A Tribute To Kevin

Tooj

I've just posted this over on Newcastle-Online so I thought I may as well do a good old copy and paste job.

Everyone knows my affection for Kevin Keegan, and yes of course I am biased towards Keegan. Especially when it comes to people like Mike Ashley, everyone Keegan has done for us in the past is why I believe he went for the right reasons. When it comes down to it, I would always choose Kevin Keegan over Mike Ashley, without a shadow of a doubt. Obviously some people disagree with me but that's life.

The day Mike Ashley chose his structure or more so his personnel over Keegan for me was the day he burnt his bridges with the club for me. It's true I will never forgive Ashley for allowing things to happen, that's right Mike Ashley. At the end of the day the buck stops with him, he is the man who has been naive and appointed all of the wrong people. Some may say Keegan too, I will agree with that to an extent. And that is simply due to the way his role was defined. Yet if he was given free reign things could have been so different for us.

I am fully aware of the fact we would not have been challenging for the big prize with Keegan in charge again, I never once believe we could do such a thing. Although the propaganda from the hierarchy at the time did make me think anything was possible.

Before Keegan was re-appointed I was not for it at all nor did I believe such could happen. Although I should have known better knowing what this club was like. I was of the belief that Kevin's time in football was over and he was destined to be a memory of everything that this club could potentially be. However, upon hearing that he had been re-appointed I can't describe the emotion I felt. Part of me told myself to think with my head, he had been out of the game for a few seasons, appeared to have fallen out of love with all things football, but then my heart told me this is Kevin Keegan, this is the man who not once, but twice made not just a football club, but a whole city be proud of who they are, who reinvigorated a people, who understood what this football club and city is all about. Once again I was enjoying going to the matches, I felt no matter where we finished under Keegan we would give it our best shot, and play football the way he and us believe it should be played. I honestly felt like I was 10 again, the aura of the man made me realise why I hold him in such high regards. As he said before the Old Trafford game when I felt it was simply a case of damaged limitation "I've told the players, the headlines aren't written, we write these headlines." It's that optimism, that enthusiasm that gave me that feeling of being a child again.

Then the day Keegan walked that was all gone, simply I don't blame him for going if the circumstances are true, I blame those above him for that, I blame those above him for ruining not just my dreams but the dreams of a people. The dreams of a man who had unfinished business. Events since have proven to me who was to blame, simply due to the sheer incompetency of those running the club. People may now hold the main in disdain, but for me he will always be the man who taught us that impossible was nothing, who showed us what it was like to be where we belong, a man who understood what you were feeling.

Thanks for everything Kevin.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's done more for our club, our city, than anyone else in my (or any of our?) lifetime.

Agree totally. I can't believe any of the fans who were around for his fist time as manager (And definitely those who suffered all the shite before him) can think he's anything other than a legend here. No one man has ever made the fans of this city so happy and proud of their club as he did, giving us so much enjoyment, belief and hope along the way and lets not forget saving us from falling into division 3 and possibly going out of existence. And that's not even thinking about his time here as a player!

He's done more for our club, our city, than anyone else in my (or any of our?) lifetime.

Agree totally. I can't believe any of the fans who were around for his fist time as manager (And definitely those who suffered all the shite before him) can think he's anything other than a legend here. No one man has ever made the fans of this city so happy and proud of their club as he did, giving us so much enjoyment, belief and hope along the way and lets not forget saving us from falling into division 3 and possibly going out of existence. And that's not even thinking about his time here as a player!

Is exactly how I feel. That Viva La Keegan video 2J did always brings a lump to my throat, I'e never felt so excited or entusiastic about football as I did when Kevin Keegan stepped through our doors - anyone who says differently just isn't a true fan of Newcastle United if they say otherwise.

This season could have been the best one in years. Keegan at the helm, an owner with the financial clout to take us the next step, a strong forward line, new defence to add steel at the back...

<_<

For the most part, those that side with Ashley over Keegan are those that were too young to appreciate what Keegan did for the club in his spell here as manager. They've read the newspaper version of Keegan the emotionally fragile, Keegan the man who lost it on national TV, Keegan the broken man slumped in his seat at Anfield, Keegan the bottler who never finishes anything he starts. They read all this shit and feel that failure was inevitable because the papers has told them that first time around was ultimately a failure. What a load of bollocks.

