Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

I'm going to commit absolute TV heresy. 

I didn't see The Sopranos first time around but caught odd snatches of quite a few episodes over the years and knew I was going to have to watch it eventually despite there being a lot of it. 

Anyway Sky Atlantic have started it from the beginning on Thursdays and I watched the first couple last week and wasn't that impressed. Obviously the performances and characters are there but I just didn't feel engaged at all. 

I'll probably keep going for a while though. 

We gave up on Breaking Bad after about 2.5 seasons...well, the current Mrs PL gave up and I wasn’t fussed one way or the other. I watched all the Sopranos on channel 4 then re watched it all with her years later and we both love it to this day. I’ll go back to Walter though... one day..

Edited by PaddockLad

I almost gave up on BB in the second season like but stuck it out which I'm extremely glad I did. 

I did think maybe the sopranos' status might be due  to it being one of the first really intense modern shows and maybe now I've seen so many similarly intense stories it's lost something in comparison. 

Breaking Bad gets 9.5/10 on IMDB, the Wire gets 9.3, and the Sopranos gets 9.2. All pretty phenominal scores. Only seen the former, doubt I'll get round to watching the others now, with so much high quality TV out, and given all these are a decade old.  

Different genre obviously, but Game of Thrones for me is the greatest TV ever (also 9.5/10). Only 3 or 4 months to go now. 

Edited by Renton

Sopranos was brilliant back then, might be a bit dated now.. long time since I seen it. Breaking bad was class though, one of those I was gutted when got to the end.

Busy watching Tin Star with Tim Roth just now. A bit odd in parts but good enough to stick it out so far.  Bizarre the bloke from coronation street is in it though :icon_lol: Kind of a Fargo type feel to it.

9 hours ago, Renton said:

Breaking Bad gets 9.5/10 on IMDB, the Wire gets 9.3, and the Sopranos gets 9.2. All pretty phenominal scores. Only seen the former, doubt I'll get round to watching the others now, with so much high quality TV out, and given all these are a decade old.  

Different genre obviously, but Game of Thrones for me is the greatest TV ever (also 9.5/10). Only 3 or 4 months to go now. 

Sopranos is mint, definitely worth watching still. As for the wire, it didn’t live up to the hype for me. Part of the problem was I couldn’t understand a bastard word anyone was saying 

I just caught up with the latest season of the affair. It’s declined a fair bit from the first season, which I found really engaging. Hard to see where they go from here if they drag it out another year and yet it was quite an unsatisfactory conclusion if this is as far as they take it.

1)BB

2) Sopranos 

3) GoT

60 something) the Wire

...though I am tempted to give the wire another go with subtitles switched on

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Haha 1

Yeah I tried The Wire but couldn't be arsed to put the effort in to the dialogue.

Might be because it was less intense but I'd also add The West Wing up there as I can dip in and rewatch 95% of episodes and still thoroughly enjoy them even after numerous views.

Also think Dexter is up there for me.

13 hours ago, Renton said:

:lol:

There's a lad at work who was dubious about the sopranos because it was 'old'. (He's 29). I thought it was quite funny he thought it old, I think it's hilarious you're thinking along those lines giving your age! (He absolutely loved it and still goes on about it, btw). ;)

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

:lol:

There's a lad at work who was dubious about the sopranos because it was 'old'. (He's 29). I thought it was quite funny he thought it old, I think it's hilarious you're thinking along those lines giving your age! (He absolutely loved it and still goes on about it, btw). ;)

How very dare you. 

Thing is, is it really arguable that there's more high quality drama than ever before? If you say have 1 hour a day to watch TV, you've got to be quite selective. There's dozens of series I've missed from the past and it's just too much time commitment to watch them now. 

Plus, maybe I'm wrong, but I take it the Sopranos is pretty much a mafia series?  Never been massively into US Italian crime for some reason. I mean yeah, the God Father and Goodfellas were decent, but not massively interesting to me. Neither are series where the protagonist is a good cop as it happens, does this fit the wire's description? 

What I liked about BB was the protagonist, anti-hero, scumbag, whatever you call him, was so unlikely, but utterly believable. Walter's and Jessy's counter flowing story arcs were brilliant. Aided by first class acting, and many other interesting characters. It was pretty unique imo. 

The Sopranos is a mafia story but there's a lot more going on. You should definitely make it a priority, it'll be a lot better than some of the bent shit you'll be watching like The Crown and The Bodyguard.

31 minutes ago, Renton said:

How very dare you. 

Thing is, is it really arguable that there's more high quality drama than ever before? If you say have 1 hour a day to watch TV, you've got to be quite selective. There's dozens of series I've missed from the past and it's just too much time commitment to watch them now. 

Plus, maybe I'm wrong, but I take it the Sopranos is pretty much a mafia series?  Never been massively into US Italian crime for some reason. I mean yeah, the God Father and Goodfellas were decent, but not massively interesting to me. Neither are series where the protagonist is a good cop as it happens, does this fit the wire's description? 

What I liked about BB was the protagonist, anti-hero, scumbag, whatever you call him, was so unlikely, but utterly believable. Walter's and Jessy's counter flowing story arcs were brilliant. Aided by first class acting, and many other interesting characters. It was pretty unique imo. 

the sporanos goes much deeper than just a straight mafia series. it's family v Family. tony soprano definitely influenced vince g when he devised walter white's anti hero/family man tension. the sopranos basically blazed a trail for all the best TV which followed in the so-called golden era. 

7 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Sopranos is mint, definitely worth watching still. As for the wire, it didn’t live up to the hype for me. Part of the problem was I couldn’t understand a bastard word anyone was saying 

“Jive talking”. I told you this years ago. :)

7 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

1)BB

2) Sopranos 

3) GoT

60 something) the Wire

...though I am tempted to give the wire another go with subtitles switched on

Thought it would be no problem to a grade A wigga such as yourself :razz: 

• Haha 1