Photos from the North East

trophyshy

Chomp chomp chomp chomp,

And none of them are artists impressions, they are all very real and actually they're good pictures. But because they go over your arrogant tosser like minds, they don't register like much, honestly. Sunderland isn't a shithole, and actually they're smashing areas.

Fucking bunch of tossers.

:):D

I say that, yet it looks like I've caught the bait...

Seriously though, they are good photos, and are brilliant aspects of Sunderland. If I done similar things to the other photos of tyneside in this thread, then I would be shot down in flames.

Edited by KingHarkinian

Chomp chomp chomp chomp,

And none of them are artists impressions, they are all very real and actually they're good pictures. But because they go over your arrogant tosser like minds, they don't register like much, honestly. Sunderland isn't a shithole, and actually they're smashing areas.

:D:razz:

Seriously though, they are good photos, and are brilliant aspects of Sunderland. If I done similar things to the other photos of tyneside in this thread, then I would be shot down in flames.

:)

1) not really like, they're average pics at best.

The first and third are just different shots of the same square. A park, a small version of the Tyne Bridge, a folly in Washington,some paddles, and a cafe /art centre (located very close to the two shots of the square).

2) course you would you tit- its an Nufc board & you are a mackem

Edited by Monkeys Fist

Harkinian, seriously the things that are in the photos aren't that impressive.

sunderland isn't beautiful.

That might burn a hole in your head but it's just true.

Chomp chomp chomp chomp,

:):(

:)

1) not really like, they're average pics at best.

The first and third are just different shots of the same square. A park, a small version of the Tyne Bridge, a folly in Washington,some paddles, and a cafe /art centre (located very close to the two shots of the square).

2) course you would you tit- its an Nufc board & you are a mackem

you like numbered lists do you? I'll strike back with bullet points :D

• The first and third pics are of the same area well done, but the items potrayed on both photos are of different directions so couldn't possibly be potrayed in the same one unless I had a panaroma (which I don't). Despite being a "small version of the tyne bridge" the wearmouth bridge was here first for a matter of fact and was built in two phases first in 1796, about 125 years before the tyne bridge, and then reconstructed in 1927 before the tyne bridge was built. A folly in washington? None of those pictures are in Washington. For "A park" it's still quite attractive and got same scenery, being voted the Best in britain in 2008. A cafe and art centre maybe, but of a slightly iconic and very attractive design, and yes it is in the same area as the 3rd and 1st shots but so what? Sunniside has undergone outstanding regeneration since 2007 and has attracted two national urban regeneration and landscaping awards from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors. Considering what it was prior to all this it is certainly an improvement, added to the fact that despite a recession, 47 new businesses opened there in the 2009/2010 period. Some paddles? That's just one sculpture in a quality marina.

• Just because I am a "mackem" on a nufc board does not make my view any less valid or considerate to yours, that also does not automatically mean sunderland should be treated like shit. I tried to be considerate to the whole region and all you can seem to do is take the piss. Yes I rate sunderland and you have a clear problem to that, but overall I still do rate Newcastle higher, and Durham higher still. At the end of the day why let a football rivalry or general bitterness twist your opinions on certain subjects? You are clearly the tit for that comment, not me. Being a NUFC board means you're always going to be slanted to NUFC stuff of course, but this is not really football is it? Why not enjoy support and hope for the success of this wonderful region as a hole rather than putting bits of it down? You should really praise regeneration successes in sunderland (such as the regeneration in sunniside) just as much as Newcastle. It's annoying that you can't see past your football black and white tinted glasses and take an eccentric and more open view at things. I don't take the bad perspectives of Newcastle (many which are similar aspects to Sunderland's), and use them to put down the entire place as a whole. As some clearly enjoy doing here with Sunderland.

One Northeast it should always be! :panic::razz:

Edited by KingHarkinian

sunderland isn't beautiful

If anything that is your own slanted opinion rather than fact, it is the same with what the things I say of course, but it means nothing more. The same goes for Alex's opinion above.

Edited by KingHarkinian

If anything that is your own slanted opinion rather than fact, it is the same with what the things I say of course, but it means nothing more. The same goes for Alex's opinion above.

