A Tribute To Kevin

Tooj

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the one thing that bothered me last season.

I think we've scored more than three in TWO games under Pardew. And one of them was the 4-4 Arsenal draw.

Last season we were perfectly capable of winning some of those matches by 4 goals or 5 goals. Not killing games off cost us a few points last season, no doubt about it. We had the initiative to do so. We had the confidence to do it. We had the personnel to do so. Results are great and all but there is little more satisfying in football than your team thrashing another. Every one of us remembers the big wins.

This season it's gotten even worse. How many games have we lost now from winning positions? Off the top of my head, there's been at least four (Everton, Man Utd, Stoke, yesterday). Now I'm not saying we would have definitely gone on to claim max points from that lot if Pardew was less negative, but we'd surely have at least 6 points from that lot. Putting us in a far better position. Getting 12 points from them would have us in the top half I imagine.

I can appreciate that we've a weak squad and that sometimes it is indeed better to shut up shop. But Pardew seems to get far too nervous about it, and we shut up shop and go defensive far too early. Sometimes, as soon as we score a goal to put us ahead. Fair enough attitude if we're playing Real Madrid, but not Reading.

And on the other hand, if we go behind in a game, we never manage to swing it around to win (Reading have now managed that twice in the space of a week). How long has it been since we last won a game after being behind? West Ham two seasons ago?

Edited by Monroe Transfer

• 4 months later...

I was embarrassed for KK when he returned with either Man City or Fulham and during a heavy defeat,morons were singing `Keegan Keegan whats the score .......' .I sat and cringed and cringed some more. I remember when he bollocked some players for sneaking out the back door after training at Durham instead of going out the front to sign autographs.I used to watch us train regularly at Durham and not only would he sign every autograph hunters book,he had a little chat with them all The man was a total gentleman when he played and later managed us.I wish him and his family the best of luck for the future.He's welcome at my house for a drink anytime.

What's the solution? Walk away from it. You'll be the happier for it.

I wish it was as easy as this, I've felt this for years but you can't take the love of the club away. (even if it was for what it was, rather than is)

As NHL isnt that popular over here, there's a recent event that's worth noting that *might* happen in football.

NHL players get silly wages, for years it became like the premiership is now - a few elite clubs , playing players with no affilitation or loyalty to the area and club - winning every year.

Canadian players got annoyed (even though they did it themselves) that US teams were winning the Stanley Cup with more Canadian players than the canadian teams (due to big money deals).

This does end soon :) People also got annoyed that the money from the game was going to TV and individual clubs, nothing to the association, nothing to develop grass roots hockey for everyone and nothing for actual performance.

So , they all got together in the equivalent of the PFA and demanded a wage cap, also Playoff performance related bonuses and a sizable "tax" on clubs to invest in developing the game elsewhere.

The players associated won and the cap has even been decreased again last year. They still would now, if they really cared for the game rather than the wallets - a player strike kills everyone involved and demands action.

I'd love to see this happen in football - the Fifa finance rules are just a crappy token gesture. Collective bargaining is easy and simple for them to put in, but of course they wont - because they are creaming off the money as much as everyone else.

This is probably at least 60% factually correct :D

• 2 months later...

What happened to 'our' Kevin?

He grew up a bit and lost his virginity. He started blobbing half shifts at Mcdonalds to pay for an engagement ring and to hopefully get the assistant manager job.

• 5 months later...

I think it was when he returned as Man City manager when knobs,and i mean a canny few knobs,starting chanting `Keegan Keegan what's the score......' when we were a couple/few goals up.

Knobs of the highest order they were and still are. Winning the Fairs Cup and the Keegan era are the best times i've ever had supporting NUFC .

• 2 months later...

Keith Gillespie has revealed how Sir Alex Ferguson tricked Kevin Keegan when selling him to Newcastle.

The former Northern Ireland winger joined the Magpies in 1995 as part of the £7m deal which saw Andy Cole move the other way.

But not before Ferguson had intervened a little to ensure his man earned himself a bumper pay day.

"After an FA Cup game, we thrashed out terms at midnight in a hotel in Sheffield. Back then I was a £250-a-week player," he told the Sunday Telegraph.

"I remember Alex sitting there with a pen and paper, adding up figures and scribbling away. He told a bit of a white lie to Kevin Keegan: 'Keith’s on £600 a week at the moment so he’ll be looking for an increase on that.'

"He didn’t tell me this would happen so I sat there with a poker face, giving nothing away. Newcastle were happy to double my wage and an hour later I shook hands on a deal worth £1,200 a week."