Scum

Snake

Pair guilty of Sol Campbell abuse

_45076190_campbell226x170getty.jpg The man and boy had denied shouting offensive chants A man and a boy have been banned from attending football matches for three years for shouting homophobic chants at Portsmouth footballer Sol Campbell.

Danny B, 42, of Deanshanger, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, and the boy, 14, denied indecent chanting but were convicted by Portsmouth magistrates.

The charges related to abuse aimed at Mr Campbell during a match against his ex-club Tottenham Hotspur last year.

In a statement, Mr Campbell said he felt "totally victimised and helpless".

'Bad taste'

The court statement from the 34-year-old former England defender also said: "I felt absolutely disgusted at this and I didn't react because of my profile and I feared I might make the situation worse and cause problems.

"I felt totally victimised and helpless by the abuse I received on this day.

"It has had an effect on me personally and I do not want it to continue. I support the police in their action."

After a three-hour trial, Georgette Holbrook, chairwoman of the panel, ruled the two defendants had chanted homophobic abuse during the game at Fratton Park on 28 September.

_45395663_solbetter.jpg Four men pleaded guilty at a previous hearing She said: "We find that the words used were in extremely bad taste; they were inappropriate, shocking and disgusting, and as such they were indecent."

The magistrates were shown a DVD of footage recorded by police showing Tottenham fans at the match.

Mr Campbell was club captain at Tottenham before leaving to join rivals Arsenal in 2001.

Angie Cunningham, defending, said the video footage was examined by a professional lip reader who said the youth, who was 13 at the time, could be seen pointing and shouting homophobic abuse.

She added that Trow could only be seen mouthing some of the words, but Portsmouth magistrates ruled he had said the same words as the boy.

Miss Cunningham added: "They passionately and whole-heartedly believed their behaviour and language didn't overstep the mark of what is acceptable behaviour and language at a football match."

Trow was also fined £500 and ordered to pay £400 costs and £15 to a victim surcharge fund.

The 14-year-old was given a conditional discharge for 12 months and ordered to pay £400 costs.

Miss Cunningham said both defendants intended to appeal against the conviction.

Following the match, Hampshire Police released images of 16 people wanted in connection with the chants.

A total of 11 were arrested and four men pleaded guilty to the offence in January and were sentenced to a three-year football banning order and a fine.

Legal first

Three men have been given police cautions while two 15-year-old boys were given final warnings, according to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).

While cases of racist chanting have been prosecuted before, this was the first case of indecent chanting to be brought to the courts, the CPS said.

Nick Hawkins, Hampshire Chief Crown Prosecutor and CPS national lead on football issues, said: "I am pleased we have secured convictions and admissions of guilt from all 11 people we charged in connection with this unsavoury incident.

"The magistrates' decision show ordinary people applying common sense are disgusted with the kind of things that went on at Fratton Park last September and reflect the views of ordinary football fans across England and Wales."

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A total of 11 were arrested and four men pleaded guilty to the offence in January and were sentenced to a three-year football banning order and a fine.

Regardless of your views, is it really worth it? :razz:

I guess we have to decide as a society what's acceptable and what's not.

No doubt there are a hardcore of matchgoers who genuinely believe it's their right to go and let off steam on a saturday afternoon and that any restriction on their language effectively wrecks that enjoyment.

Others will feel that racist, religious and homophobic abuse along with wishes of serious ill health detract from their enjoyment.

It's often a fine line and sometimes if something is genuinely funny or clever while being very offensive, it can blur the line even further.

I guess we have to decide as a society what's acceptable and what's not.

No doubt there are a hardcore of matchgoers who genuinely believe it's their right to go and let off steam on a saturday afternoon and that any restriction on their language effectively wrecks that enjoyment.

Others will feel that racist, religious and homophobic abuse along with wishes of serious ill health detract from their enjoyment.

It's often a fine line and sometimes if something is genuinely funny or clever while being very offensive, it can blur the line even further.

We already have, hence this result.

Great, so it'll never ever happen again. :razz:

I wasn't being funny, my point is that the legal framework is already there and it's the courts jobs to decide on the severity of this type of thing.

Do we know what they were chanting? Was it racist?

bit of racist bit of homophobic stuff, there were 11 charged but most were decent/worried enough to hold their hands up and plead guilty, while one or two fo the fuckwits obviously thought the things they'd said was acceptable and decided to keep the case running and try to get off with it and they have now been deservedly fucked by the system

Load of fucking bollox.

Makes me laugh, peope on here say they will fight tooth and nail for freedom of speech, then back this rubbish.

Its OK for fans from around the country to hiss at us, sing racist chants and abuse us....thats ok because we call ourselves yids.

Sol Campbell knew what he was doing when he sold his soul for 90K a week.

It wasn't racist.

Edited by Danny B

Tottenham have rendered Yids a pejorative so there is no use complaining about it now - that was your own doing.

Racially abusing a black player and commenting on his sexuality is a completely different kettle of fish and you fucking know it.

Stop defending them and release they are in the wrong for fucks sake.

You can't polish a turd.

Tottenham have rendered Yids a pejorative so there is no use complaining about it now - that was your own doing.

Racially abusing a black player and commenting on his sexuality is a completely different kettle of fish and you fucking know it.

Stop defending them and release they are in the wrong for fucks sake.

You can't polish a turd.

Hissing is OK? I would rather be a paki than a jew? Is that OK? Songs about Auschwitz? OK?

Tell me what about the song is racist?

fuck off danny you cunt

you honestly think this sort of shit is acceptable banter for a football match?

This song has been going on for years without a peep. Sols mind has finally caved in and hes gone running to the old Bill. Prick.

This has ramifications for us all. The Mido song anybody?

I'm not saying any of it is ok.

Just because somebody is racist to Tottenham it doesn't make it ok to have a bit of a racist sing song at Old Sol.

You know it's racist, I know it's racist, we have been through this before.

Sol Sol wherever you may be,

Not long now until lunacy,

And we wont give a fuck when you're hanging in a tree

You judas fuck with HIV.

Tasteless? Yes.

Funny? Yes.

Racist? No.

You judas fuck with HIV.

Tasteless? Yes.

Funny? Yes.

Racist? No.

you utterly ridiculous wanker

you really don't get it do you?

You judas fuck with HIV.

Tasteless? Yes.

Funny? Yes.

Racist? No.

Every football fan who have heard it for the first time has laughed when Ive recited it to them.

funny but I'm seeing "homophobic" there in the article and danny is complaining about them being done for racism

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...st&p=620636

I was responding to your post Andrew.

your argument being that because that one (disgusting) song isn't racist, none of them were yes?

You judas fuck with HIV.

Tasteless? Yes.

Funny? Yes.

Racist? No.

Every football fan who have heard it for the first time has laughed when Ive recited it to them.

yeh that makes it alright, I'll take my social morals from people who will stand and listan to you long enough for you to finish that song

funny but I'm seeing "homophobic" there in the article and danny is complaining about them being done for racism

your argument being that because that one (disgusting) song isn't racist, none of them were yes?

I have never heard a racist chant at the lane.

Unless you consider "hes big hes black, he takes it up the crack, Sol Campbell, Soll Campbell" racist?

I have never heard a racist chant at the lane.

Unless you consider "hes big hes black, he takes it up the crack, Sol Campbell, Soll Campbell" racist?

well it is in a very strict sense though thats not why that song has no place anywhere now is it?

I'd wiki racism and homophobia just to brush up on the exact facts surrounding what constitutes what but my whole faith in the wiki system has been shaken lately

not responding anymore anyway danny you've just been after a bite anyway and theres no decent person on earth who would agree that this stuff has any place in football or anywhere for that matter

Load of fucking bollox.

Makes me laugh, peope on here say they will fight tooth and nail for freedom of speech, then back this rubbish.

Its OK for fans from around the country to hiss at us, sing racist chants and abuse us....thats ok because we call ourselves yids.

It wasn't racist.

So what, just because other people are racist, means that you can be racist too?

Another prick who is after sanitising football.

Better lock up all the Toon fans calling mido a shoe bomber too, fuck it all those songs Man utd fans sing about Park are a bit edgy, better stop that too.

In fact, those refs get a bit of abuse.....better ban that.

In fact swearing full stop, standings a risk.

Better weed out the drinking too.

Too many people having fun....better get rid of that.

Edited by Danny B

I'd wiki racism and homophobia just to brush up on the exact facts surrounding what constitutes what but my whole faith in the wiki system has been shaken lately

:razz:

10 Toontastic points to andrew, Top class :P

Load of fucking bollox.

It wasn't racist.

So what, just because other people are racist, means that you can be racist too?

It wasnt racist.