A Tribute To Kevin

Tooj

Just to clarify my thoughts on Keegan....

Like most Newcastle fans, I have NEVER felt as excited about football as I have done with him as our manager...and I include this most recent time in that. The best times have all been under him as far as I'm concerned although Sir Berb was a very close second. I would STILL welcome him back and under a proper chairman I have NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER he would turn us into a very, very good side.

Shearer will do things differently though and it will be more professional...he may even win something...but I don't think for a second that it will be as exciting. :)<_<:icon_lol:

And in a nutshell, this is our problem. For those of us who feel like you / me, it will never be as good again. It will take a new generation to get over keegan and until then his shadow will dwell, even over shearer.

Perhaps.... :(

Keegan had that effect on pretty much the whole country though. As much as Arsenal have played some beautiful football in the past 15 years or so, they never became the country's "second team" in the same way that Newcastle under Keegan did. The fans of other clubs can take the piss all they like, but for a while, we were like Brazil...ie it was perfectly acceptable and understandable to have a huge affection for the way we played and again, that has to be because of Keegan's infectious and at times flawed enthusiasm.

It was like watching a mixture of Princess Di, Jordan and Kelly Brook. Utterly beautiful, completely batshit crazy but completely mesmerizing. :(

I think the hurt comes from having another taste of that reality for such a brief but heartbreaking moment.

Shearer is obviously the way forward for us. He's Newcastle through and through, almost universally respected in the game, young and strong enough to deal with the pressure. I'm delighted he's there and hope to goodness we don't fuck this up although I'm not holding my breath.

Marilyn Monroe tbh.

Yep. Much better. :blush:

I know :icon_lol:

Que?

A3E5AA41-B422-8360-6F7DB6B16B2876AB.jpg

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's backed, Shearer's the right appointment. There's a lot to be said for giving it to a young manager in our situation and he stands out as worth taking a chance on.

But it remains a gamble. No-one, including him, knows if he's going to be any good at it or not. He's not bought or sold a footballer yet. Will he buy the right players? Can he send teams out to win games regularly? I fucking hope so or we're in even more trouble. They'll have to give him two seasons minimum (barring complete catastrophe). If he's no good at it top division football might be becoming a distant memory by then.

Edit: I put this in the wrong thread <_<

Edited by Big Onion

Fucking hell lads as if the spectre of relegation is not hellish enough you lot are indulging painful nostalgia.

I know what you're all saying and don't disagree fwiw. But fucking hell yers have got us on the sauce already.

Ever imagine how things would have gone IF we'd won the League? It all could have been so different.....

It's sad to see how far we've fallen. Make no mistake about it...relegation will a disaster. There is no silver lining.

We need a miracle.... its time to start praying.