Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

8 hours ago, zerosum said:

chernobyl was horrifying, really well made. Scary in a way like threads was when I was a kid.

Has everybody got the same abiding memory of that film? The middle aged woman literally pissing herself outside M&S in Sheffield when the 4 minute warning starts? 

• Haha 1

I haven't watched it yet but when we went to Kiev in 2003 we did a city bus tour and the guide stated in a very matter of fact way that the wind was blowing away from Kiev that day and they reckon if it had been reversed they were looking at 50k deaths. Could be a scare story but it certainly had that affect on me. 

We were playing Leicester away that weekend and I remember it pissing down for about three days and I've always wondered how big a dose we got - they mentioned Cumbria taking the brunt so I was "glad" to be out of the North. I have no clue if there was a spike in cancer stats in the UK. 

6 minutes ago, NJS said:

I haven't watched it yet but when we went to Kiev in 2003 we did a city bus tour and the guide stated in a very matter of fact way that the wind was blowing away from Kiev that day and they reckon if it had been reversed they were looking at 50k deaths. Could be a scare story but it certainly had that affect on me. 

We were playing Leicester away that weekend and I remember it pissing down for about three days and I've always wondered how big a dose we got - they mentioned Cumbria taking the brunt so I was "glad" to be out of the North. I have no clue if there was a spike in cancer stats in the UK. 

It doesn't really work like that, it's not a linear relationship. Beneath a certain level of radiation, the body can survive without any adverse effects at all. I suspect not a single person died in the UK as a result of Chernobyl. And the deaths around the Chernobyl region itself were less than you'd think, in double figures directly and perhaps hundreds in terms of reduced life span due to cancer. The programme has sensationalised things a bit. For instance, the 3 suicide volunteers didn't die as suggested, 2 of them are alive today and 1 died from an unrelated illness years later iirc. 

I think they're also over hyping the "never happened on this planet before" angle - I think three mile island was pretty similar in terms of potential disaster. 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Has everybody got the same abiding memory of that film? The middle aged woman literally pissing herself outside M&S in Sheffield when the 4 minute warning starts? 

yes hahaha 

56 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Oooh, Chernobyl is beautifully bleak. Gripping first couple of episodes 

Brilliant  finale tonight. Sometimes real life stories surpass fiction. Often in fact. But hats off to the production and direction of this. I even forgot about the accents as the acting was class. More like this please.

Wor lass hasn't quite worked out that I'm paying absolutely no attention to it when it's on.  She keeps making comments looking for me to come back with a response.  The only response she's likely to get is turn this fucking shite off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, David Kelly said:

Wor lass hasn't quite worked out that I'm paying absolutely no attention to it when it's on.  She keeps making comments looking for me to come back with a response.  The only response she's likely to get is turn this fucking shite off.

Mine watched it for the first time last year. She's got the hint that if it's on she won't see me as ill either go out or. Go elsewhere and read or watch something else. She's not even bothered this year. 

2 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Mine watched it for the first time last year. She's got the hint that if it's on she won't see me as ill either go out or. Go elsewhere and read or watch something else. She's not even bothered this year. 

She's missed a trick there. I'm surprised it wasn't on in every room. :razz:

• Haha 3

Never seen it. (Never will).

Fucking hate 'reality' programmes or any bollocks with 'celebrity' in the title. I once heard two minutes of the first Geordie shore that the missus watched while I was in the next room. Horrendous. :lol: Fuck. That.