A Tribute To Kevin

Tooj

I was happy with the Keegan we got last year - I thought he was older, wiser and more realistic but the passion still burned. I think just 3 years with Shearer coming on board later with a view to replacement would have worked.

I caught some eps of ST Voyager (Soz) yesterday which were all time travel based - they all involved setting the timeline back to an improved version - I'm not sure they got all the paradoexes right but I'd love to wake up next Monday with KK still here and looking at Europe next year rather than fucking Barnsley.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was happy with the Keegan we got last year - I thought he was older, wiser and more realistic but the passion still burned. I think just 3 years with Shearer coming on board later with a view to replacement would have worked.

I caught some eps of ST Voyager (Soz) yesterday which were all time travel based - they all involved setting the timeline back to an improved version - I'm not sure they got all the paradoexes right but I'd love to wake up next Monday with KK still here and looking at Europe next year rather than fucking Barnsley.

In all honesty the Keegan of the early 90's might well have been gone by the Chelsea game (never mind that a lot of other mangers probably would have in the same circumstances too), I think he was potentially the better manager in many ways now. (<_<:()

Guest alex
if Ashley has backed him as much as he backed Kinnear and especially Shearer

He backed Kinnear and Shearer more than Keegan?

Shearer certainly (Wise was sent packing), but yes I think on balance he gave Kinnear more authority (or allowed Kinnear to take more authority) than Keegan.

By all accounts Wise was going anyway, Shearer only got them to announce it earlier.

I think Kinnear spouted a load of bollocks, got fuck all to spend and had 2 of his best players sold from under him.

Well if you're right (Given and Zog? You think they didn't want to go?) the we are going to have a torrid time in the Championship, if Ashley hasn't learnt his lessons, and won't/can't employ a quality manager and then back him.

They wanted to go. But Kinnear said repeatedly he didn't want them to. Once they did, they should have been replaced.

Yeah but that's been the story of this season, would they have wanted to go under a genuine Keegan regime in the first place? And if they did who would have made the better choices for replacements out of Keegan, Kinnear, Wise, Lambrusco(?!?), Ashley's daughter and even Shearer?

I'm not sure I get your point? How does that point support the argument that Ashley learned a lesson and supported later managers more than Keegan? It's the story of our season....and the only constant through it all has been Ashley/Llambias.

That he's backed later managers more, not that necessarily the right choices have been made, or the best things done, or even that all lessons have been learnt.

Although now it must only really be Llambias that Shearer would have to butt heads with, as Ashley probably isn't particularly involved (which is part of the problem).

I don't see how your previous post relates to that bold bit.

Llambias has been the most public front man for a host of Ashley appointments behind the scenes. David Williamson, Steve Hayward, Jeff Vetere and John Irving are all his cronies too. I don't see why they'd be any more supportive of Shearer than they were of Keegan.

Undermined managers less? Would that do it for you? <_<

The only real test of that that can be judged tangibly, imo, is in transfer windows. Was there any more backing for the manager in January than there was in the summer / previous windows? I don't think so. Not sure that proves anything conclusively either way mind. You could point to him getting rid of Wise but it's difficult to know how much that was backing the manager / how short-term a move it was etc. Wouldn't surprise me if it was just a case of Wise's departure being brought forward. Basically, in conclusion, there's no real evidence he's learnt his lesson imo.

Shearer certainly (Wise was sent packing), but yes I think on balance he gave Kinnear more authority (or allowed Kinnear to take more authority) than Keegan.

By all accounts Wise was going anyway, Shearer only got them to announce it earlier.

I think Kinnear spouted a load of bollocks, got fuck all to spend and had 2 of his best players sold from under him.

Well if you're right (Given and Zog? You think they didn't want to go?) the we are going to have a torrid time in the Championship, if Ashley hasn't learnt his lessons, and won't/can't employ a quality manager and then back him.

They wanted to go. But Kinnear said repeatedly he didn't want them to. Once they did, they should have been replaced.

Yeah but that's been the story of this season, would they have wanted to go under a genuine Keegan regime in the first place? And if they did who would have made the better choices for replacements out of Keegan, Kinnear, Wise, Lambrusco(?!?), Ashley's daughter and even Shearer?

I'm not sure I get your point? How does that point support the argument that Ashley learned a lesson and supported later managers more than Keegan? It's the story of our season....and the only constant through it all has been Ashley/Llambias.

That he's backed later managers more, not that necessarily the right choices have been made, or the best things done, or even that all lessons have been learnt.

Although now it must only really be Llambias that Shearer would have to butt heads with, as Ashley probably isn't particularly involved (which is part of the problem).

Llambias has been the most public front man for a host of Ashley appointments behind the scenes. David Williamson, Steve Hayward, Jeff Vetere and John Irving are all his cronies too. I don't see why they'd be any more supportive of Shearer than they were of Keegan.