My opinion on Sunderland is based on having seen the place. I formed the opinion on the photos on a similar basis :)

My opinion on Sunderland is based on having seen the place. I formed the opinion on the photos on a similar basis :)

Well how comes I live and see the place, yet my opinion is also different to yours? I personally don't think its half as bad as people make out, though when you use and live around Newcastle city centre on a regular basis, you're going to be used to a higher standard and hence you're automatically going to look at Sunderland on a lower perspective, aren't you?

It's quite clear that Newcastle city centre pisses on Sunderland's sadly enough, but that doesn't mean Sunderland should be put down altogether. Newcastle is ahead because it has held city status for centuries, gaining far more influence, fame, infastructure and advantage.

Newcastle didn't undergo the industrial decline on the scale Sunderland did, and any industrial decline it did have was soothed faster because of it's city status and higher profile allowing larger scale investment. Sunderland on the other hand was a town and it pretty much lost everything, city status was gained in 1992 to help combat the problems created, and since then there's no doubt it has made a huge deal of improvement to heal the damage inflicted by the loss of it's former industry. Again most Newcastle people don't realize that, and I don't put them down for saying that simply because they've been use to higher standards, this is where the "shithole" tag sadly comes from. A classical city is always going to have a slight advantage over the post-industrial former town isn't it? Though still I don't want the place to be put down altogether, what it was originally like in the 1990's far, far worse than currently. Sadly I think the opinions of what it previously has been like still exist because of the inveitable lack of interest in the place by the Newcastle people, again I don't blame them by saying that, there is no reason for them to come to sunderland other than for football currently. But hopefully in the future years, more development will see that change.

Things like the Sunniside developments have been a massive step forward for the area, you laughed at them in here but actually the area is very attractive, very modern and very pleasant. It's attracting a lot of new businesses which is boosting the local economy quickly, and it's becoming a nice area to visit aswell. Sunderland in its own terms has progressed very well in the past couple of decades, of course against Newcastle which has blatant historical and economical advantages, it obviously isn't going to look like much for now. That's as fair as I can put it really. Rome wasn't built in a day, so the transformation of a post industrial town to a "proper city" is going to take time.

It isn't the nicest place in the country no, but its no shithole tbh.

Edited by KingHarkinian

Well how comes I live and see the place, yet my opinion is also different to yours?

Local bias?

I have never lived in Newcastle and I've seen many many other cities and towns across the country and I've seen some real fucking dives. sunderland isn't the shittiest hole in the country, but it's just not beautiful. The pictures you've posted are proof of that. They're mundane... I don't doubt on the right day, in the right light and if you tilt your head, just so, there are some pretty places South of the Tyne and North of the Humber, you just did very badly with your choices.

Well how comes I live and see the place, yet my opinion is also different to yours?

Local bias?

I have never lived in Newcastle and I've seen many many other cities and towns across the country and I've seen some real fucking dives. sunderland isn't the shittiest hole in the country, but it's just not beautiful. The pictures you've posted are proof of that. They're mundane... I don't doubt on the right day, in the right light and if you tilt your head, just so, there are some pretty places South of the Tyne and North of the Humber, you just did very badly with your choices.

That's fair enough tbh.

you like numbered lists do you? I'll strike back with bullet points :)
  • The first and third pics are of the same area well done, but the items potrayed on both photos are of different directions so couldn't possibly be potrayed in the same one unless I had a panaroma (which I don't). Despite being a "small version of the tyne bridge" the wearmouth bridge was here first for a matter of fact and was built in two phases first in 1796, about 125 years before the tyne bridge, and then reconstructed in 1927 before the tyne bridge was built. A folly in washington? None of those pictures are in Washington. For "A park" it's still quite attractive and got same scenery, being voted the Best in britain in 2008. A cafe and art centre maybe, but of a slightly iconic and very attractive design, and yes it is in the same area as the 3rd and 1st shots but so what? Sunniside has undergone outstanding regeneration since 2007 and has attracted two national urban regeneration and landscaping awards from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors. Considering what it was prior to all this it is certainly an improvement, added to the fact that despite a recession, 47 new businesses opened there in the 2009/2010 period. Some paddles? That's just one sculpture in a quality marina.

