Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

Just been watching this. Really really interesting.

Gripping first-hand account by a former Guantanamo detainee that chronicles the rise of modern jihad, its descent into terror and the reaction of the west. Moazzam Begg, a Birmingham-raised British Pakistani, has experienced a generation of conflict. He has been a witness to the escalation of global radicalisation for the past two decades, from the Bosnian conflict to wars in Afghanistan and Syria.

The documentary captures his perspective on the escalation in tensions between the west and Islam - from his forced confession and testimony as a free man to his experience as a British Muslim and living the 'War on Terror'. Begg's story, intercut with news archive, raises important questions about how democracies respond to terrorism and how that response has impacted communities and individuals.

Anyone been watching Rick and Morty? High concept sci-fi animated comedy that's a lot better than I've just made it sound. Mint voice acting from the creator who voices the two main characters and he works with Dan Harmon to come up with some mad old shite. Well worth a go.

The dogs in robotic exoskeletons taking over the world are mint :lol:

The Fall S3 just finished. Six fucking hours of my life I will never get back again. Cant be arsed to work out how to use spoiler tags with a tablet but not sure I can spoil a series where FUCK ALL HAPPENS in SIX FUCKING HOURS! :angry:

To say the plot was glacial is an understatement. Glaciers actually move somewhere eventually. Utterly pointless sequel this, avoid.

Did all 6 Happy Valley's this week. Loved the first 5.  Really gripping believable stuff about petty criminals that get in over their heads.  Nothing sensational about them and each crime always seemed like a huge thing for each of the perpetrators to choose to do, usually with well explained motives and little other option for them once they made the decision to be part of it.  The last episode though...

...oh dear.  The "now it's personal" ending was infuriating after all the good work they put in.  Tommy was a horrible scary cunt with a background that made him such.  He'd done time for drug dealing but the ambiguity over the rape on Becky (had she come onto him?) was expertly handled so he was portrayed as an opportunist that would take these things too far, rather than going out of his way to rape random people.  The tenuous bridge from Catherine rescuing Ann to Tommy burning her grandson alive threw everything before out of the window in search of a sensationalised ending.  It was really disappointing.

5 stars all told mind.

just threw the pilot on

"just shoot them morty they're robots!"

:lol:

i'm sold

edit > just got to snuffles  and the legally safe version of an 80s horror ripoff :lol:

Started watching this off the back of these comments. Am hooked.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it on here but I've finally got round to properly watching Silicon Valley, I'd seen random episodes in the past and didn't think much of it but I thought it was class watching it properly from the start. They're only 30 minute episodes so I have blitzed through it the last couple of weeks and now I'm waiting on season 4 :lol: .

:lol: Aye I worried a lot of it would go right over my head and it would be a lot of insider type jokes relating to that industry, but they've done a good job at limiting that. I think T.J Miller and the lad who plays Jared do a good job at balancing the show out so that it's not overly tech related, I laughed when Jared pulled out SWOT analysis and mentioned he had other corporate tools hidden around the house, that mix of industry gives it a wider audience.

you'd be surprised how accurate that shit is tbh, swot analysis and the rooms of post it notes for agile urgh

I'm okay with Agile now as we use software to manage it but if we'd continued with post-its I think I'd have brought a flamethrower in and torched the board by now.

Silicon Valley gets the developer personalities pretty well as well.

They stopped trying to make me do the agile team name shite when I said during a scrum of scrums ours was

Team north Korea (to team America who were complaining about me locking down an environment)

Then team apathetic/disillusioned for a retro lol

There are litteral corridors of white boards in our place now, when I pointed out the waste/cost compared to using a virtual version they brought up the sense of accomplishment shite for the devs

We had a load of people over from head office a few weeks ago and we sketched out a plan/design which is critical to the bank on half a dozen white boards.

The project managers then published the official review of the plan and instead of translating it using proper ERM tools or Visio they'd just taken photos of the boards.

Best session we had was the one with all the PM cunts out of the room.

Just started Westworld, on episode 2. Not feeling it at all, anyone got any reasons to keep going?

What else is good drama? I can't be bothered to trawl though the thread but am looking for the less well known recommendations. Obviously heard and probably seen all the big new shows but I got the sense there were some nuggets knocking about which i hadn't seen. If you wouldn't mind :lol:

Edited by ChezGiven

Stranger things too but I guess you've seen it.

Happy Valley is also v good if you fancy a gritty English thriller/ drama.

Agreed so far on westworld. It's stylish but it hasn't hooked me in yet