Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

I know that many of you don't care for Yank sports, let alone hockey, but HBO's 24/7: Penguins/ Capitals is probably the best sports documentary series I've ever seen.

Realizing that I'm a big hockey fan and that I'm probably somewhat biased, I'm tellin' ya, the first two episodes have been brilliant. Sure, it's got a lot of what you'd expect from a series that sells itself as a behind-the-scenes, all-access type of show- the coach cursing out the players in the locker room, various shenanigans, the grind of the schedule, etc., but what surprised even me, an NHL fan for 20 years now, was just how desensitized to pain and violence the players are.

I know, it sounds kinda obvious talking about hockey players, and they're not total robots- they do get pissed off and fight at times, but a lot of the time, it's just part of the job. It's no different than me coming back into the plant when the computers go down- it's just what you do to help out your co-workers. The funny thing, is whoever the guy is on the other end of the fight feels the same way. Case in point, Caps star Alex Ovechkin and the New York Rangers' Brandon Dubinsky get into a decently serious fight in the first episode of the show. They go at it pretty good (for two guys who aren't really known for their fighting ability) for 30-45 seconds (pretty much average hockey fight), then as they both hit the ice, through the HBO parabolic mics, you hear both players say simultaneously, "Good job, buddy", as they skate off to their respective penalty boxes. Or when the Penguins defensive corps is firing each other up down in the tunnel before a game by hitting each other in the chest and arms with their sticks. These guys are just so used to living with pain over the course of an 82 game season, a few whacks (plenty hard enough to leave bruises or break skin on mere mortals like us) to fire each other up is just part of it- no different than me handing a co-worker a screwdriver or holding the flashlight so they can see what they're working on.

Absolutely fascinating and not at all what I thought the series would turn out to be. Absolutely dejected there'll only be a few more episodes- it's all basically a lead up to the Penguins v Capitals Winter Classic- the NHL's outdoor game played on New Year's Day. Good stuff. If you dig the sports mentality, the mindset of a professional athlete, and that kind of thing, hockey or not, check it out. I bet you won't be sorry.

Sounds good, Cid. :D

I know that many of you don't care for Yank sports, let alone hockey, but HBO's 24/7: Penguins/ Capitals is probably the best sports documentary series I've ever seen.

Realizing that I'm a big hockey fan and that I'm probably somewhat biased, I'm tellin' ya, the first two episodes have been brilliant. Sure, it's got a lot of what you'd expect from a series that sells itself as a behind-the-scenes, all-access type of show- the coach cursing out the players in the locker room, various shenanigans, the grind of the schedule, etc., but what surprised even me, an NHL fan for 20 years now, was just how desensitized to pain and violence the players are.

I know, it sounds kinda obvious talking about hockey players, and they're not total robots- they do get pissed off and fight at times, but a lot of the time, it's just part of the job. It's no different than me coming back into the plant when the computers go down- it's just what you do to help out your co-workers. The funny thing, is whoever the guy is on the other end of the fight feels the same way. Case in point, Caps star Alex Ovechkin and the New York Rangers' Brandon Dubinsky get into a decently serious fight in the first episode of the show. They go at it pretty good (for two guys who aren't really known for their fighting ability) for 30-45 seconds (pretty much average hockey fight), then as they both hit the ice, through the HBO parabolic mics, you hear both players say simultaneously, "Good job, buddy", as they skate off to their respective penalty boxes. Or when the Penguins defensive corps is firing each other up down in the tunnel before a game by hitting each other in the chest and arms with their sticks. These guys are just so used to living with pain over the course of an 82 game season, a few whacks (plenty hard enough to leave bruises or break skin on mere mortals like us) to fire each other up is just part of it- no different than me handing a co-worker a screwdriver or holding the flashlight so they can see what they're working on.

Absolutely fascinating and not at all what I thought the series would turn out to be. Absolutely dejected there'll only be a few more episodes- it's all basically a lead up to the Penguins v Capitals Winter Classic- the NHL's outdoor game played on New Year's Day. Good stuff. If you dig the sports mentality, the mindset of a professional athlete, and that kind of thing, hockey or not, check it out. I bet you won't be sorry.

Do you listen to puck nuts?

http://smodcast.com/pucknuts/

I don't, actually, but I'll check it out if it has your endorsement!

Just finished The Wire. ;)

Not sure what to watch next, still haven't seen Prison Break, Treme, The Shield, West Wing and many others yet like.