The only real test of that that can be judged tangibly, imo, is in transfer windows. Was there any more backing for the manager in January than there was in the summer / previous windows? I don't think so. Not sure that proves anything conclusively either way mind. You could point to him getting rid of Wise but it's difficult to know how much that was backing the manager / how short-term a move it was etc. Wouldn't surprise me if it was just a case of Wise's departure being brought forward. Basically, in conclusion, there's no real evidence he's learnt his lesson imo.

Maybe not, but then that's not what Fop was originally talking about.

I've just posted this over on Newcastle-Online so I thought I may as well do a good old copy and paste job.

Everyone knows my affection for Kevin Keegan, and yes of course I am biased towards Keegan. Especially when it comes to people like Mike Ashley, everyone Keegan has done for us in the past is why I believe he went for the right reasons. When it comes down to it, I would always choose Kevin Keegan over Mike Ashley, without a shadow of a doubt. Obviously some people disagree with me but that's life.

The day Mike Ashley chose his structure or more so his personnel over Keegan for me was the day he burnt his bridges with the club for me. It's true I will never forgive Ashley for allowing things to happen, that's right Mike Ashley. At the end of the day the buck stops with him, he is the man who has been naive and appointed all of the wrong people. Some may say Keegan too, I will agree with that to an extent. And that is simply due to the way his role was defined. Yet if he was given free reign things could have been so different for us.

I am fully aware of the fact we would not have been challenging for the big prize with Keegan in charge again, I never once believe we could do such a thing. Although the propaganda from the hierarchy at the time did make me think anything was possible.

Before Keegan was re-appointed I was not for it at all nor did I believe such could happen. Although I should have known better knowing what this club was like. I was of the belief that Kevin's time in football was over and he was destined to be a memory of everything that this club could potentially be. However, upon hearing that he had been re-appointed I can't describe the emotion I felt. Part of me told myself to think with my head, he had been out of the game for a few seasons, appeared to have fallen out of love with all things football, but then my heart told me this is Kevin Keegan, this is the man who not once, but twice made not just a football club, but a whole city be proud of who they are, who reinvigorated a people, who understood what this football club and city is all about. Once again I was enjoying going to the matches, I felt no matter where we finished under Keegan we would give it our best shot, and play football the way he and us believe it should be played. I honestly felt like I was 10 again, the aura of the man made me realise why I hold him in such high regards. As he said before the Old Trafford game when I felt it was simply a case of damaged limitation "I've told the players, the headlines aren't written, we write these headlines." It's that optimism, that enthusiasm that gave me that feeling of being a child again.

Then the day Keegan walked that was all gone, simply I don't blame him for going if the circumstances are true, I blame those above him for that, I blame those above him for ruining not just my dreams but the dreams of a people. The dreams of a man who had unfinished business. Events since have proven to me who was to blame, simply due to the sheer incompetency of those running the club. People may now hold the main in disdain, but for me he will always be the man who taught us that impossible was nothing, who showed us what it was like to be where we belong, a man who understood what you were feeling.

Thanks for everything Kevin.

Great post!!! sat and read it a good few times now.

Guest alex

Same applies to having backed later managers more (amounts to the same thing anyway in this context) - very little evidence of him doing / having done so.

Asprilla, you can try and play the smart arse if you like, but a bloke who never attends a Newcastle game telling a bloke that goes all the time that he'll never be a true fan in his eyes is fucking laughable. However you look at it.

It's called light hearted banter you miserable scrotum. <_<:(

Asprilla, you can try and play the smart arse if you like, but a bloke who never attends a Newcastle game telling a bloke that goes all the time that he'll never be a true fan in his eyes is fucking laughable. However you look at it.

It's called light hearted banter you miserable scrotum. <_<:(

:(

[/manc-foplite]

Not really. I think you're confusing Joe Kinnear eating Ashley's shit to keep a job with not being undermined.

The only diffeerence is that Keegan wouldn't take it.

Not really. I think you're confusing Joe Kinnear eating Ashley's shit to keep a job with not being undermined.

Do you think Shearer is currently eating Ashley's shit?

Guest alex

That's the point though Fop, because it's an 8 game spell with no transfer window etc., it doesn't prove anything about backing / not undermining the manager. You'll only find out if Shearer gets the job on a more permanent basis.

Do you think Shearer is currently eating Ashley's shit?

1 Geordie/1 Cockney 1 Cup?

That's the point though Fop, because it's an 8 game spell with no transfer window etc., it doesn't prove anything about backing / not undermining the manager. You'll only find out if Shearer gets the job on a more permanent basis.

Of course it's the point, not Fop's point, but the one HF's seems obsessed about.

Not only is it a case of, do you think Shearer is currently eating Ashley's shit?

But you can throw in, do you think Shearer is currently being undermined?, if you want too. <_<

Guest alex

Of course it's the point, not Fop's point, but the one HF's seems obsessed about.

Not only is it a case of, do you think Shearer is currently eating Ashley's shit?

But you can throw in, do you think Shearer is currently being undermined?, if you want too. <_<

We're fucked with Ashley, basically. That's the point.

