Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

55 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I loved Got My Mind Set On You btw. That was bang in my recording the charts off the radio heyday. 

My Sweet Lord was canny 

I agree about Yōko Ono. I think her being blamed for them splitting up is just lazy racism and misogyny. And I thought all the band came across as sound, especially when you consider their relative youth and fame etc. Also, whilst McCartney was somewhat reluctantly leading them and they missed Epstein, maybe it just worked the way it did for a reason. And the tensions and fatigue etc  meant that they packed in at the right time. I think they all liked and respected each other still, it was just time to end it. 

I know it hadn't happened by 1980 but it might have been interesting to see if they'd reunited deaths aside - considering the offers ABBA have had over the years it would have been frightening money wise. 

Yeah the money on offer would’ve been insane. Just look at the likes of Led Zep (who I think are class but don’t have the same universal appeal). 

i picked up on lennon's apathy during the twickenham sessions, but he seemed to be having fun by the time they moved to the apple studios. i had no idea he was smacked off his tits at the time - that explains a lot. 

The Twickenham rehearsals quickly disintegrated into what Apple Corps executive Peter Brown characterised as a "hostile lethargy".[17] Lennon and his partner Yoko Ono had descended into heroin addiction after their arrest on drugs charges in October and Ono's subsequent miscarriage.[18][19][20] Unable to supply his quota of new songs for the project, Lennon maintained an icy distance from his bandmates[21] and scorned McCartney's ideas

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Alex said:

they packed in at the right time

Definitely. 
When you look at the later careers of a lot of long lasting bands/artists, they’re fucking terrible ( Elton John, The Stones etc). 
I think one of the many reasons the Beatles have such a legacy is that they didn’t last long enough to churn out the turgid, bored stuff. 

32 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Definitely. 
When you look at the later careers of a lot of long lasting bands/artists, they’re fucking terrible ( Elton John, The Stones etc). 
I think one of the many reasons the Beatles have such a legacy is that they didn’t last long enough to churn out the turgid, bored stuff. 

Yet I really like Lennon's post-Beatles music, and some of Harrisons. McCartney, well, I did as a kid, not so much now. Also you'd have to say that their throughput during the years they were together was far greater than most other bands managed in a lifetime. 

Has anyone watched the All or Nothing on Amazon Prime about Spurs. It's pretty good. Captures the end of Poch and the arrival of Mourinho. 

It's mad how much access they got - in the room for contract talks, team talks, Harry Kane sounding for all the world like he's been deaf since birth when he gives his pre match pep talks.

Dele Ali being a completely weird helmet is the standout though. 

• Like 1

Dele Ali's physio room patter. 

"Right, top three chocolate bars."

:lol:

"When you brush your teef, do you put the toothpaste on then water, or water then toothpaste" 

The fucking look he gives the physio who says he puts water on first then the toothpaste. 

"What and you don't put water on again after? Seriously? *looks at him like he's just said he fucks his kids*"

Watching the Man City one of these All or Nothing things now. 

Vincent Kompany talking to a bunch of schoolkids... 

"We're gonna talk today about a man called Nelson Mandela who was put in prison for a long time for a crime he didn't commit."

Schoolkid: "what was his crime?" 

Kompany: "his crime was being black."

I mean they've got him bang to rights there Vincent. :lol:

Edited by Gemmill
  • Haha 2

Watching the Man City one of these All or Nothing things now. 

Frank Carson talking to a bunch of schoolkids... 

"We're gonna talk today about a man who was put in prison for a long time for a crime he didn't commit."

Schoolkid: "what was his crime?" 

Carson: "his crime was selling shit Japanese cars. His name was Nissan Main-Dealer.

pg-22-carson-rex.jpg

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

:lol: I couldn't believe when they put that in. I'm all for telling kids the right things in school but Kompany had a touch of the Garth Crooks (not like that) about him there. Telling a bunch of kids that with an almost parodical straight face.

Amazing man. For the most part it's canny polished, even to the point of being an advert for the club, but this was a beauty. 

I can't recommend the Robbie Savage Macclesfield Town thing enough just for the bit where Savage is in the office mugging to camera. If it had pre-dated The Office, you'd have accused Gervais of nicking it almost scene for scene. 

• Haha 3

It's worth it man. He's such a cunt. Wading into the crowd when the fans are scrapping, barking orders to the Assistant Manager during a match (as DoF, he has no fucking right), interrupting an interview with the (clearly not the full shilling) groundsman because he has the nerve to suggest Savage is overstepping the mark by telling the Assistant Manager what to do. 

It's an absolute clinic in being a fucking bellend. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

It's worth it man. He's such a cunt. Wading into the crowd when the fans are scrapping, barking orders to the Assistant Manager during a match (as DoF, he has no fucking right), interrupting an interview with the (clearly not the full shilling) groundsman because he has the nerve to suggest Savage is overstepping the mark by telling the Assistant Manager what to do. 

It's an absolute clinic in being a fucking bellend. 

The learning disabled grounds man had him bang to rights too :lol:  

"you pay him to do a job so let him do it"