Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

Yeh he seemed to settle straight in which was amazing. I’d have been writing chords/structures down the lot and would still fuck up, the man was a pro :lol: 

You don’t tend to meet many musicians like that. 

I honestly don't understand people who don't like the Beetles. My brain can't compute it. Are they just being contrary, ignorant, or are they genuinely incapable of listening to music? IIirc Stevie used to say he didn't like them but at the same time his favourite band was Oasis! Go figure! 

1 minute ago, Tom said:

Yeh he seemed to settle straight in which was amazing. I’d have been writing chords/structures down the lot and would still fuck up, the man was a pro :lol: 

You don’t tend to meet many musicians like that. 

Class man. He's probably got a jazz background and this felt like two weeks holiday for him. 

I don't particularly like them. They're okay, nothing to dislike with a few great tunes but nothing mind blowing. And I listened to their 1 album in full so clearly I know what I'm talking about.

6 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I don't particularly like them. They're okay, nothing to dislike with a few great tunes but nothing mind blowing. And I listened to their 1 album in full so clearly I know what I'm talking about.

They're no Feargal Sharkey, sure they aren't. 

14 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Class man. He's probably got a jazz background and this felt like two weeks holiday for him. 

Aye it takes some bollocks to walk into a room with the most famous musicians on the planet and give it the big one none the less mind :lol: 

29 minutes ago, Tom said:

Aye it takes some bollocks to walk into a room with the most famous musicians on the planet and give it the big one none the less mind :lol: 

McCartney’s face lighting up as soon as he heard Preston start playing was class. He knew immediately that they’d found what they needed

• Thanks 1

Aye whether that’s how it happened or how Jackson constructed the narrative it doesn’t matter to me. 

It pretty much glued the entire project together.

1 hour ago, NJS said:

I recognise their contribution to music but in general can't stand them and never listen to their output. 

Given your musical taste in general I have to say this surprises me. I couldn't be bothered with the earlier boy band stuff (whilst recognising its huge significance at the time) but their latter stuff is pure genius and frequently beautiful. Arguably but understandibly a bit let down by the production values of the time. They are as close as you could objectively say are the greatest band of all time and almost certainly always will be. 

There are a lot of pop/rock bands who I'd group together with them like The Who and The Stones on to stuff like Fleetwood Mac and Springsteen who I think turn out half decent music that just does nothing for me.

Maybe it's just not enough guitar up front and centre that's the key for all of them for me. 

7 minutes ago, NJS said:

There are a lot of pop/rock bands who I'd group together with them like The Who and The Stones on to stuff like Fleetwood Mac and Springsteen who I think turn out half decent music that just does nothing for me.

Maybe it's just not enough guitar up front and centre that's the key for all of them for me. 

None of those are anywhere near as seminal as the Beatles though, none of them evolved like the Beatles did, and none were experimental like the Beatles were. I'm not that keen on any you mentioned and actively dislike the Stones who bore the shit out of me as much as Coldplay or U2. 

But fair enough, it's not like I listen to them that much myself nowadays, I'm just in awe of what they achieved musically. And the irony for me is that despite the fact the heart of their genius was the Lennon/McCartney combo, the tracks I still regularly listen to tend to be Harrison's. 

The Stones have always felt a little bit greatest hits to me, they could have done with breaking up or somebody (else) dying who was quite seminal to the group. 

2 hours ago, Renton said:

I honestly don't understand people who don't like the Beetles. My brain can't compute it. Are they just being contrary, ignorant, or are they genuinely incapable of listening to music? IIirc Stevie used to say he didn't like them but at the same time his favourite band was Oasis! Go figure! 

Tom, Vic, Bill, and Dave!!!

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20200423-how-the-fake-beatles-conned-south-america

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Tom said:

The Stones have always felt a little bit greatest hits to me, they could have done with breaking up or somebody (else) dying who was quite seminal to the group. 

RIP Mick Brigden's canine friend.

2 hours ago, Tom said:

They definitely should’ve thrown the towel in by the mid-70s at the latest. 

On 05/12/2021 at 11:06, Gemmill said:

Finished the Beatles thing today. Really enjoyed it. 

It's easy to scoff at McCartney now with his "far out" and "groovy" patter, but watching him in this thing, in his late 20s, the talent was absolutely dripping off him. Fucking ridiculous. 

Ringo seemed sound as fuck as well. 

I’ve only watched the first one so far but agree re: McCartney. It’s really fascinating watching the process of how they made their music. Also quite poignant when you know it’s basically the end of The Beatles but they definitely quit at the right time. 

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

I’ve only watched the first one so far but agree re: McCartney. It’s really fascinating watching the process of how they made their music. Also quite poignant when you know it’s basically the end of The Beatles but they definitely quit at the right time. 

They desperately needed a manager. McCartney clearly felt a cunt for just trying to give them some kind of direction. 

But aye, probably as well they finished when they did. I love Abbey Road mind, which I think came after Let It Be (?). 

Just now, Gemmill said:

They desperately needed a manager. McCartney clearly felt a cunt for just trying to give them some kind of direction. 

But aye, probably as well they finished when they did. I love Abbey Road mind, which I think came after Let It Be (?). 

Let It Be was their final studio album I think. I think it came out after they announced they’d split up. 

If you've enjoyed this Beatles thing btw, there's McCartney 3, 2, 1 which has just come out this year too. 

Basically McCartney, Rick Rubin and a mixing desk. I think it's six half hour episodes running back through Beatles tunes with Rubin quizzing him, isolating parts of the tunes, and McCartney telling stories. 

It's a canny watch. 

• Like 1