Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

16 hours ago, Carl said:

This is us on Amazon Prime is very good for a binge with the wife.

The current Mrs PL likes it very much and  the first season was ok but it’s mawkish sentimentalism and  constant moralising puts it in the Greys Anatomy department of sheer fuckin awfulness . 

If anyone else wants their mass market US drama critiqued by a monstrously hungover middle aged bastard please DM me. Flexible payment methods easoliy arranged, usually via Beerhawk :good:

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

The current Mrs PL likes it very much and  the first season was ok but it’s mawkish sentimentalism and  constant moralising puts it in the Greys Anatomy department of sheer fuckin awfulness . 

If anyone else wants their mass market US drama critiqued by a monstrously hungover middle aged bastard please DM me. Flexible payment methods easoliy arranged, usually via Beerhawk :good:

I would like your expert opinion of the final scene of season 2 of The Boys if you have the time.

On 07/10/2020 at 11:29, Alex said:

Been watching Australia with Simon Reeve. Genuinely don’t think he’s made anything that wasn’t excellent. Also been watching the reruns on iPlayer of Michael Palin’s Around the World in 80 Days. Some of the stuff he did was mad but the trip in a dhow from Dubai to Bombay (as it was then) through the straits of Hormuz was crackers. It was a proper rickety old ship with no radar, satnav or anything like that using a sextant for navigation. Not to mention negotiating waters containing naval mines left over from the Iran-Iraq war 

Love Reevesy, not sure about the scarfs though 

22 hours ago, Carl said:

I would like your expert opinion of the final scene of season 2 of The Boys if you have the time.

Setup for season 3 without much of a conclusion. I do like but it already feels like they’re going to drag it out season after season

On 10/12/2020 at 21:16, spongebob toonpants said:

Utopia. The original on Amazon Prime. I don't know how I missed this in the past, but it is magnificent

I watched the US remake last week and thought it was great. I then went back and started watching the original, which is beautifully shot and graded but has huge story points missing (characters just appear with no idea who or where they are from).

There is significant story difference between the two versions but I would be frustrated as fuck if I hadn't watched the US remake who were clever enough to fill in those gaps.

1 hour ago, sammynb said:

I watched the US remake last week and thought it was great. I then went back and started watching the original, which is beautifully shot and graded but has huge story points missing (characters just appear with no idea who or where they are from).

There is significant story difference between the two versions but I would be frustrated as fuck if I hadn't watched the US remake who were clever enough to fill in those gaps.

I had heard the US remake was a pale imitation of the original, but now I might give it a whirl. I will report back, but it sounds to me you weren't quite clever enough to understand the original withot being spoonfed a watered down version^_^

28 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

So I just watched the first episode of the remake. Thinking it is better than the original is akin to thinking a Vesta Beef Curry is the best form of Indian food

Yeah keep at it - by the way I didn't say it was better, what I said was huge problems with the original's story points and characters.

And no Bob I don't need spoon feeding, well not TV storylines and plot points!

31 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

So I just watched the first episode of the remake. Thinking it is better than the original is akin to thinking a Vesta Beef Curry is the best form of Indian food

btw wtf is a Vesta Beef Curry?

Best indian food from a restaurant I've had was in Stirling but now I've got an allergy to chilli so all curries are fucked!

Speaking of Vesta, these crispy noodles they did in the 1970s where the highlight of the month when I was a nipper. 

8e1f180c44adacd751639160cd2a8ee3.jpg

Usually served with a bowl of Ma Fist’s fried rice, with highly nutritious cubes of Pek chopped pork :lol:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Speaking of Vesta, these crispy noodles they did in the 1970s where the highlight of the month when I was a nipper. 

8e1f180c44adacd751639160cd2a8ee3.jpg

Usually served with a bowl of Ma Fist’s fried rice, with highly nutritious cubes of Pek chopped pork :lol:

Crispy noodles? Are you sure they weren't just... crisps?

21 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

:lol:
They were remarkably similar to Quavers, but without the cheesy dust. 

When I was a kid, circa mid 60's, got taken to a county show/exhibition thing in Exhibition Park (aptly named) and one stall was mobbed, bloke was chucking these little flakes into a big chip pan and they'd fluff up like magic (basically quavers before quavers were a thing) had a big audience and loads of "oooh Aaah's" going on, needless to say mam and dad bought some, they tried at home, chip pan had to be up to napalm and indeed they fluffed up but then burned in seconds, if they did get them right they were OK but greasy a fuck.

Edited by Toonpack

I see they're doing a Dexter revival - due out next year. No details apart from Michael C Hall returning. 

I know I'm the only person on the planet who didn't hate the ending and maybe it should have ended after 4 years but I'm still looking forward to seeing what they come up with.