• Just because I am a "mackem" on a nufc board does not make my view any less valid or considerate to yours, that also does not automatically mean sunderland should be treated like shit. I tried to be considerate to the whole region and all you can seem to do is take the piss. Yes I rate sunderland and you have a clear problem to that, but overall I still do rate Newcastle higher, and Durham higher still. At the end of the day why let a football rivalry or general bitterness twist your opinions on certain subjects? You are clearly the tit for that comment, not me. Being a NUFC board means you're always going to be slanted to NUFC stuff of course, but this is not really football is it? Why not enjoy support and hope for the success of this wonderful region as a hole rather than putting bits of it down? You should really praise regeneration successes in sunderland (such as the regeneration in sunniside) just as much as Newcastle. It's annoying that you can't see past your football black and white tinted glasses and take an eccentric and more open view at things. I don't take the bad perspectives of Newcastle (many which are similar aspects to Sunderland's), and use them to put down the entire place as a whole. As some clearly enjoy doing here with Sunderland.

One Northeast it should always be! :razz::D

Penshaw Monument-Washington......

I used to work on Hind street in the early 90s. Every day i had to walk through the town centre- it was an absolute dump, to put it mildly.

My current work takes me into sunderland on a fairly regular basis, as well as travelling into and working on buildings on a nationwide basis.

The regeneration in the Sunniside area around the pictured square is to be commended, but its a very small area when compared to the town centre as a whole.The whole town centre needs knocking flat and rebuilding( with the exception of some of the older Victorian Buildings on Fawcett St and John St.)

The "Landmark " buildings ,like the Echo Building(the new high rise beside the wee tyne bridge in pics for those not aware) are really pretty average.

I say that , not as a Geordie seeking to put the mackems down, but as someone with a professional and personal interest in innovative architechture.

The National Glass Centre is a feckin embarrassment- missed a huge opportunity there mackem city council.

If the proposed high rise tower gets the go ahead, I sincerley hope the council look at such examples as the Beetham Towers in Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester.

when it comes to high rise towers , its the easiest thing in the world to make a monstrosity, harder to make a building people can admire.

If you want to convince anyone on here about any merits of your wee backwoods outpost, you should be flagging up places like The Elephant Tea rooms, Corder House etc.

The pics you have posted are really average. Take some better ones then come back and argue

Edited by Monkeys Fist

One Northeast it should always be! :lol::panic:

I used to work on Hind street in the early 90s. Every day i had to walk through the town centre- it was an absolute dump, to put it mildly.

My current work takes me into sunderland on a fairly regular basis, as well as travelling into and working on buildings on a nationwide basis.

The regeneration in the Sunniside area around the pictured square is to be commended, but its a very small area when compared to the town centre as a whole.The whole town centre needs knocking flat and rebuilding( with the exception of some of the older Victorian Buildings on Fawcett St and John St.)

The "Landmark " buildings ,like the Echo Building(the new high rise beside the wee tyne bridge in pics for those not aware) are really pretty average.

I say that , not as a Geordie seeking to put the mackems down, but as someone with a professional and personal interest in innovative architechture.

The National Glass Centre is a feckin embarrassment- missed a huge opportunity there mackem city council.

If the proposed high rise tower gets the go ahead, I sincerley hope the council look at such examples as the Beetham Towers in Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester.

when it comes to high rise towers , its the easiest thing in the world to make a monstrosity, harder to make a building people can admire.

If you want to convince anyone on here about any merits of your wee backwoods outpost, you should be flagging up places like The Elephant Tea rooms, Corder House etc.

The pics you have posted are really average. Take some better ones then come back and argue

I didn't take one of those photos :):D:razz: . I have a good resolution digital camera aswell, I might do just that :(

As for the proposed high rise tower, it is thornfield properties that are behind the design and not the council. A £180 million contract was signed between the two parties in july, for the tower in particular and for the regeneration of the whole Holmeside area (which to be fair is a derelict dump).

Here is a concept model for it.

HD.jpg

Edited by KingHarkinian

One Northeast it should always be! :lol::panic:

I didn't take one of those photos :):D:razz: . I have a good resolution digital camera aswell, I might do just that :(

well feck off and get busy then :lol:

Sunderland really isn't anything special. Your typical grotty northern town with the occasional bit of semi-decent modern architecture thrown in. It's bipolar as fuck.

That's not to say Sunderland doesn't have it's nice parts, they're just not that groundbreaking.

