Photos from the North East

trophyshy

Construction on Wearmouth Bridge began 1927, opened 1929.

Construction on Tyne Bridge began 1925, opened 1928.

The first bridge at Wearmouth was built 1796, replacing a ferry. Prior to this the only bridge was at Chester le Street.

The first bridge at Newcastle was built pre- Roman, with a bridge at the site constantly since then.

Just a few facts to help you out King Harpingonabootadump.

:D:razz::)

Anyway I admire both bridges even if the wear bridge is a like a younger brother to the tyne one.

http://www.this-is-sunderland.co.uk/ I've found this, possibly the best sunderland photography site on the web. Unable to post any of the pics directly on here due to the pics being displayed via flash player.

Go to the section " The Interzone"

2nd picture -sums it up :)

Seriously, If I knew nothing about sunderland, looking at that site I would come away with the impression that it was nowt but derelict buildings and bleak industrial decay.

As I do know the place , I'd have to agree with your description(bolded).Sums the place up perfectly :lol:

:(:panic::lol:

The first bridge at Wearmouth was built 1796, replacing a ferry. Prior to this the only bridge was at Chester le Street.

The first bridge at Newcastle was built pre- Roman, with a bridge at the site constantly since then.

Anyway I admire both bridges even if the wear bridge is a like a younger brother to the tyne one.

http://www.this-is-sunderland.co.uk/ I've found this, possibly the best sunderland photography site on the web. Unable to post any of the pics directly on here due to the pics being displayed via flash player.

Seriously, If I knew nothing about sunderland, looking at that site I would come away with the impression that it was nowt but derelict buildings and bleak industrial decay.

As I do know the place , I'd have to agree with your description(bolded).Sums the place up perfectly :lol:

I used to work in Sunderland and it's not nice saying somewhere that people have to live is a shithole, but that's what it is.

Mossside, Toxteth, The Heartlands, Bermondsey, The Gorbals, Leith, Hackney and Manningham are all places I'd rather live than Sunderland.

Edited by Stevie

I used to work in Sunderland and it's not nice saying somewhere that people have to live is a shithole, but that's what it is.

Mossside, Toxteth, The Heartlands, Bermondsey, The Gorbals, Leith, Hackney and Manningham are all places I'd rather live than Sunderland.

I am truly stunned :lol: :lol:

I lived there too. It wasn't so much the place, although it is grim, it was the near constant abuse my wife, myself and my car received from fellow residents. The atmosphere was foreboding, the portent of trouble readily displayed by very young mothers pushing their prams around the town, tab dangling, tracksuit stained, screaming at the hapless infant to 'fucken shurrup man!'. Drop that into any of those snaps and whatever beauty imaginatively captured therein is exposed as abject fantasy.

The botanic gardens are quite nice as they make you feel you are somewhere else. Saying that though, they could convert the whole city into a delightful mixture of Venice, Perth, Nice etc and you'd still have gangs of neckenders spitting on you because you dare to not dress and act like an inbred thug.

When I was there the council were proposing to have 'quarters' in the city, one for arts, one for nightlife and one quarter as a 'Cafe Culture'. Can you imagine, sitting outside enjoying your latte, in Sunderland? 'Whets he think heez deein like? Fucken coffee, owt on the street. fucken az gan get me cock out awar there, how Bezza, gan shit in an Echo and put it on the cheble la, that'll fucken learn the fancy cunt''.

etc

The mackem mentions Newcastle arrogance, it's almost impossible not to be when thinking about that city and those "pea-pul".

Trophyshy paints a brilliant picture of the place, I just think horrible people and horrible town. The lasses in Sunderland are horrible, thick, orange cunts, and what a generalisation that is, but go there honestly go there for a week and you'd think Stevie was right. I've never been anywhere like Sunderland where you can pass 50 people in the street, and 48 will have a tab in their mouth but that's Sunderland. It's just full of bitter horrible tramps. If they weren't so effected by Newcastle then maybe they could concentrate on bettering themselves, but everything about the place, and particularly the people are reflective of the worst parts of modern Britain. We live in a different world in Newcastle, an actual different world. The people are so much nicer in Newcastle. I was getting the metro back to Newcastle from Powaak Layun metro station, and got talking to this jock comedian. He said he'd played the Sunderland Empire the night before, and he said they are nothing like you lot at all, of course I agreed, then he said there's a triangle of great cities with great people, Belfast, The Toon and Glasgow, that's where I stopped agreeing.

Mrs. Fist works in sunderland. She's a bit of a hippy type, always willing to see best in people.

I warned her that she would find the mackems in general a blight on humanity, but she wouldn't have it. Thought I was blinkered due to the football rivalry etc.

Within a fortnight of her starting her job, she was calling them sub-human Neanderthals and said she had never come across an entire town without a single redeeming feature.

Mrs. Fist works in sunderland. She's a bit of a hippy type, always willing to see best in people.

I warned her that she would find the mackems in general a blight on humanity, but she wouldn't have it. Thought I was blinkered due to the football rivalry etc.

Within a fortnight of her starting her job, she was calling them sub-human Neanderthals and said she had never come across an entire town without a single redeeming feature.

Mrs Fist is right. I NEVER say I'm from the North East when I'm down South, I say I'm from Newcastle. I'm not proud of the North East, I'm proud of Newcastle. The old county of Northumberland redeems everything South of the Tyne, but I'm embarrassed to share the same geographical area as those people in that town which is all it is.

Mrs Fist is right. I NEVER say I'm from the North East when I'm down South, I say I'm from Newcastle. I'm not proud of the North East, I'm proud of Newcastle. The old county of Northumberland redeems everything South of the Tyne, but I'm embarrassed to share the same geographical area as those people in that town which is all it is.

Amen to that

The Reverend Stevie speaks righteous truth

:)

• 5 months later...
Cheers Snakey. Although a lot of Teesside is a bleak, ugly place I find something strangely attractive about industrial landscapes at night.

Did Ridley Scott draw some inspiration from it for Blade Runner?

Cheers Snakey. Although a lot of Teesside is a bleak, ugly place I find something strangely attractive about industrial landscapes at night.

Did Ridley Scott draw some inspiration from it for Blade Runner?

Yes, the opening scenes are inspired by ICI etc. at Teeside, apparently.

• 2 weeks later...