Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

Bit late to the party but just started peaky blinders. Stylish start, could be in for the long haul. The only thing putting me off is the accents. Not a single character can pull off a convincing brummie twang - most of them speak some weird scouse hybrid.

21 hours ago, thebrokendoll said:

missed this when it was shown on bbc4, fantastic watch for anybody who was in their prime perhaps during the mid to late 80s and what life was like in britain.

the blurb is....

A re-evaluation of acid house, a musical phenomenon that, as this film shows, did not spring out of nowhere, but owed its emergence to the social and political landscape of 1980s Britain

Oh fucking hell!! What was that tune on the intro first minute or two on this.. was it techno trance or something.. got goosebumps there haha, will give it a watch.

Edit, just sat and watched it, really good thanks.

Edited by zerosum

I've seen bits of it here and there without seeing a full Ep and it looked pretty good to me. 

Don't they try and excuse the accents by selling the family as Irish immigrants? 

3 hours ago, NJS said:

I've seen bits of it here and there without seeing a full Ep and it looked pretty good to me. 

Don't they try and excuse the accents by selling the family as Irish immigrants? 

Pikey blinders.

I like it. Diminishing returns like. 

The tynemouth bar is a pop up in Green Ginger. Its tiny.

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Pikey blinders.

I like it. Diminishing returns like. 

The tynemouth bar is a pop up in Green Ginger. Its tiny.

In other words you’ve been and you loved it and you wore a flat cap

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Renton said:

Not really the right thread, but went to the land of the damned yesterday to watch Book of Mormon. Brilliant, a work of genius. 

Saw it years ago in London and recently in Manc, it’s amazing 

Finally got round to watching This Time and you can really tell Coogan has been doing this character for 20 years now. Probably his best performance since the original series since it calls for a lot more subtlety in the on-screen segments. He has an amazing chemistry with Tim Key and they did a perfect job of transporting it over from Mid-Morning Matters. Would give the wife a good rimming as well.

• Like 1

Also, when I'm here, I watched the second series of Mortimer and Whitehouse: Gone Fishing and found it equal parts hilarious, touching and genuinely moving. A beautiful depiction of genuine friendship, stripped of all pretence, filled with warmth and affection throughout. Bob Mortimer pretty much done me in at two separate points; the gifts given to Paul with the express instruction to not touch either until he dies, with the implicit intonation that he is very much aware of his mortality cutting through like a knife and that, coupled with his description of the "eureka" moment of depression hit me harder than I honestly expected it to. As someone struggling with persistent thoughts of meaninglessness, depression and existential anxiety, seeing these raw, candid slices of emotion from him and how he places so much emphasis on the small things made me feel a lot better. Life is not what we do, it's the meaning we attach to things throughout our shared experiences with people we love and we all have something, even when we think have nothing.

There's no punchline to this, I just have to get this out.

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Let's not show our love too publicly, it'll make people queasy. Like we're loved up teenagers or inconsiderate homosexuals on a bus.

Anyone with half a brain would know it’s not right. 

:whistle: 

On 06/09/2019 at 23:20, Dr Gloom said:

Bit late to the party but just started peaky blinders. Stylish start, could be in for the long haul. The only thing putting me off is the accents. Not a single character can pull off a convincing brummie twang - most of them speak some weird scouse hybrid.

Surely it's a good thing that they don't do convincing brummie accents?  It's comfortably the worst accent in the world.