4-1-4-1

ChocChip

Was just thinking of possible formation alternatives that accomadate our players in positions they do well in, thoughts please.

..............................Given..............................

Carr............Taylor.............Boum.............Baba

..............................Parker.............................

Solano...........Dyer............Emre.............Luque

..............................Owen..............................

Good protection for the defence. Wouldn't be expecting Owen to hold the ball up but i think we could (instead of lumping it forward) play it through midf or either flank very effectively and Owen would get a lot of support from Dyer and Luque. Wouldn't expose the fullbacks either.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see where your coming from but (even on the basis of us playing football rather than humping a long ball forward) I don't think we would see the best from Owen having him up there on his own.

The problem with looking for formation to play all of a teams best players often results in not playing to those players strengths. This formation would necessitate Owen playing with his back to goal and thus would rely on others breaking forward and scoring the fair share of goals (something which the likes of Dyer have struggled with in the past).

I think we would be better off sticking with Shearer alongside Owen most of the time for now (I think we will see Shearer still proving very usefull when we have some quality in the midfield to provide amunition and Owen next to him with his pace and movement) and use a variation of Luque, Dyer and Solano on a game by game basis.

There is also the option of playing Luque up with Owen and playing Dyer/N'Zogbia on the left.

If we're playing our best players in their best positions then Dyer wouldn't make the first team tbh. Luque either IMO, stick with N'Zogbia i reckon as he's proving to be a quality player.

4-4-2 is the only way to go with Shearer up there with Owen.

So it would be this for me

----------------GIVEN----------------

CARR---TAYLOR---BOUM/BRAMBLE---BABA

SOLANO---PARKER--EMRE---N'ZOGBIA

-----------SHEARER----OWEN---------------

At his age and stage of development I don't think N'Zogbia is one of our best eleven. He is having some good games but then having some stinkers in between. You can't expect him to manage it consistantly at the moment.

You have to expect (and certainly hope) that Luque will come into the best eleven when he gets a run (he played well against Manure and it's just a shoddy opening ten minutes against Fulham that's souring peoples view of him).

If Dyer hits the form of last season then I would say he's up with our best players also the problem is where to fit him in!

What about (tin hat on ) 3-5-2

-----------------GIVEN

--------TAYLOR---BOUM-----BRAMBLE

DYER------------PARKER--------------BABA

---------SOLANO-----------EMRE

---------OWEN----------SHEARER

with Dyer and Babyaro as wing backs. Solano can still go wide to put the crosses in or he and Emre can play through the middle. Emre is left footed i think so he could cross first time from the left too. Or is it all a bit Glen Hoddle? Just a thought. Boro did well aginst Manu with a 3-5-2 at the weekend.

-----------------GIVEN

with Dyer and Babyaro as wing backs. Solano can still go wide  to put the crosses in or he and Emre can play through the middle. Emre is left footed i think so he could cross first time from the left too. Or is it all a bit Glen Hoddle? Just a thought. Boro did well aginst Manu with a 3-5-2 at the weekend.

51647[/snapback]

No team has done anything in the EPL utilising 3 at the back. It's total shite and doesn't work.

He used to play at full-back for Ipswich. He's got pace and power and the right build which is what's required down that flank. Zoggy can do the same at the other side as he also used to play there. Just for the time being until we bring in some quality there.

-----------------GIVEN

with Dyer and Babyaro as wing backs. Solano can still go wide  to put the crosses in or he and Emre can play through the middle. Emre is left footed i think so he could cross first time from the left too. Or is it all a bit Glen Hoddle? Just a thought. Boro did well aginst Manu with a 3-5-2 at the weekend.

51647[/snapback]

No team has done anything in the EPL utilising 3 at the back. It's total shite and doesn't work.

51651[/snapback]

Correct and should be the end of the matter once and for all!

As for 4-1-4-1, or 4-5-1 or whatever, Owen has never looked as good on his own as he does in a two man attack and we as a team have rarely looked anything but shite when we have played any variation on the 4-5-1/4-3-3 theme.

