Championship Side...

Deano

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well for a left back you could do worse than Dean Lewington from MK dons - solid as a rock and a really cultured left foot

I'd like us to try and nick joe mattock from leicester, young, pretty well rated and english

Edited by Andrew

Well for a left back you could do worse than Dean Lewington from MK dons - solid as a rock and a really cultured left foot

I'd like us to try and nick joe mattock from leicester, young, pretty well rated and english

Never seen the lad - have seen lewington and he is consistently their standout player - i think he would come to us aswell

Never seen the lad - have seen lewington and he is consistently their standout player - i think he would come to us aswell

seen mattock once or twice as well as hearing good things mostly, never seen lewington so can't comment my main knowledge as far as championship players goes is centred around burnley but they might be heading the other way tomorrow so we wouldn't get any of theirs, if not we could do worse than to try for several burnley always struggle to hold onto their better assests due to it being such a small place

It would be a damning idictment of the club if he wouldn't.

Mattock is a decent player, pretty strong technically and knows when to get forward - but he's nowhere near the finished product, and his defensive positioning can sometimes be suspect (just watch the penalty he conceeded against Hereford). He's got bags of potential, but is no more than an average championship player at this point, and spending the £3m+ it would take to sign him would be a big gamble on youth when there is a lot of more ready-made talent in this league for that money. Our best defender by a mile is Tunchev, but he did his cruciate against Palace in the cup.

Edited by ImpossiblyDaft

You put a comma after pretty then had to edit, didnt you?

I will come at this from 2 angles. We are the biggest draw in the Champioinship without a doubt. Any player who cannot attain to Premiership standard or is looking for a club on a free could be tempted to join us in a hope to spring back up and get premiership status again. The only flip side of that is the like of Leeds/Sheff Wed should have done the same as that and it really hasnt worked out. The benefit we have over the likes of Leeds is that it looks like we might be able to afford players therefore being an attractive prospect.

You put a comma after pretty then had to edit, didnt you?

I was going to make a joke then but looked at a pic and realised he looks a bit of a gimp :lol:

I actually put youngish then realised hes 19

I've got to admit I'm worried we're going to be stuck with this spineless lot...

He had players in the comfort zone who knew they would be taking home their hefty salaries even if relegated. There are no penalties for going down, no wage cuts. These players will still be driving their Lamborghinis in the Championship.

If Newcastle want to get rid of them, they will have to be paid off. How galling is that?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport...ewcastle-0.html

Surely it is standard fare to write a relegation clause into any footballing contract. Just about all the contracts of note* were signed before Mr 'Due Dilligence' strolled into town. If that's not the case for us it's a bloody travesty.

* - Eg. High volume of notes.

I'll be disappointed when Enrique leaves, possibly when Bassong does as well. Bassong though was too highly valued by many here, he was still what I would consider a raw talent - gave away some horrible fouls and got away with numerous grabs/shirt/arm tugs that should have resulted in penalties.

I'll be disappointed when Enrique leaves, possibly when Bassong does as well. Bassong though was too highly valued by many here, he was still what I would consider a raw talent - gave away some horrible fouls and got away with numerous grabs/shirt/arm tugs that should have resulted in penalties.

I think we just appreciated that he did the basics well as he's the only one.

Yeah, I definitely liked having him in the team and I'd keep him around for next season, don't get me wrong - but when you're playing next to Coloccini it's pretty easy to look like the quickest, strongest, best tackling defender in the land.

The hype surrounding him doesn't help at all. When he came here he was talking about doing his best to try and crack it into the first team, now it seems he's reset his sights in line with the beat up media stories suggesting the likes of Arsenal are after him. Hopefully not N'Zogbia the second in that respect.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCC

CCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

KKKKKers

Edited by khay

Surely it is standard fare to write a relegation clause into any footballing contract. Just about all the contracts of note* were signed before Mr 'Due Dilligence' strolled into town. If that's not the case for us it's a bloody travesty.

* - Eg. High volume of notes.

The thing is though they weren't. Although the spin by the board try to let you know different. They harp on about the financial mismanagement of the previous board and how high the wage bill is that they inherited, even though they are the ones who let Allardyce sign Smith, Barton, Geremi & Viduka.

It'll be hard to tell what happens with the squad. We don't even know who our manager will be (or our owner?).

The main thing will be to get rid of the people who were so uncommitted to the cause, that it became an embaressment. I think .com are going to do a name and shame, but the likes of Smith, Viduka, Owen, Nacho, Barton, Nolan, Raylor, Cacapa, etc need to be fucked out of the club. I'd love to show them all how much they've made out of getting this club relegated, whilst the likes of Smith will waddle off on a free transfer to Blackburn/Bolton for a big signing on fee and another £50k per week.

Some of the above just weren't good enough-the likes of Cacapa, Raylor, Nolan, Geremi-that's something that has to lie at the door of the managers who bought them. Did Cacapa and Geremi really warrant 2year+ contracts at their age?

