First Euro '96, then the Olympics, now the ruggers...

smoggeordie

.....coming to SJP (maybe).

Football stadia part of 2015 bid

Millennium Stadium in Cardiff

The Millennium Stadium is used for Welsh rugby and football internationals

A successful England bid to host the 2015 Rugby World Cup would involve the use of football stadia such as Wembley and Anfield, BBC Sport understands.

Full details of the bid will be made public after it is presented to the International Rugby Board on Wednesday.

It is understood nine cities will be used for pool matches, with Old Trafford, the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff and the Emirates also involved.

The Rugby Football Union is targeting ticket sales of over three million.

RFU chief executive Francis Baron confirmed the bid last week, stating it was "time we brought the tournament back to England".

The RFU's five-strong Dublin delegation meeting on Wednesday includes 2003 World Cup winners Lawrence Dallaglio and Will Greenwood, plus Andy Burnham, the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport.

Other football stadia to be used in pool matches are believed to also include St Mary's stadium in Southampton, Elland Road in Leeds, the Walkers Stadium in Leicester, Coventry City's Ricoh Arena and Newcastle's St James' Park.

It is also proposed Twickenham would host the final but for the group games, Gloucester's Kingsholm and Leicester's Welford Road are the only recognised club rugby stadia set to be used.

Ireland and Scotland recently pulled out of any co-hosting bid with the RFU, while the decision for England to make a solo bid comes after Twickenham's failure to stage the 2007 World Cup, having lost by a landslide margin to France.

England hosted the World Cup in 1991 along with Ireland, Scotland, Wales and France and former England captain Dallaglio is confident his country would provide the perfect stage for the tournament.

Other countries in the running are South Africa - hosts in 1995 - Japan and Italy, with bids to host the tournament having to be submitted by 8 May.

The IRB will vote on the hosts for both the 2015 and 2019 World Cups on 28 July.

New Zealand will stage the 2011 Rugby World Cup.

-----------------------------------------------------

I presume they mean the 'new' Anfield there.

wouldnt be so sure they mean the new Anfield to be honest, No construction work has started and it seems that it's just a right fuck on getting it all started. Also what were the average capacities of the stadiums for the world cup in france? weren't they in the mid 30's-40's? Something which Anfield would fall under.

Rugby at SJP? hmmmmmmm Not sure I like the Idea of that like, Let the Mackems pitch take the strain they will still say "our stadium is better than yours cos we hosted the rugby world cup games"

Should go to Japan anyway, even as a New Zealander I admit they had the best bid for the 2011 World Cup, the only reason we won it is because we whored out the All Blacks so the 6 Nations teams could get even more annual spankings.

Guest alex
Should go to Japan anyway, even as a New Zealander I admit they had the best bid for the 2011 World Cup, the only reason we won it is because we whored out the All Blacks so the 6 Nations teams could get even more annual spankings.

Four more years tbh.

The RFU should just put a casual request (without spending any dosh on it) in every time it's up for decision, as it's only a matter of time before it has to come to England - such are the limited numbers of alternatives. imo.

This can only be good for the City and Football Club, although I wish Newcastle would get their fingers out of their arses and say something about the Football World Cup bid, I mean it's virtually ours if we say dibs.

If we stay in the Premiership, I really hope they try to increase the stadium to 60,000, like they said so a couple of years ago, I mean imagine if we got a place to host games in both the Football and Rugby World Cups?, plus the fact that our stadium could then look to host a Champions League or Europa League final, we could even do what Arsenal do, host neutral international games.