I'd take Keegan back in a hearbeat under a different owner and make no apologies for saying so. The notion that he was somehow bound to fail is horseshit if you ask me. If they'd got him a left back and let him spend the Milner money instead of allowing Wise to spin out of control he'd still be here. It was entirely avoidable, but Ashley wasn't looking.

The money involved here is not much at all by PL standards and if Ashley had backed KK to a reasonable extent for his three-and-a-half years he'd be sitting on a very different club at the end of it. Stupid, stupid twat.

We're fucked with Ashley, basically. That's the point.

:blush: I think we are and I really don't want to see what he has in store for us in the Championship, really really don't (but looks like will do). :(

I'd take Keegan back in a hearbeat under a different owner and make no apologies for saying so. The notion that he was somehow bound to fail is horseshit if you ask me. If they'd got him a left back and let him spend the Milner money instead of allowing Wise to spin out of control he'd still be here. It was entirely avoidable, but Ashley wasn't looking.

The money involved here is not much at all by PL standards and if Ashley had backed KK to a reasonable extent for his three-and-a-half years he'd be sitting on a very different club at the end of it. Stupid, stupid twat.

:):(

Edited by Fop

Just to clarify my thoughts on Keegan....

Like most Newcastle fans, I have NEVER felt as excited about football as I have done with him as our manager...and I include this most recent time in that. The best times have all been under him as far as I'm concerned although Sir Berb was a very close second. I would STILL welcome him back and under a proper chairman I have NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER he would turn us into a very, very good side.

Shearer will do things differently though and it will be more professional...he may even win something...but I don't think for a second that it will be as exciting. :(<_<:(

Like most Newcastle fans, I have NEVER felt as excited about football as I have done with him as our manager...and I include this most recent time in that. The best times have all been under him as far as I'm concerned although Sir Berb was a very close second. I would STILL welcome him back and under a proper chairman I have NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER he would turn us into a very, very good side.

Shearer will do things differently though and it will be more professional...he may even win something...but I don't think for a second that it will be as exciting. :(<_<:blush:

Just hope Shearer has more shades of Fergy than Souness..... could go either way at the moment. :(

Shearer will do things differently though and it will be more professional...he may even win something...but I don't think for a second that it will be as exciting. :blush:<_<:)

And in a nutshell, this is our problem. For those of us who feel like you / me, it will never be as good again. It will take a new generation to get over keegan and until then his shadow will dwell, even over shearer.

Perhaps.... :(

Keegan had that effect on pretty much the whole country though. As much as Arsenal have played some beautiful football in the past 15 years or so, they never became the country's "second team" in the same way that Newcastle under Keegan did. The fans of other clubs can take the piss all they like, but for a while, we were like Brazil...ie it was perfectly acceptable and understandable to have a huge affection for the way we played and again, that has to be because of Keegan's infectious and at times flawed enthusiasm.

It was like watching a mixture of Princess Di, Jordan and Kelly Brook. Utterly beautiful, completely batshit crazy but completely mesmerizing. :(

I think the hurt comes from having another taste of that reality for such a brief but heartbreaking moment.

Shearer is obviously the way forward for us. He's Newcastle through and through, almost universally respected in the game, young and strong enough to deal with the pressure. I'm delighted he's there and hope to goodness we don't fuck this up although I'm not holding my breath.

Shearer will do things differently though and it will be more professional...he may even win something...but I don't think for a second that it will be as exciting. :(<_<:blush:

Just hope Shearer has more shades of Fergy than Souness..... could go either way at the moment. :(

True.

Guest alex

Shearer will do things differently though and it will be more professional...he may even win something...but I don't think for a second that it will be as exciting. :blush:<_<:)

And in a nutshell, this is our problem. For those of us who feel like you / me, it will never be as good again. It will take a new generation to get over keegan and until then his shadow will dwell, even over shearer.

Keegan had that effect on pretty much the whole country though. As much as Arsenal have played some beautiful football in the past 15 years or so, they never became the country's "second team" in the same way that Newcastle under Keegan did. The fans of other clubs can take the piss all they like, but for a while, we were like Brazil...ie it was perfectly acceptable and understandable to have a huge affection for the way we played and again, that has to be because of Keegan's infectious and at times flawed enthusiasm.

It was like watching a mixture of Princess Di, Jordan and Kelly Brook. Utterly beautiful, completely batshit crazy but completely mesmerizing. :(

I think the hurt comes from having another taste of that reality for such a brief but heartbreaking moment.

Shearer is obviously the way forward for us. He's Newcastle through and through, almost universally respected in the game, young and strong enough to deal with the pressure. I'm delighted he's there and hope to goodness we don't fuck this up although I'm not holding my breath.

Marilyn Monroe tbh.

Shearer will do things differently though and it will be more professional...he may even win something...but I don't think for a second that it will be as exciting. :)<_<:icon_lol:

Marilyn Monroe tbh.

Yep. Much better. :blush:

Guest alex

Shearer will do things differently though and it will be more professional...he may even win something...but I don't think for a second that it will be as exciting. :)<_<:icon_lol:

Marilyn Monroe tbh.

Yep. Much better. :blush:

I know :icon_lol: