Hiding IP address

Jimbo

Depends who you're wanting to hide it from, if it's individuals then it can be done of sorts (i.e. it can be made to look something different). A bit of digging around by who was looking for you would find you out but then most people would believe the IP return so would not look any further into it...

If it's the authorities, forget it - if they want to know who and where you are, they already know before you even think about covering it up!

Depends who you're wanting to hide it from, if it's individuals then it can be done of sorts (i.e. it can be made to look something different). A bit of digging around by who was looking for you would find you out but then most people would believe the IP return so would not look any further into it...

If it's the authorities, forget it - if they want to know who and where you are, they already know before you even think about covering it up!

51354[/snapback]

That's not true, it's definitely worth hiding it for bit torrent and the like. Although I've been too lazy to do anything about mine.

If you're involved in anything more illegal than that, Jimbo, you're most likely fucked.

51354[/snapback]

if they can be bothered TBH

I want to cover my tracks for using bit-torrent and limewire.

51665[/snapback]

Bit Torrent software that I use, Azureus, has a plugin called SafePeer that will keep your bit torrent anonymous.

For the limewire your going to need an anonymous proxy provider that allows the right ports/protocols. I've never used one but I think you'll need to pay someone like anonymizer.com for that. I'd definitely do research on what firms are least likely to give your info to Us government officials (Canadian companies for example). Alternatively you could just move to Canada or Switzerland where it's currently legal to download what you like!

It's something I've been meaning to check in to properly for a while so I might take a look tomorrow.

I want to cover my tracks for using bit-torrent and limewire.

51665[/snapback]

Bit Torrent software that I use, Azureus, has a plugin called SafePeer that will keep your bit torrent anonymous.

For the limewire your going to need an anonymous proxy provider that allows the right ports/protocols. I've never used one but I think you'll need to pay someone like anonymizer.com for that. I'd definitely do research on what firms are least likely to give your info to Us government officials (Canadian companies for example). Alternatively you could just move to Canada or Switzerland where it's currently legal to download what you like!

It's something I've been meaning to check in to properly for a while so I might take a look tomorrow.

51676[/snapback]

Anything from a US, British, Australian or Russian company will almost certainly have a "back door" for the NSA/SVR/GCHQ

Anything from a US, British, Australian or Russian company will almost certainly have a "back door" for the NSA/SVR/GCHQ

52788[/snapback]

I agree, to an extent.

52788[/snapback]

I agree, to an extent.

52800[/snapback]

well its there but have they the time to use it I guess.........................

Jimbo, I've done a bit of reading up on this but haven't decided anything yet. It's highly possible I'll forget about it for 6 months so I'll tell you what I've found out.

First of all think very carefully, because if you use something that doesn't do the job all you're likely to do is put yourself on the wrong people's radars.

Tor - This will do the job for you but you'll basically fuck up the network for other people and won't work great for you as it's not designed for downloads. I wouldn't use it but that's a personal choice.

Entropy - Secured private network. This is the one I would use. I haven't checked the performance. http://entropy.stop1984.com

Don't bother with IP blockers like protowall/peer guardian/safe peer, they'll give you peace of mind but won't really protect you if they really want to find you.

There's a few other options that sound like they do the job but I haven't really investigated (i2p,ants,mute), if any of these companies are Swiss or Canadian that would leave them in a really good position for security considering their governments' current stances on downloading.

If you find out anything interesting on this please let me know.

"First of all think very carefully, because if you use something that doesn't do the job all you're likely to do is put yourself on the wrong people's radars."

Very very wise advice

If you have a secret yoou don't go around the neighberhood with a great sticking palster over your mouth - it only attracts unwanted attention

For the same reason hiding your ISP or encrypting message only draws attention to yourself

If it's too dodgy to do at work or at home go to your nearest Internet cafe or get a seperate machine

I've always thought that Osama & Co probably communicate through normal bulletin boards - there is so much crap flying to and fro that the Security guys never have a chance to check it , never mind find out what it all means - might explain some of AF's posts anyway

Edited by Rob W

• 3 months later...