Shola Ameobi

Jusoda Kid

The difference is we have guys putting in crosses again at long last

But Ameobi isn't any better

51460[/snapback]

That is impossible because Souness doesn't believe in wingers.

Honestly when I think back to the furore over that comment, it's exactly the sort of reason that I won't go on Newcastle-Online anymore. :lol:

51465[/snapback]

That comment was flogged to death a bit on there like. ;)

51460[/snapback]

Honestly when I think back to the furore over that comment, it's exactly the sort of reason that I won't go on Newcastle-Online anymore. :lol:

51465[/snapback]

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/...pic,8407.0.html

;)

51460[/snapback]

51465[/snapback]

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/...pic,8407.0.html

;)

51468[/snapback]

Jesus wept for less tbh.

Given the fact that we haven't got an alterantive for Shola (as back-up to Shearer) then i think he should be used a little differently. It's not a question of playing to his strengths but rather playing him in a way that doesn't so obviously expose his weakness. I think the answer, if you have to play him and Shearer can't be expected to play every game, is to get him to drop deep to get the ball, he's shite receiving the ball with his back to goal and a defender up his jacksy but he's a little better if he has a bit of space to turn with the ball and run. I would then want him to pass it to someone, i.e. Owen, Zoggy, Solano, Dyer or whoever is making a run. I would discourage him from trying to score but rather set up other people. I think he might be a bit more effective this way.

Given the fact that we haven't got an alterantive for Shola (as back-up to Shearer) then i think he should be used a little differently. It's not a question of playing to his strengths but rather playing him in a way that doesn't so obviously expose his weakness. I think the answer, if you have to play him and Shearer can't be expected to play every game, is to get him to drop deep to get the ball, he's shite receiving the ball with his back to goal and a defender up his jacksy but he's a little better if he has a bit of space to turn with the ball and run. I would then want him to pass it to someone, i.e. Owen, Zoggy, Solano, Dyer or whoever is making a run. I would discourage him from trying to score but rather set up other people. I think he might be a bit more effective this way.

51492[/snapback]

Some good points, it might be a more effective ploy.

I actually thought we played quite well in the first half especially towards the end.

They never threatened us at all and Parker dominated the centre of the park. Shola was probably the better of out forwards at that point as Owen had a stinking first half (which of course makes no difference when he scores two in the second half).

Souness still isn't the top class manager we need but when we have a full compliment of players we have a good squad that play some football so he becomes less of a worry. Unless of course your totally fixated with him and can't think of anything else!

51492[/snapback]

Doesn't look to me like he needs too much discouragement from trying to score tbh. ;)

I would give him another couple of starts at least to see what he can do. It's important he gets the opportunity to show what he can (or can't) do this season with a view to next season. If he doesn't take his chance alongside Owen then fine. It's worth remembering though that partnerships take time and you cannot judge them on the basis of a game or two. I don't really think Shola will do the business but he hasn't started many games for Newcastle with a pacy striker alongside him. He deserves a chance because Shearer is not going to be around much longer.

I would give him another couple of starts at least to see what he can do. It's important he gets the opportunity to show what he can (or can't) do this season with a view to next season. If he doesn't take his chance alongside Owen then fine. It's worth remembering though that partnerships take time and you cannot judge them on the basis of a game or two. I don't really think Shola will do the business but he hasn't started many games for Newcastle with a pacy striker alongside him. He deserves a chance because Shearer is not going to be around much longer.

51516[/snapback]

Luque is though ;)

51516[/snapback]

Luque is though :lol:

51517[/snapback]

Is he a striker though?

;)

51516[/snapback]

51517[/snapback]

Is he a striker though?

;)

51518[/snapback]

Well Souness once mentioned that he was left footed, so I guess not.

51516[/snapback]

51517[/snapback]

Is he a striker though?

;)

51518[/snapback]

Is he? Let's see if we can find out!

*scarpers*

We were all shite in the first half.  Give the player ratings at half time and he'd be about average with the rest.

51318[/snapback]

Keeper and defence had barely allowed them a shot on target in 45 mins, none of them were even close to shite in the first half.

Nobby and Emre had shown some nice touches without great penetration but a couple of chances were created, again neither close to being shite and the same applies to Parker and Zog.

51319[/snapback]

Owen was just as woeful though. (in 1st half)

51321[/snapback]

I think he said as much in his interview after the match!

The great thing with Owen is he could be shite for 90 mins (but rarely ever will be) and you'd still back him to score a goal or 2 if the chances are created.

51322[/snapback]

Good point, but im just interested to see how Shola did over the whole 90 after we started playing well. Hard to judge him after 45 when the majority of the team were playing well below their standard.

51324[/snapback]

How mamy games/minutes do you need to see this donkey play before you realise he is shite?

Shola had loads of opportunities to demonstrate his (nonexistent) ability. According to the stats on .com he has started over 60 games in the last 5 years. To say he needs more chances is just ridiculous. If only someone like Chopra had been given the same chances as Shola ... and I don't want to say that Chopra has the ability to make it in the Premiership either...

The trouble is, Shola never looks like he's capable of playing 90 minutes. He always seems to fade in the 2nd half.

51737[/snapback]

Christ! Fade from what exactly? Equivalent of a 10 watt bulb to bust?

51823[/snapback]

He's not a forward tbh.

Shola had loads of opportunities to demonstrate his (nonexistent) ability. According to the stats on .com he has started over 60 games in the last 5 years. To say he needs more chances is just ridiculous. If only someone like Chopra had been given the same chances as Shola ... and I don't want to say that Chopra has the ability to make it in the Premiership either...

51759[/snapback]

Absolutely correct Isegrim