all either finished or very ordinary imo. People take the piss out of Spurs for Darren Bent at £17m but I'd take him ahead of any of our lot including Martins (and Bent is nothing special).

the thing is, do you think we could attract a player like bent anymore? do you think we'd pay his fee (i'm sure spurs would want to recoup at least £10m of the £17m they splurged), and even if we agreed a fee and matched his wages (which i doubt ashley would do), would the player want come to a side that (assuming we stay up) has only just survived relegation.

i honestly don't see us signing more than one striker who is either as good as or better than martins for a while. if we were up there with everton and villa with a similar squad to those two i would agree that he would be one that we could maybe move on if better players were coming in that could help us step up to the next level. we're a way away from that though....need to survive this season and next before we let players like martins go.

Can do 2 pos as well.

I just reckon we could get a younger right back from the money we'd get from selling him on tbh.

I reckon he's a good player and certainly one of our better performers but I think we could improve on him without breaking the bank.

keep:

martins, bassong, beye, enrique, jonas

shift:

barton, collocini, duff, butt, ameobi,

I'd like to keep Duff actually, I've been impressed with his commitment recently. He's one of the few players who looked like they cared. Jonas for me does nothing. Martins, Bassong, Beye, Enrique and Guthrie are the others on my keep list..and maybe Viduka if he'd sign a 'pay as you play' contract.

Edited by duo

the thing is, do you think we could attract a player like bent anymore? do you think we'd pay his fee (i'm sure spurs would want to recoup at least £10m of the £17m they splurged), and even if we agreed a fee and matched his wages (which i doubt ashley would do), would the player want come to a side that (assuming we stay up) has only just survived relegation.

i honestly don't see us signing more than one striker who is either as good as or better than martins for a while. if we were up there with everton and villa with a similar squad to those two i would agree that he would be one that we could maybe move on if better players were coming in that could help us step up to the next level. we're a way away from that though....need to survive this season and next before we let players like martins go.

I think Owen has one more golden patch left in him. Needs service.

Spuds don't seem to know what they've got in Darren Bent. He's quick, powerful and a natural finisher and if he gets a couple of seasons as a first-choice striker he'll show that that fee wasn't as daft as some people seem to think. They've wasted him so far.

we need a more mobile midfield, that can keep the ball as well. I agree with the general consensus that if the midfield were better, our back 4 would possibly be the best we've had in a while. however, beye ain't getting any younger, enrique hasn't got adequate cover (though duff did play well against the smog) and is habitually injured.

forwards. owen, viduka and martins are also habitually injury prone and likely to miss at least a 3rd of the season, they need quality cover and or competition.

To go:

Cacapa, Geremi, Owen, Barton, Gonzalez, Ameobi, Viduka, Butt

To stay:

Harper, Taylor, Martins, Bassong, Enrique, Guthrie

Not too bothered whether the rest stay or go, cant see the likes of Colo leaving after 1 season, god knows whats going to happen to Xisco and dont know whether anyone would take Smith.

Still dont think we'll do much in the market this summer. Tweaking rather than overhauling (the latter of which is what is needed)

I was thinking Tuncay would be a decent buy for us.

I'd agree with that. He's a canny player and would be going for fairly cheap in the summer. We could (and probably will) do a lot worse than trying to take him, especially if we keep Viduka/Martins, they'll probably spend some time on the injury table and a Shola-led frontline doesn't fill me with confidence. This is assuming Owen leaves.

Obviously, when Nacho gets fit, we will never need worry about an attacking midfielder again, he shall become the focus of all our play.... I hold this truth to be self evident.

To go:

Cacapa, Geremi, Owen, Barton, Gonzalez, Ameobi, Viduka, Butt

To stay:

Harper, Taylor, Martins, Bassong, Enrique, Guthrie

Not too bothered whether the rest stay or go, cant see the likes of Colo leaving after 1 season, god knows whats going to happen to Xisco and dont know whether anyone would take Smith.

Still dont think we'll do much in the market this summer. Tweaking rather than overhauling (the latter of which is what is needed)

Why have you got 6? :o