Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

''The Muslim Tommies'' on Iplayer is worth a watch. here

It gives good insight into military anglo-indian relationships and might be worth a watch if you are of set BNP mindset. :)

(to cure some ignorance)

The Thirties In Colour (Part 4) is a very good watch. (Available on iPlayer)

It focusses on pre war Germany and the tourists that went there from America and other places. So you basically see the beginnings of Nazi Party dominance, Anti-Semitic news papers emerging and then eventually signs inside shop windows and outside villages advertising their policies on the Jews.

Also footage of Jews in the Ghetto perfectly happy before anything serious had kicked off and private footage of Hitler filmed by Eva Braun. Interesting to see a big pile of Nazi's chillin to the maximum at the Eagles nest and as soon as Hitler walks in it's all handshakes and formality.

Very strange to watch American tourists walk down streets covered in giant red swastika's before they knew what it meant.

Just finished watching Whale Wars, possibly the most nail biting and inspiring and emotional pieces of television I have ever seen, the final episode of season 2 is utterly heartwrenching.

• 1 month later...

After people going on and on and on about the Wire, we bought series 1-4 for 20 pesos a piece.

And fuck me how good is it?!??

So good the bastards haven't released series 5 here so I had to order it from the UK, along with The Corner & series 1-3 of Homicide: Life on the Streets, which are also written by David Simon.

Any of you lot ever see Twin Peaks?

It was this David Lynch (Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, etc.) and Mark Frost (Hill Street Blues)created ABC show that only ran for a season and a half back around 1990. I caught the last four episodes in a marathon on Chiller over the weekend. Haven't watched the whole series in about 10 years, but fuck me it's still great.

I'm not totally familar with it, but I know it was on Hulu.com for a while, and I'm sure it's still floating around the torrents.

Wikipedia describes it as Twin Peaks is an American television serial drama created by David Lynch and Mark Frost. The series follows the investigation, headed by Special Agent Dale Cooper (Kyle MacLachlan), of the brutal murder of a popular teenager and homecoming queen, Laura Palmer (Sheryl Lee).

Whole lot more to it than that, but that's the main plotline. It's a drama/ cop show more or less, but there are some sci-fi, horror, and comedy elements to it as well.

Edited by Cid_MCDP

Yeah I remember Twin Peaks - I was a big fan of it and unlike many people at the time thought the second series was just as good as the first.

I had hockey practice or something the night it was on when originally aired. I didn't get to see it until I bought the VHS box set in '96 (which was maddening because I had rented Fire Walk With Me in like 1994 and was just floored by it).

Second series was great too. I can see why some folks lost interest after they revealed who had killed Laura though. It'd be kinda like if the people on LOST got off the island and they still had another season afterwards. The die hards would still be interested in what was going down on the island, but a lot of folks would just be, "They're off. Cool." and never watch again.

Yeah I remember Twin Peaks - I was a big fan of it and unlike many people at the time thought the second series was just as good as the first.

I had hockey practice or something the night it was on when originally aired. I didn't get to see it until I bought the VHS box set in '96 (which was maddening because I had rented Fire Walk With Me in like 1994 and was just floored by it).

Second series was great too. I can see why some folks lost interest after they revealed who had killed Laura though. It'd be kinda like if the people on LOST got off the island and they still had another season afterwards. The die hards would still be interested in what was going down on the island, but a lot of folks would just be, "They're off. Cool." and never watch again.

I liked Twin Peaks but I thought the second series was a piss-take.

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched the first two episodes of AMC's remake/ redux of The Prisoner. I never saw the originals, but am aware they're very much a cult classic and highly regarded. That being said, this new version was very, very well done. Ian McKellen is scary as 2 and Jim Caviezel (sp?) is good as 6. Check it out if you get a chance.

Life, the BBC nature series, had not stirred me up until last nights episode on insects. I missed the first three episodes and the fish and birds ones were same old, same old, but some of the images on the final episode were stunning. The slow motion Bee with a Sergio Leone landscape behind him looked incredible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00nxks3/Life_Insects/

Anyone been watching The Thirties in Colour on BBC4? It was excellent last night I thought. Dweeb that I am.

But weren't the thirties in black and white?

For some reason this has reminded me of an old Calvin and Hobbes sketch. I miss Waterson.

calvin-father-on-black-and-white-pictures.gif

Remember that old poster called Hobbes? What a twat he was btw.

;)

Just had a root around the internet and found some wholly disturbing/depressing images of Calvin when he's grown up. Never mind.

What to watch? Anyone watching True Blood at the moment? It's shite like.