Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

Just finished Deutschland 86. Didn't think it worked quite as well as 83 - the wider scope felt a bit unfocused and the earlier episodes more about showing off the fact they had a budget and could make things go boom, but the crumbling and contradictory DDR side of things was largely great, so still a decent watch.

11 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Is it still on iPlayer? I’ve been meaning to give it a go.

Aye. I think all 12 (2 series of 6 episodes) are still on iPlayer. They’re only 25-30 mins long. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Renton said:

Chernobyl. A rare must see, the fact it's a real story makes it terrifying. Not sure about the English accents though, probably my only complaint so far. 

Better than dodgy Russian accents though. 

Not a bad opener, though. 

Decent cast, too. 

Chernobyl episode 2 was a thriller. Would you sacrifice your life to save a million strangers?

Spoiler

Thing is, it didn't tally with what I thought I knew about the disaster, and a bit of cursory reseach confirms this. The programme talked about the threat that the molten reactor could cause a "30 megaton thermal explosion". Sorry, that is ludicrous and a complete misrepresentation of the science.

I understand the need for dramatic license but this story doesn't need it to that extent. It's dangerous as it gives a very misleading idea as to the ddangers of nuclear power. Climate change is a much bigger risk. 

Edit: This article backs me up. https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshellenberger/2019/05/09/the-reason-they-fictionalize-nuclear-disasters-like-chernobyl-is-because-they-kill-so-few-people/#5b40170441fc

Edited by Renton

On 07/05/2019 at 16:16, NJS said:

Last two things I've watched:

Hanna - really enjoyed it and looking forward to where it goes from here - the lass is excellent. 

Sex education - completely different to anything I normally watch but again thoroughly enjoyed it. I do admit I'd watch absolutely anything with Gillian Anderson in it though. 

Just started Russian doll - intriguing start. 

See education was way better than I thought it was going to be after one episode. I really enjoyed it in the end too, despite looking and feeling weirdly American 

I finished Russian Doll which was good but I thought the ending as in how they got out of it was a bit twee.

Also watched After life - really good but I can't for the life of me think how/why a second series will work/is needed (apart from a shed load of money obviously).

10 hours ago, NJS said:

I finished Russian Doll which was good but I thought the ending as in how they got out of it was a bit twee.

Also watched After life - really good but I can't for the life of me think how/why a second series will work/is needed (apart from a shed load of money obviously).

It turned to shit in S2 imo. 

On 11/05/2019 at 11:31, Renton said:

Chernobyl. A rare must see, the fact it's a real story makes it terrifying. Not sure about the English accents though, probably my only complaint so far. 

Good init?

27 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It’s moving very fucking slow.

Agreed. Stephen Graham is one hell of an actor though. Had me blubbing my eyes out in the last This is England. 

Years and years is properly grim as well, has that jug eared actor from Him and Her (hugely underated and criminally named comedy). Some aspects of it I really think are accurate predictors of where we are heading, others not so much. I half recommend it. 

15 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Have you ever seen Mum, Renton? From the creator of Him and Her and it's similarly excellent. Low-key, character driven comedy with excellent performances.

It’s very good. 

22 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Have you ever seen Mum, Renton? From the creator of Him and Her and it's similarly excellent. Low-key, character driven comedy with excellent performances.

No, I'll look out for it, cheers.