Besty

Recommend me something to watch!

It was one of the best things I've seen in recent times. I might get round to starting a thread when I can be arsed.

Aye, it was class.

It got an interesting review in the Guardian today saying its the defining TV show of the year.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/dec/07/why-westworld-is-the-defining-show-of-2016

It quotes Nolan as saying there was loads of intentional ambiguity to generate fan discussion on forums and compares the dialogue to a Boris Johnson speech (which seems a bit harsh). It also highlights the criticism that the characters are unrelateable which i reckon is why i struggled on the first couple of episodes. Not that any of that puts me off, ill definitely have to give it another go. 

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/dec/07/why-westworld-is-the-defining-show-of-2016

Aye, pretty much on board with all of that. There's no way that she did it, but fuck me she is a weird cunt and she did herself no favours during the investigation.

Posted about that Mail journalist on here the other day. What a fucking creep.

I particularly liked his closing comments

''I can't reveal my sources but what am I expected to do? Fact check all the information I'm given before I print it?''

Er, yeah, pretty much

Started on Westworld, picked up on them playing an old timey version of black hole sun on the piano :lol:

edit> ah there's paint it black guess it'll be a running theme throughout then

Did anybody on here catch the BBC Storyville documentary that was about Beitar Jerusalem?

Essential watching like.

Just reminded me but did anyone else catch that John Pilger film about the US and its Pacific bases? Looked canny but I've only seen the start and recorded it. Quite surprised to see it on ITV at a reasonable time (think it started at 10). It wasn't pulling any punches.

Enjoyed Westworld from the start but wasn't blown away with the last episode if that's to be the last one?

Definitely second lot filming next summer.

I got a bit bored after three but intend to go back to it over the break.

I loved it in spite of

the whole movements thing being a bit arthouse theatre, but I can forgive that given how good it was and how much the actors committed to those silly movements.

Apparently considering a second season too, which surprised me.

Pretty excited about the oa on what I've read about.

Just getting through Hip Hop evolution on Netflix. Highly recommended origin of the scene doc with interviews with all the key players from over the years.

I loved it in spite of

the whole movements thing being a bit arthouse theatre, but I can forgive that given how good it was and how much the actors committed to those silly movements.

Apparently considering a second season too, which surprised me.

Loved the twist back to reality in the last episode and then the final scene twists again, casting doubt / belief back into the audience. Well written, can see a second season if they want to.

It got an interesting review in the Guardian today saying its the defining TV show of the year.

It quotes Nolan as saying there was loads of intentional ambiguity to generate fan discussion on forums and compares the dialogue to a Boris Johnson speech (which seems a bit harsh). It also highlights the criticism that the characters are unrelateable which i reckon is why i struggled on the first couple of episodes. Not that any of that puts me off, ill definitely have to give it another go.

I think that reviewer misses the mark pretty hard on the show 'lacking substance'.

There's a lot of philosophical and psychological elements to it, as well as commentaries on human morality and ethics to consider throughout. It's the complete opposite of 'amoral'. The entire thing is an exploration of the human condition. I had several good discussions about the show along these lines.

Of course I'm not surprised all that is either ignored or about three body lengths above the head of a Guardian journalist.

Sorry for spoilers, Gemdawg.

Precedent of Iceland

Watched the end of the OA. Fucking hell man :lol:

just watching episode 1 of this, not sure if i can be arsed with it... worth while or not?

just googled "the oa" and the first result that game up was from a New york newspaper 

"Let’s Ponder the Ridiculous, Infuriating Interpretive Dance-Filled Finale of ‘The OA’"

i'm out