Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

I loved it in spite of

the whole movements thing being a bit arthouse theatre, but I can forgive that given how good it was and how much the actors committed to those silly movements.

Apparently considering a second season too, which surprised me.

Pretty excited about the oa on what I've read about.

Just getting through Hip Hop evolution on Netflix. Highly recommended origin of the scene doc with interviews with all the key players from over the years.

I loved it in spite of

the whole movements thing being a bit arthouse theatre, but I can forgive that given how good it was and how much the actors committed to those silly movements.

Apparently considering a second season too, which surprised me.

Loved the twist back to reality in the last episode and then the final scene twists again, casting doubt / belief back into the audience. Well written, can see a second season if they want to.

It got an interesting review in the Guardian today saying its the defining TV show of the year.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/dec/07/why-westworld-is-the-defining-show-of-2016

It quotes Nolan as saying there was loads of intentional ambiguity to generate fan discussion on forums and compares the dialogue to a Boris Johnson speech (which seems a bit harsh). It also highlights the criticism that the characters are unrelateable which i reckon is why i struggled on the first couple of episodes. Not that any of that puts me off, ill definitely have to give it another go.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/dec/07/why-westworld-is-the-defining-show-of-2016

I think that reviewer misses the mark pretty hard on the show 'lacking substance'.

There's a lot of philosophical and psychological elements to it, as well as commentaries on human morality and ethics to consider throughout. It's the complete opposite of 'amoral'. The entire thing is an exploration of the human condition. I had several good discussions about the show along these lines.

Of course I'm not surprised all that is either ignored or about three body lengths above the head of a Guardian journalist.

Sorry for spoilers, Gemdawg.

Precedent of Iceland

In the absence of having a funny comment on a topic i invariably link to Stewart Lee's funny comments instead but I recently read Stewart Lee's book that transcribes his top gear routine and comments on it in the footnotes.

Both the routine and the commentary are very funny and very accurately skewer the show.

He's especially harsh on the hamster (not a real hamster) wishing an horrific death on him.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=LSNIoSezUEcC&q=Top+gear#v=onepage&q=Hamster&f=false

Both well worth a look.

Anyone see the Inside No. 9 Christmas special? I caught it by chance as I hadn't even heard it was going to be on. It wasn't my favourite thing that they've done but there were some funny bits. 

Finally got round to watching the end of The Fall, it was almost like whoever wrote it ran out of time to finish it properly and just went for the cop out ending. It felt like I was treading water for most of the third season.

Same here. Just finished it and the third season was very poor. Jamie Dornan is dreamy though but.