Many of the current lot-like Martins and Collocini will probably just head off to their previous leagues for a similar figure that they were initially signed for, but what we'll be left with will be the dross, like Shola and Kinnears two signings who are nowhere near good enough, and will probably strugle at Championship level.

Will Shearer be able to recognise which players can do a job at that level/or be good enough for the PL in the future? Will he even want the job? Part of me thinks we may be better off trying to get Steve Coppel in. Someone who knows the league and can prove he can get teams promoted.

I would start looking about the SPL for a few bargains. Aye many rip the piss on here but some of the players whose names have been banded about as of late went from the SPL to the Championship for peanuts such as Ross McCormack, Jason Scotland and Ricardo Fuller.

Do we even have scouts at the club? If we have no manager, are there just random scouts on our payroll looking for players our next manager might not want.

If so, who employed them? Kinnear? KK? Sam?

Sol Campbell is out of contract. Could he do a job at Championship level? Big, experienced, knows Al from their England days.

He'll still get a decent payday somewhere. In January he was linked with La Liga sides was he not?

I think he'll prefer the Spanish beaches rather than Blackpool beach tbh..

if shearer stays, i can see us pulling in some decent championship-standard players.

the trick is to get in a couple of experienced old heads in and surround them with some pacy, younger players. sol campbell is a good shout. him and taylor at the back would do a job.

nicky butt can probably mix it in the championship. someone like paul merson or teddy sheringham up front too - they were both different class when they helped take pompey up.

Here's my take on what road we should try to go with the squad.

It's important to get rid of the aging well paid players that arent pulling their weight,

and to sign players who have ambition and drive.

Getting the wage cost down but keeping or raising the level of quality will obviously be key.

I'd go far to get the hand on Giovani from Tottenham though after seeing how well he did with Ipswich. Tell him the team will be built around him, he's first of all after more playing time at this point.

Newcastle should really be a good name to sell to players, even in Championship it should be easy to convince players that it's a team going to bounce straight back.

1 Steve Harper

2 Chris Gunter (Tottenham, season loan)

5 Steven Taylor

6 Dorian Dervite (Tottenham £2.5m)

3 Daniel Fox (Coventry £2m)

7 Christian Bolanos (Start £2m)

4 Kevin Nolan

8 Danny Guthrie

14 Robert Koren (WBA £3m) or Lorenzo Davids (NEC £3m)

9 Marc Janko (Red Bull Salzburg £4m)

10 Giovani Dos Santos (Tottenham £5m)

--------------

13 Tim Krul, 12 Fraser Forster

16 Ryan Taylor, 30 Edgar David

28 Tamas Kadar, 35 Ben Tozer

20 Rudolph Austin (Brann £1.5m)

27 Kaz Lua Lua, 22 Omar Daley (Bradford £750k)

18 Andy Carroll

19 Nile Ranger

sell, loan out or release:

Fabricio Coloccini - £5m

Jose Enrique - £4m

Cacapa -

Joey Barton - £3m

Obafemi Martins - £6m

Michael Owen -

Damien Duff -

Sebastian Bassong - £6m

Alan Smith -

Jonas Gutierrez - £5m

Xisco – loan out to Primera Liga

Geremi -

Habib Beye - £1.5m

Nicky Butt -

Shola Ameobi - £1.5m

Peter Løvenkrands - £750k

Mark Viduka -

Omar fucking Daley? Have you ever seen him play? :lol:

Janko wouldn't come to the Championship, and Dos Santos is far too lightweight for the Championship.

Which of these players can we realistically sign in the summer? :lol:

We need at least 3 defenders, 4 midfielders and 2 forwards imo.

Shortlist:

GK:

Ross Turnbull (Middlesbrough)

Keiren Westwood (Coventry City)

Ben Foster (Man Utd) - Loan

DEF:

Joe Mattock (Leicester City)

Daniel Fox (Coventry City)

Gábor Gyepes (Cardiff City)

Mark Beevers (Sheff Wed)

Kyle Naughton (Sheff Utd)

Liam Rosenior (Reading)

Chris Armstrong (Reading)

Ozcar Wendt (FC København)

Michael Mancienne (Chelsea) – Loan

Emiliano Insua (Liverpool) - Loan

MID:

Joe Ledley (Cardiff City)

Fabian Delph (Leeds Utd)

Stephen Hunt (Reading)

Jordi Gomez (Espanyol)

Chris Brunt (WBA)

James Morrison (WBA)

Kris Commons (Derby)

Aron Gunnarsson (Coventry City)

Per Ciljan Skjelbred (Rosenborg BK)

Atiba Hutchinson (FC København)

Darron Gibson (Man Utd) – Loan

Aaron Ramsey (Arsenal) - Loan

FOR:

Ross McCormack (Cardiff City)

Kevin Doyle (Reading)

Marlon King (Wigan)

Jermaine Beckford (Leeds Utd)

Søren Larsen (Toulouse) - Loan

Fraizer Campbell (Man Utd) – Loan

Carlos Vela (Arsenal) - Loan

I think most players from the Scandinavian leagues would consider it a step up playing in the Championship, plus the Shearer-effect (e.g. Skjelbred)...

Edited by janu