Despite being a "small version of the tyne bridge" the wearmouth bridge was here first for a matter of fact and was built in two phases first in 1796, about 125 years before the tyne bridge, and then reconstructed in 1927 before the tyne bridge was built.

DC0DD75B-DF8C-E592-2397BE3877500641.jpg

circa 1972

burj-dubai-worlds-tallest-building.jpg

tbh

Construction on Wearmouth Bridge began 1927, opened 1929.

Construction on Tyne Bridge began 1925, opened 1928.

The first bridge at Wearmouth was built 1796, replacing a ferry. Prior to this the only bridge was at Chester le Street.

The first bridge at Newcastle was built pre- Roman, with a bridge at the site constantly since then.

Just a few facts to help you out King Harpingonabootadump.

Well how comes I live and see the place, yet my opinion is also different to yours? I personally don't think its half as bad as people make out, though when you use and live around Newcastle city centre on a regular basis, you're going to be used to a higher standard and hence you're automatically going to look at Sunderland on a lower perspective, aren't you?

It's quite clear that Newcastle city centre pisses on Sunderland's sadly enough, but that doesn't mean Sunderland should be put down altogether. Newcastle is ahead because it has held city status for centuries, gaining far more influence, fame, infastructure and advantage.

Newcastle didn't undergo the industrial decline on the scale Sunderland did, and any industrial decline it did have was soothed faster because of it's city status and higher profile allowing larger scale investment. Sunderland on the other hand was a town and it pretty much lost everything, city status was gained in 1992 to help combat the problems created, and since then there's no doubt it has made a huge deal of improvement to heal the damage inflicted by the loss of it's former industry. Again most Newcastle people don't realize that, and I don't put them down for saying that simply because they've been use to higher standards, this is where the "shithole" tag sadly comes from. A classical city is always going to have a slight advantage over the post-industrial former town isn't it? Though still I don't want the place to be put down altogether, what it was originally like in the 1990's far, far worse than currently. Sadly I think the opinions of what it previously has been like still exist because of the inveitable lack of interest in the place by the Newcastle people, again I don't blame them by saying that, there is no reason for them to come to sunderland other than for football currently. But hopefully in the future years, more development will see that change.

Things like the Sunniside developments have been a massive step forward for the area, you laughed at them in here but actually the area is very attractive, very modern and very pleasant. It's attracting a lot of new businesses which is boosting the local economy quickly, and it's becoming a nice area to visit aswell. Sunderland in its own terms has progressed very well in the past couple of decades, of course against Newcastle which has blatant historical and economical advantages, it obviously isn't going to look like much for now. That's as fair as I can put it really. Rome wasn't built in a day, so the transformation of a post industrial town to a "proper city" is going to take time.

It isn't the nicest place in the country no, but its no shithole tbh.

Bit funny like as I hadn't actually said anything other than the bit you quoted about Sunderland. Talk about an inferiority complex. I've never really had much to do with the place but it doesn't do a lot for me aesthetically tbh.

The first bridge at Wearmouth was built 1796, replacing a ferry. Prior to this the only bridge was at Chester le Street.

The first bridge at Newcastle was built pre- Roman, with a bridge at the site constantly since then.

:):D:razz:

Anyway I admire both bridges even if the wear bridge is a like a younger brother to the tyne one.

http://www.this-is-sunderland.co.uk/ I've found this, possibly the best sunderland photography site on the web. Unable to post any of the pics directly on here due to the pics being displayed via flash player.

Edited by KingHarkinian

:D:razz::)

Anyway I admire both bridges even if the wear bridge is a like a younger brother to the tyne one.

http://www.this-is-sunderland.co.uk/ I've found this, possibly the best sunderland photography site on the web. Unable to post any of the pics directly on here due to the pics being displayed via flash player.

Go to the section " The Interzone"

2nd picture -sums it up :)

Seriously, If I knew nothing about sunderland, looking at that site I would come away with the impression that it was nowt but derelict buildings and bleak industrial decay.

As I do know the place , I'd have to agree with your description(bolded).Sums the place up perfectly :(

http://www.roscophotographic.com/gallery_8669.html

My friend's a self-taught photographer, worth a look at his "North of England" stuff.

Some amazing shots there Fish.

2 Doors Down

Old Longboat

Dunstanburgh Castle

Moonlight

..... stand out particularly for me.

(take note King Harkiblahblahblah)