Besty

Recommend me something to watch!

8 hours ago, David Kelly said:

Two of my favourite discoveries of the last year or so combined there.

cheers for that.

Finished sneaky pete season 2 last night. Was decent once a few episodes in. Couldn’t see where it was going at first but it picked up a bit.

Going to try Mcmafia now.

I thought it was fairly average. The chimp talk seemed to be trying to be offensive more than funny. The Twitter stuff was okay. Overall it just didn’t bring the laughs.

i enjoyed it, though the quality was mixed. i like how he aims to offend, particularly enjoyed his stuff at the golden globes, but he maybe struggles to carry it off for a whole hour

I turned it off after 20 mins.  Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, but he seems to have disappeared completely up his own arse.

I also enjoyed his previous two (or three?) stand-ups and his telly stuff.

He's not remotely like Stewart Lee for me, you can still be a quality comedian and not be one of the best/of a similar style.  He's never been near top-tier.

I only watched the first 20mins too, I meant similar in the style of, well the opposite of self deprecation, whatever that’s called. Although when Gervais blows his own trumpet it’s hard to believe he’s joking

Gervais is just parroting the opinions of every boring middle aged white bloke. And his offended shtick makes him look embarrassingly out of touch tbh. Merchant was the funny one.

In fact, Merchant had him bang to rights. “Weak observations, performed poorly” :lol: 

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

19 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I only watched the first 20mins too, I meant similar in the style of, well the opposite of self deprecation, whatever that’s called. Although when Gervais blows his own trumpet it’s hard to believe he’s joking

Self-aggrandisement?

Apart from The Office (I wasn't that fussed about Extras) I've only really found him funny in those little sketches he did for the 11 O'clock Show which was ages ago. They might not have stood the test of time either tbh

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Ah yeah, gotcha, and totally agree on both points.

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Merchant was the funny one.

Defo the far superior talent, the goggle-eyed freak!

Watched the first four episodes of Seven Seconds that's just came onto Netflix, excellent so far.

I watched a few episodes of Comdians in Cars earlier. Three of them, featuring Larry David, Lewis Black and Funkhouser. 

I really didn’t find the funny in them at all. Not the fault of the guests as Seinfeld offered no real opportunity to be funny and added nothing to the show itself.

Then again I’ve never found Seinfeld funny in anything he’s done (that one show).

36 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I watched a few episodes of Comdians in Cars earlier. Three of them, featuring Larry David, Lewis Black and Funkhouser. 

I really didn’t find the funny in them at all. Not the fault of the guests as Seinfeld offered no real opportunity to be funny and added nothing to the show itself.

Then again I’ve never found Seinfeld funny in anything he’s done (that one show).

I saw him live at the Manchester arena and he was shit. I literally didn't laugh once. I did love Seinfeld though, although I guess even then he was the straight man to George (not forgetting Kramer who was just ridiculous).

I don’t think I’ve ever given Seinfeld a proper go. Watched it a few times as a young teen but I don’t think it’s on repeat on UK TV?

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

I don’t think I’ve ever given Seinfeld a proper go. Watched it a few times as a young teen but I don’t think it’s on repeat on UK TV?

No idea, but reckon it's one of those things that have had their time. Revolutionary in the 90s but too much good stuff released since.