A lot of people are saying that Terriers is good, think it just came out this year.

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

I can never get in to yank things to be honest. I can't even put my finger on why, I just can't get in to them, even the new V I thought I'd love and got bored after 5 episodes.

If any of you have ESPN Classic, there are a load of Tyson documentaries on all the time, amazing viewing. He's adamant he never raped no one, he was convicted of it and only god knows if he did it, but he's got so many tales to tell.

You ever tried The Wire?

I've seen the documentary about Tyson like, was brilliant.

Might download that Escobar thing you were on about yesterday before starting another series of owt.

EDIT: I knew before opening the page your post would contain something about Yanks. ;)

Edited by Besty

I can never get in to yank things to be honest. I can't even put my finger on why, I just can't get in to them, even the new V I thought I'd love and got bored after 5 episodes.

If any of you have ESPN Classic, there are a load of Tyson documentaries on all the time, amazing viewing. He's adamant he never raped no one, he was convicted of it and only god knows if he did it, but he's got so many tales to tell.

The new V was shit. Waaaaay too much shitty bluescreen. Can't anyone build sets anymore?

I've not listened to it but they're all on the Tell em Steve Dave podcast which is the funniest podcast I've heard......think they concentrate on the Devils in pick nuts.

I've not listened to it but they're all on the Tell em Steve Dave podcast which is the funniest podcast I've heard......think they concentrate on the Devils in pick nuts.

Oh God- they must be ready to kill themselves then!

(The Devs signed arguably the most talented unrestricted free agent ever last summer and it's completely blown up in their faces. They have 9 wins and 24 losses currently.)

So is that a View Askew deal then?

I've been recommend Breaking Bad.

So it looks like that will be my next bit of essential viewing.

Breaking Bad is class. Best show on television.

I'm currently catching up on Mad Men and Doctor Who, and am on season 2 of both. Loving David Tennant as the Doctor.

I'm currently catching up on Mad Men and Doctor Who, and am on season 2 of both. Loving David Tennant as the Doctor.

Echo that about breaking Bad, Walter White is a fucking class character!

Echo that about breaking Bad, Walter White is a fucking class character!

I was reading an article the other day comparing Breaking Bad and Dexter, and trying to explain why Dexter hasn't been that good in the last season or so, and they basically were saying that the writers of BB arent afraid to unleash Walter White's animal, and the show is just Walter getting progressively deeper and deeper into this world of drugs and insanity, whereas Dexter is all about the progression of Dexter out of madness.

Also, read another article recently about the roles of the leading men in these dramas that everyone loves. Theyre all guys who struggle to balance their personal life with their professional life (Dexter, Walter White, Don Draper, Tony Soprano). Which I think says something about what is resonating with audiences now (not quite sure what tbh, but it says something! :icon_lol:)

I've been watching a series called 'Still Game'. Two actors wo made it are Ford Kiernan and Greg Hemphill.

Set in Scotland, it's about too old codgers who are, as the title states 'Still game'. It's fucking hilarious.

I've been watching a series called 'Still Game'. Two actors wo made it are Ford Kiernan and Greg Hemphill.

Set in Scotland, it's about too old codgers who are, as the title states 'Still game'. It's fucking hilarious.

Yeah its an excellent programme, spin off from the sketch show 'Chewin' the fat' if you haven't seen that yet. I've got 5 series of Still game on dvd and i think for series 5 its just starting to drop a little in standard (but still good), and i haven't seen the ones after that to know what its like.

This thread should be put in the gerld section just for recommending Breaking Bad. Started watching it last Wednesday thanks to the tip off & already got to season 3.

Walter White is like Tony Soprano with Larry David tendencies :lol:

10 oot of 10

This thread should be put in the gerld section just for recommending Breaking Bad. Started watching it last Wednesday thanks to the tip off & already got to season 3.

Walter White is like Tony Soprano with Larry David tendencies :lol:

10 oot of 10

I'm half way through the 2nd season already like, proper quality. I hate his wife and her sister though, the ugly fuckers.

Currently rewatching the first season of Prison Break (Mrs Jimbo hadn't seen it), what a great show that was, shame it went rapidly down hill.

Currently rewatching the first season of Prison Break (Mrs Jimbo hadn't seen it), what a great show that was, shame it went rapidly down hill.

What's it about, people trying to break out of prison?