For the most part, those that side with Ashley over Keegan are those that were too young to appreciate what Keegan did for the club in his spell here as manager. They've read the newspaper version of Keegan the emotionally fragile, Keegan the man who lost it on national TV, Keegan the broken man slumped in his seat at Anfield, Keegan the bottler who never finishes anything he starts. They read all this shit and feel that failure was inevitable because the papers has told them that first time around was ultimately a failure. What a load of bollocks.

Some of them are fucking clueless looking to blame anyone but Ashley...

Its even our fault you know, aye us 50,000 that still turn up week in, week out even though we are fucking shit. <_<

this season should have been so different <_<

i truly hope Ashley and his cohorts lose fucking everything, good health, finances etcetc

there arrogance, stubbornness and cocky bastard nature have totally fucked us over.

Always backed Keegan leaving under those circumstances, I wouldn't put up with it in my job no reason he should in his which comes with a lot more pressure.

Once again I was enjoying going to the matches, I felt no matter where we finished under Keegan we would give it our best shot, and play football the way he and us believe it should be played. I honestly felt like I was 10 again, the aura of the man made me realise why I hold him in such high regards. As he said before the Old Trafford game when I felt it was simply a case of damaged limitation "I've told the players, the headlines aren't written, we write these headlines." It's that optimism, that enthusiasm that gave me that feeling of being a child again.

That's it exactly, when he came back it didn't matter who we were playing i was looking forward to seeing it, when he wasn't here it was a case of seeing the likes of Liverpool coming and thinking "wonder just how fucked we are this weekend"

It could and should have been.

What I think is worse is a genuine concern is what happens next, they way this club as been systematically destroyed, there's nothing Ashley isn't capable of doing to the club, directly (in the championship with Kinnear £0 and 13 players) or indirectly (selling us to someone or group with no real capital just to get rid of the club).

Keegan helped build a dream, but this last season or so has been a nightmare, unfortunately it might well just be beginning.

The sad thing for me is, it's the people who should know better who feel that way.

Is exactly how I feel. That Viva La Keegan video 2J did always brings a lump to my throat, I'e never felt so excited or entusiastic about football as I did when Kevin Keegan stepped through our doors - anyone who says differently just isn't a true fan of Newcastle United if they say otherwise.

Bollocks. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to suggest you are not a fan of the club if you don't hero-worship Keegan is bullshit imo. For the record I had grave doubts about Keegan's return and his motives, doubts that still remain despite Ashley clearly being a prick. Your suggestion that that somehow makes me less entitled to support our club than yourself is pretty obnoxious tbh.

...and it's worse than that, a lot of them are just ungrateful, thick - donkeys. <_<

Some of the patter on NO is astounding. Claiming we are on the verge of significant ling term improvement under Ashley, and that the fans have to share equally in the blame for where we find ourselves today. I don't know how your brain would need to be wired, and what version of reality you need to have been exposed to in order to arrive at these conclusions.

The sad thing for me is, it's the people who should know better who feel that way.

Please elaborate on that 2J.

I was a massive fan of Keegan during his stint here as a player and as a manager (1st time), I've met the bloke and was overwhelmed by his enthusiam (this was in in 95 iirc). But the simple fact is for me his passion had been well and truly extinguished when he became a manager for the second time. Blame Ashley all you want but it simply was never going to have a happy ending the second time round imo.

It's odd that such sentiments are now deemed as apocryphal on this board.

Some of the patter on NO is astounding. Claiming we are on the verge of significant ling term improvement under Ashley, and that the fans have to share equally in the blame for where we find ourselves today. I don't know how your brain would need to be wired, and what version of reality you need to have been exposed to in order to arrive at these conclusions.

Luca reckons he was on the wind up. <_< LLO is another culprit, but the chain gang upped sticks and left when we slid down the table. The Ashley core are in hiding.

I was a massive fan of Keegan during his stint here as a player and as a manager (1st time), I've met the bloke and was overwhelmed by his enthusiam (this was in in 95 iirc). But the simple fact is for me his passion had been well and truly extinguished when he became a manager for the second time. Blame Ashley all you want but it simply was never going to have a happy ending the second time round imo.

He looked pretty chirpy to me after the Man U game.

He looked pretty chirpy to me after the Man U game.

Aye his passion and enthusiasm in his interview before that game still showed he had it. I think quite a few on here said that after listening both the fans and players could not help going in to that game at Old Trafford believing we would get something from that match and when was the last time we could say we thought that when we were going to Old Trafford?