Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

Gervais is just parroting the opinions of every boring middle aged white bloke. And his offended shtick makes him look embarrassingly out of touch tbh. Merchant was the funny one.

In fact, Merchant had him bang to rights. “Weak observations, performed poorly” :lol: 

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

19 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I only watched the first 20mins too, I meant similar in the style of, well the opposite of self deprecation, whatever that’s called. Although when Gervais blows his own trumpet it’s hard to believe he’s joking

Self-aggrandisement?

Apart from The Office (I wasn't that fussed about Extras) I've only really found him funny in those little sketches he did for the 11 O'clock Show which was ages ago. They might not have stood the test of time either tbh

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I only watched the first 20mins too, I meant similar in the style of, well the opposite of self deprecation, whatever that’s called. Although when Gervais blows his own trumpet it’s hard to believe he’s joking

Ah yeah, gotcha, and totally agree on both points.

I watched a few episodes of Comdians in Cars earlier. Three of them, featuring Larry David, Lewis Black and Funkhouser. 

I really didn’t find the funny in them at all. Not the fault of the guests as Seinfeld offered no real opportunity to be funny and added nothing to the show itself.

Then again I’ve never found Seinfeld funny in anything he’s done (that one show).

36 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I watched a few episodes of Comdians in Cars earlier. Three of them, featuring Larry David, Lewis Black and Funkhouser. 

I really didn’t find the funny in them at all. Not the fault of the guests as Seinfeld offered no real opportunity to be funny and added nothing to the show itself.

Then again I’ve never found Seinfeld funny in anything he’s done (that one show).

I saw him live at the Manchester arena and he was shit. I literally didn't laugh once. I did love Seinfeld though, although I guess even then he was the straight man to George (not forgetting Kramer who was just ridiculous).

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

I don’t think I’ve ever given Seinfeld a proper go. Watched it a few times as a young teen but I don’t think it’s on repeat on UK TV?

No idea, but reckon it's one of those things that have had their time. Revolutionary in the 90s but too much good stuff released since. 

Currently re-watching The Thick Of It, absolute genius. It really is. Every episode is just great line after great line :icon_lol:

Malcom Tucker was always the highlight first time around but seeing them again I've realised how funny Peter Mannion is :lol:

Edited by Anorthernsoul

Operation Odessa, great story great watch.

The Defiant Ones, enjoyed this, didn't realise how influential Jimmy Lovine has been.

The Mechanism, apart from the suspect dubbing this could be decent.

The China hustle, scary the scale of the corruption but not surprising really.

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Ready player one. Spielberg doing what he does best. Well worth 2 hours 20 minutes of your time. 9/10

Really? I wasn’t impressed. Aside from the last Indiana Jones film, it’s the worst Spielberg film I’ve seen. It felt to me like a kid’s film. The acting was absolutely dreadful, the main character particularly so. I normally like Ben Mendelsohn but he was so wooden in this. 

Mind you, I thought ‘Avatar’ was a load of old toss so I probably shouldn’t have watched this in the first place.

Saw ‘You Were Never Really Here’ last week. It was pretty dark but Joaquin Pheonix is brilliant.

Saw Ready Player One in IMAX 3D. It was good but veers away from the book a fair bit. The original source material was a lot more about 80s movies/video games (ie my era) than the anime/90s references that littered the movie