Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

The Americans is continually excellent

We never got round to watching any more after season 1.  It was canny enough, but it's the lowest rated season on Metacritic and every one of the 4 seasons gets a better rating than the last.  Must get back to it.

We never got round to watching any more after season 1. It was canny enough, but it's the lowest rated season on Metacritic and every one of the 4 seasons gets a better rating than the last. Must get back to it.

Aye, the first is the weakest by a long shot but it sets a lot of things in place for the next 3 so it's worth getting through

The same thing happened to me with the wire. I endured the whole first season and it finally got good the last few episodes. I haven't got around to giving it another go since then, despite the hype and protestations from friends. I just found it hard work to sit through. Wasn't helped by the fact I couldn't understand a word that came out of any of the mumbling main characters' mouths.

Just finished Season 1 of The Man in the High Castle which is a bit of a slow burner but I really enjoyed it in the end. Started re-reading the book as well.

Have they changed much from the book?

Yes, quite a bit. Obviously they've taken the basic premise and they also have a lot of the main characters but it's certainly sufficiently different from the novel to make it worthwhile (if you've already read the book). I think it does some of the ambiguity of the novel quite well, which is pretty rare amongst the numerous adaptations of his works. Also, rather than being a novel, The Grasshopper Lies Heavy is a series of films showing an alternative history. I think it actually helps if you've read the book though. The feel of it, especially in the Pacific States is similar to the sort of post-modern take on film noir in Blade Runner. I actually thought that before I realised Ridley Scott was one of the executive producers. I think you'd like it.

Surprised Planet Earth hasn't been mentioned, that first episode was gripping stuff.

I saw the amazing lizard escape on Twitter so made my 3 year old watch the whole show.

All was going well until several baby lizards were caught and eaten by snakes, one eaten head first, before the bit that I had seen where one of them manages to outrun them.

Devastated! Floods of tears.  The wife giving me daggers.  All I could say was "that's the food chain son, you don't want the snakes to starve."