Top 50 Newcastle United players

Christmas Tree

Times online article for anyone wanting a quick read. 11 pages long!

Having sifted through his memories, books and old football albums, and called on the recollections of older friends and families, our man in the North East has compiled his list of the best players ever to have worn the famous stripes

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle6146564.ece

Before I even read it Pedro should be top of the list.

*Edit*

Can understand why Milburn was top, but I would have Beardsley top for the ones I've seen in my time, and yes that includes Shearer as I'm sure most would agree.

You'll be disappointed, but he does clearly state that it's his opinion and he expects to shot down.

George Caulkin has wrote some very good stuff about us this year I think.

Beardsley remains one of my favourite players I've had the pleasure in watching.

The thing with Pedro is he wasn't just a genius, but players who usually have that sort of ability simply don't have the work ethic to match that. Pedro did however.

I guess there needs to be two categories:

"Best" in terms of pure ability and "best" in terms of contribution to the club although clearly a few players score highly in both categories while some only in one.

Gazza for instance.

Guest alex
Tevez reminds me of Pedro fwiw

Aye, poor man's version though for me. What would Pedro be worth in today's money?

Tevez reminds me of Pedro fwiw

Aye, poor man's version though for me. What would Pedro be worth in today's money?

Shearer and Beardsley front line in their prime :o

You'll be disappointed, but he does clearly state that it's his opinion and he expects to shot down.

Actually no.

Caulkin you're talking shite man! No Laurent Robert?!

:o

Actually no.

Caulkin you're talking shite man! No Laurent Robert?!

:o

Just read the first two and then stopped, Ginola in at 50 fair enough la la la reading on.....number 49....XISCO! Christ on an stick. I don't give a fuck about the pretencious point the guy was trying to make there, if you're going to write what is a fairly extensive and detailed list you don't put in a novelty player at 49 ahead of Ginola and god knows who else who didn't make the list.

He really fucked up there, I can imagine many people going to read that piece out of genuine interest only to stop on the first page, close the tab and go to toontastic to have a moan!

Edited by TicTacWoe

way to many that should be in that list that aren't keepers for one, and no Nico, no Robert, or Asprilla :o

Havn't read though, are you saying that Given isn't in there? If so that's ridiculous tbh. Have to disagree with Asprilla though, really shouldn't be in it, i think his goal scoring record was something like 1 every 6 for us.

way to many that should be in that list that aren't keepers for one, and no Nico, no Robert, or Asprilla :o

Given is there, as is Nobby.

Certain numbers have a selection of players mentioned.

Still no Robert though :D

Does Robert really warrent inclusion though? I've only been supporting Newcastle since 92 and I'd be surprised if Robert made my top 25 from that era alone, so considering all that has gone before 1992 I'm not surprised he isn't there, top 100 maybe.

Nobby is in there

Havn't read though, are you saying that Given isn't in there?

don't think there was any keepers in there at all.

Try again.