If we're playing our best players in their best positions then Dyer wouldn't make the first team tbh. Luque either IMO, stick with N'Zogbia i reckon as he's proving to be a quality player.

4-4-2 is the only way to go with Shearer up there with Owen.

So it would be this for me

----------------GIVEN----------------

CARR---TAYLOR---BOUM/BRAMBLE---BABA

SOLANO---PARKER--EMRE---N'ZOGBIA

-----------SHEARER----OWEN---------------

51623[/snapback]

Based on what?

any variation on this will do for me

----------------------------given

carr-------------boum----------------taylor-------------babbayaro

solano/dyer--------parker-------emre-------dyer/n'zogbia/luque

----------------------owen---------luque/shearer/dyer

You would play Dyer alongside Owen?

Do you not think this would leave us too lightweight up top?

I could see Dyer with Shearer and possibly with Luque but I'm not convinced about him and Owen together.

51774[/snapback]

could work i reckon. owen playing on the last man's shoulder with dyer dropping deep and using pace and tricks to make space. sort of like the role rooney plays for england.

it would be great for movement and pace. we would struggle with those two up top if we need to go direct - though you could always bring shearer off the bench to win more in the air.

Fair point, I agree we would be far better off for pace and movement but I'm something of a traditionalist and I like to see what Chinny Hill would call a traditional number 9 up there (someone like Shearer or Ferdinand) along with Owen. But it's certainly nice to have options.

-----------------GIVEN

51647[/snapback]

51651[/snapback]

But Im managed to win the masters league in Pro Evo Soccer with that formation! Ho hum. Point taken.

any variation on this will do for me

----------------------------given

carr-------------boum----------------taylor-------------babbayaro

solano/dyer--------parker-------emre-------dyer/n'zogbia/luque

----------------------owen---------luque/shearer/dyer

51770[/snapback]

That pretty much covers it, except Bramble would be in my best CB partnership and Ramage is an option at LB/RB.

I've no problem at all going in with a Dyer/Owen combo up front as the pace and movement more than compensates for a lack of aerial ability and lets be honest if we were playing football properly it doesn't matter if you have nobody to hoof the ball up to from your own half.

You don't need to just hoof aimless long balls forward to make use of a centre forward with arial ability though. Football played properly can make use of the ball on the deck and in the air but with two small players up front you are cutting down your options.

What I think you really need is options on the bench so that if you can't beat a team one way you can change your point of attack. This is something that I think we are close to having now with the likes of Shearer, Owen, Dyer, Luque, Emre & Solano. I just hope our management can take advantage of it!

You don't need to just hoof aimless long balls forward to make use of a centre forward with arial ability though.  Football played properly can make use of the ball on the deck and in the air but with two small players up front you are cutting down your options.

What I think you really need is options on the bench so that if you can't beat a team one way you can change your point of attack.  This is something that I think we are close to having now with the likes of Shearer, Owen, Dyer, Luque, Emre & Solano.  I just hope our management can take advantage of it!

51806[/snapback]

I agree about covering options on the bench and there is a value to a striker with physical strength (rather than say pure aerial ability), but if you're good enough you don't have to have that option all the time. Arsenal have the likes of Henry who's shite in the air and he's played alongside and with other players who aren't exactly dominant in the air like Reyes, Bergkamp etc.

Meanwhile Chelsea have shown with Drogba the value of having a physical presence, so it depends what you are working with and how well your team is playing and what style of football they're playing.

And just to be annoying, i would have loved to see Owen/Bellamy up front as any defence would struggle to handle those two playing together and if you had Dyer in the same line up we would be lethal on the break!

You would play Dyer alongside Owen?

Do you not think this would leave us too lightweight up top?

I could see Dyer with Shearer and possibly with Luque but I'm not convinced about him and Owen together.

51774[/snapback]

could work i reckon. owen playing on the last man's shoulder with dyer dropping deep and using pace and tricks to make space. sort of like the role rooney plays for england.

it would be great for movement and pace. we would struggle with those two up top if we need to go direct - though you could always bring shearer off the bench to win more in the air.

51775[/snapback]

I think Dyer and Owen is the way to go too. Good post, Dan.