Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

17 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

Pretty sure my missus put on The Watcher last night. Passed me by entirely, looked like some generic haunted house pish from what little of it I caught. 

Saw someone on Twitter state "The Watcher is like Scooby Doo for adults and only that because there is some mild shagging in it"

Alex Winter’s* Zappa documentary is on bbc iplayer at the moment. 

Obviously I’m fairly biased as a fan of his, but it’s pretty good as music documentaries go. 

It’s not out to convert anyone- the pieces of his that are used tend to be some of his more “out there” stuff, and it doesn’t pretend that he was some blissed out love freak- if anything, he comes across as a very single-minded, not particularly likeable bloke… a bit of a cunt, really :lol:

But it’s absolutely honest, and does a great job of showing the changes, and constants, in his career over his lifetime. 
Using “Watermelon in Easter Hay” for the end credits was a lovely touch by the director- it was written by Zappa for his son, Dweezil, and he considered it to be his best and favourite guitar piece. 
It’s also the last guitar solo that the protagonist of the albums it’s from, Joe’s Garage, gets to play, so was a particularly good choice to wrap up with.

( Zappa requested that no one play it live after he died until Dweezil had, which took him until 2013 to perfect it, and be able to play it without breaking down. The first time he did was in London and it was filmed here.)

* yes, that Alex Winter, from Bill and Ted 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Alex Winter’s* Zappa documentary is on bbc iplayer at the moment. 

Obviously I’m fairly biased as a fan of his, but it’s pretty good as music documentaries go. 

It’s not out to convert anyone- the pieces of his that are used tend to be some of his more “out there” stuff, and it doesn’t pretend that he was some blissed out love freak- if anything, he comes across as a very single-minded, not particularly likeable bloke… a bit of a cunt, really :lol:

But it’s absolutely honest, and does a great job of showing the changes, and constants, in his career over his lifetime. 
Using “Watermelon in Easter Hay” for the end credits was a lovely touch by the director- it was written by Zappa for his newborn son, Dweezil, and he considered it to be his best and favourite guitar piece. 
It’s also the last guitar solo that the protagonist of the albums it’s from, Joe’s Garage, gets to play, so was a particularly good choice to wrap up with.

( Zappa requested that no one play it live after he died until Dweezil had, which took him until 2013 to perfect it, and be able to play it without breaking down. The first time he did was in London and it was filmed here.)

* yes, that Alex Winter, from Bill and Ted 

I'll probably give that a watch tbh. Love both  Zappa and the Bill and Ted films, but for now I'm away to bed trying to remember whether Alex Winter was Bill or Ted. 

I'll probably end up separated or divorced tomorrow after muttering "Esquire" and "Theodore" in my sleep.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Guaranteed ewerk has humped a dead body. Zero doubt in my mind. 

I can’t believe we all had this conversation and no one asked ewerk if his “lass” had a stiff upper lip? 

• Haha 1

SAS rogue warriors. I've watched the first three episodes of this and I really want to like it having seen the documentary on the book its based on a few years ago which itself had interviews with some of the original men including Stirling from an earlier set of interviews from the 80s. The documentary and interviews were fascinating. I'm finding the dramatised series hard to persevere with as I'd imagine the original members interviewed would be scratching their heads at it, if there's one thing they don't need is to be is 'sexed up'. It would be hard to fuck up their story but although it isn't terrible it should be much better. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Howmanheyman said:

SAS rogue warriors. I've watched the first three episodes of this and I really want to like it having seen the documentary on the book its based on a few years ago which itself had interviews with some of the original men including Stirling from an earlier set of interviews from the 80s. The documentary and interviews were fascinating. I'm finding the dramatised series hard to persevere with as I'd imagine the original members interviewed would be scratching their heads at it, if there's one thing they don't need is to be is 'sexed up'. It would be hard to fuck up their story but although it isn't terrible it should be much better. 

I was going to watch this, but I had the same thought- “ don’t fanny on with it, you don’t have to” 

Cheers for the heads up 👍

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I was going to watch this, but I had the same thought- “ don’t fanny on with it, you don’t have to” 

Cheers for the heads up 👍

It isn't terrible but so far, could be better, over-dramatising something that doesn't need it and making the men something they probably weren't. (What they were was more than enough).

7 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

If you fancy a good read give Killing Rommel by Stephen Pressfield a go, it's a novel/fiction but factually brilliant in terms of the LRDG (SAS) and how they operated.

Pressfield's Gates of Fire is a tremendous read as well, about Thermopylae, it's the book they should have made into a film instead of 300 IMO.