Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

My feeling watching the first episode of the new season was exactly like the first episode of season one. This isn’t right: it feels like it is an Americanised view of Britain designed for Netflix’s global audience. It lacks authenticity. But a couple of episodes in, I’m hooked again.

I just finished The Witcher series recently, and I genuinely enjoyed it - much to my surprise.

For those who aren't sure, it has the benefit of significant screen time for Anya Chalotra, and quite a bit less screen time for her wardrobe.

20 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I just finished The Witcher series recently, and I genuinely enjoyed it - much to my surprise.

For those who aren't sure, it has the benefit of significant screen time for Anya Chalotra, and quite a bit less screen time for her wardrobe.

I'm about half way through. Sounding like Gemmill here, but I'm struggling with the plot a bit, especially the overall story arc. Does it become more clear? The action scenes are excellent mind. 

Aye, one thing I found difficult in the early episodes was the unannounced flashbacks which are just not obvious enough that the viewer doesn't take a period of time to figure out what's going on.

Truthfully it's hard for me to say how the story holds up without the games for context. 

Having said that, the overall arc to keep track of in particular is Geralt and Ciri. That's the main story.

We watched the first episode, only because my lass likes this type of shit, and both agreed that it was unmitigated horseshit. Haven't watched any more. 

That is how you sound like me when talking about this bullshit, Renton. :razz:

Btw I relayed the above to someone who enjoyed the series, and pointed out that the main bloke's acting was so fucking wooden it was ridiculous. 

"Ah that's because the Witcher is unable to have feelings" was the reply. :lol:

19 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Truthfully it's hard for me to say how the story holds up without the games for context. 

Wait, this is based on a fucking video game?! Hmmm, might explain things. I'll keep going anyway as I am enjoying it. 

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

Wait, this is based on a fucking video game?! Hmmm, might explain things. I'll keep going anyway as I am enjoying it. 

Well yes and no. The games are based on a fairly well renowned series of books - and the series sticks closer to the plot from the books than the games. But Geralt is modelled and styled on the game. Right down to the voice.

1 minute ago, Renton said:

When you've finished with it, you might like the Super Mario Brothers movie. Hoskins is at his very best. 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Btw I relayed the above to someone who enjoyed the series, and pointed out that the main bloke's acting was so fucking wooden it was ridiculous. 

I mean it's true, but it's also because you're supposed to have room to project yourself onto him in the video games. I think they get away with it but then I'm appreciating it through a slightly different lens to the uninitiated, I suppose :D

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Henry Cavill is a fairly shit actor mind.

2 hours ago, Renton said:

Yeah, there's never been a good video game adaptation tbf, although maybe this is it. The trailer for the Sonic film ffs! 

The first Mortal Kombat film is good and if people don't agree, they're welcome to be frozen by Sub-Zero and gradually used for me to chill rum and cokes.

9 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Well yes and no. The games are based on a fairly well renowned series of books - and the series sticks closer to the plot from the books than the games. But Geralt is modelled and styled on the game. Right down to the voice.

I looked the game Witcher 3 up, and seen its on the Switch. I've not had time to play games the last few years but was one of the first generation of gamers back in the day. Anyway, last year i got into it a bit spending hundreds of hours on Zelda botw. The Witcher is apparently similar in many ways, gameplay, open world etc. Might give it a go given the portability of the switch makes these things accessible. Expensive though.

25 minutes ago, Renton said:

I looked the game Witcher 3 up, and seen its on the Switch. I've not had time to play games the last few years but was one of the first generation of gamers back in the day. Anyway, last year i got into it a bit spending hundreds of hours on Zelda botw. The Witcher is apparently similar in many ways, gameplay, open world etc. Might give it a go given the portability of the switch makes these things accessible. Expensive though.

It's on everything I think. I played it on PC - not sure how well it fares on switch, look up some reviews on that first. I like the Switch but I would have thought the Witcher 3 might be pushing its capabilities.

And only go for it if you're prepared to legitimately drop about 60-80 hours finishing it (which should assist in justifying the cost). It took me two attempts if I'm honest, and I'm not quite as bowled over by it as many seem to be, but it is undeniably well executed.

Suffers from weird video game nudity and sex though. Never works, don't know why anyone ever bothers with it - but the Witcher has it in spades.

Edited by Rayvin
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rayvin said:

It's on everything I think. I played it on PC - not sure how well it fares on switch, look up some reviews on that first. I like the Switch but I would have thought the Witcher 3 might be pushing its capabilities.

And only go for it if you're prepared to legitimately drop about 60-80 hours finishing it (which should assist in justifying the cost). It took me two attempts if I'm honest, and I'm not quite as bowled over by it as many seem to be, but it is undeniably well executed.

Suffers from weird video game nudity and sex though. Never works, don't know why anyone ever bothers with it - but the Witcher has it in spades.

Yeah, the switch reviews are good. Obviously the graphics suffer a bit but I find these things make little difference if you play it on the native screen, rather than on the telly. Wolfenstein looked pretty good. It'll be a canny stop gap until the PS5 comes out (I've skipped the PS4). 

35 minutes ago, Renton said:

Yeah, the switch reviews are good. Obviously the graphics suffer a bit but I find these things make little difference if you play it on the native screen, rather than on the telly. Wolfenstein looked pretty good. It'll be a canny stop gap until the PS5 comes out (I've skipped the PS4). 

If you do get The Witcher , you’ll get your arse kicked in the first few levels until you get the hang of it, but stick with it. 

Its excellent. 
( and as Rayvin says, the cyber-nookie is hilarious :lol: )