4-1-4-1

ChocChip

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't need to just hoof aimless long balls forward to make use of a centre forward with arial ability though.  Football played properly can make use of the ball on the deck and in the air but with two small players up front you are cutting down your options.

What I think you really need is options on the bench so that if you can't beat a team one way you can change your point of attack.  This is something that I think we are close to having now with the likes of Shearer, Owen, Dyer, Luque, Emre & Solano.  I just hope our management can take advantage of it!

51806[/snapback]

I agree about covering options on the bench and there is a value to a striker with physical strength (rather than say pure aerial ability), but if you're good enough you don't have to have that option all the time. Arsenal have the likes of Henry who's shite in the air and he's played alongside and with other players who aren't exactly dominant in the air like Reyes, Bergkamp etc.

Meanwhile Chelsea have shown with Drogba the value of having a physical presence, so it depends what you are working with and how well your team is playing and what style of football they're playing.

And just to be annoying, i would have loved to see Owen/Bellamy up front as any defence would struggle to handle those two playing together and if you had Dyer in the same line up we would be lethal on the break!

51807[/snapback]

Unfortunately I don't think you can compare our team to the Arse team that has succeeded in playing without players who provide an arial presence up top (I know you weren't doing this like). But they also in a way prove the point that it is necessary to have this alternative. In Europe their style has been far too easily snuffed out. They have only been getting to the same stage that we managed to get to last time we played in the champions league with a poorer and far less experienced team. If they had the ability to attack in a different way they could well have won the trophy. Mind you I'd be more than happy with the domestic trophy's they have won in recent years.

I know what you mean about having Owen, Bella's and Dyer all playing in attack and it brings images of the Leeds games to mind but I think it's fair to say it certainly wouldn't work every game. Oh and we wouldn't have Owen if Bellamy was still here ;)

You don't need to just hoof aimless long balls forward to make use of a centre forward with arial ability though.  Football played properly can make use of the ball on the deck and in the air but with two small players up front you are cutting down your options.

What I think you really need is options on the bench so that if you can't beat a team one way you can change your point of attack.  This is something that I think we are close to having now with the likes of Shearer, Owen, Dyer, Luque, Emre & Solano.  I just hope our management can take advantage of it!

51806[/snapback]

I agree about covering options on the bench and there is a value to a striker with physical strength (rather than say pure aerial ability), but if you're good enough you don't have to have that option all the time. Arsenal have the likes of Henry who's shite in the air and he's played alongside and with other players who aren't exactly dominant in the air like Reyes, Bergkamp etc.

Meanwhile Chelsea have shown with Drogba the value of having a physical presence, so it depends what you are working with and how well your team is playing and what style of football they're playing.

And just to be annoying, i would have loved to see Owen/Bellamy up front as any defence would struggle to handle those two playing together and if you had Dyer in the same line up we would be lethal on the break!

51807[/snapback]

Unfortunately I don't think you can compare our team to the Arse team that has succeeded in playing without players who provide an arial presence up top (I know you weren't doing this like). But they also in a way prove the point that it is necessary to have this alternative. In Europe their style has been far too easily snuffed out. They have only been getting to the same stage that we managed to get to last time we played in the champions league with a poorer and far less experienced team. If they had the ability to attack in a different way they could well have won the trophy. Mind you I'd be more than happy with the domestic trophy's they have won in recent years.

I know what you mean about having Owen, Bella's and Dyer all playing in attack and it brings images of the Leeds games to mind but I think it's fair to say it certainly wouldn't work every game. Oh and we wouldn't have Owen if Bellamy was still here ;)

51833[/snapback]

Why not? Owen is a goalscorer and is the long term replacement for Shearer. If he stays at the club.

51806[/snapback]

51807[/snapback]

51833[/snapback]

Its true about the arse in that when a team finds them out, they don't really have a plan B, but as you say domestically we'd be more than happy with their plan A over the years!

51806[/snapback]

51807[/snapback]

51833[/snapback]

Why not? Owen is a goalscorer and is the long term replacement for Shearer. If he stays at the club.

51838[/snapback]

As I'm sure you could tell from the wink the comment was made in jest. However I do actually think we would not have gone for an Owen type striker if we already a pacy little bloke to play up front already. I think we would have concentrated on a bit more of a physical presence up there for the reasons I've already mentioned earlier.

As interesting as strike force of Owen and Dyer or Owen and Bellamy is, I don't think there are many managers out there who gamble on that type of strike force as being their first choice.

Of course it's always possible that if Bellamy hadn't fallen out with Souness we might still have gone for Owen (I mean it's not as if the mamoth fee we received for Bellamy paid for Owen) and had some more quality options up front.

Dyer up front let alone anywhere near the first team is a fucking joke tbh.

51824[/snapback]

Going to explain why?

51830[/snapback]

Indeed, although i think it's fairly obvious and has been for a long time.

Apart from pace he has no other attributes as a footballer imo.

He can't pass, control, head, tackle, finish, read the game. Sticking him up front would be the lesser of 2 evils but it would simply mean another "striker" playing with the ball bobbling up around his knees (see Ameobi).

Dyer hasn't progressed as a footballer for at least 3 or 4 years now, yet he still gets into our team, is paid a small fortune and gets into the England squad!!

Were being short changed by this prick yet some fans think he should play up front! ;)

At least with Bellamy after his first year of showing us he had raw talent, the second season he'd honed certain area's of his game and had improved significantly, whereas Dyer in contrast is still at the level he was after his first season with us, and that level imo is pretty fucking mediocre!

Edited by Smooth Operator

He can't pass, control, head, tackle, finish, read the game. Sticking him up front would be the lesser of 2 evils but it would simply mean another "striker" playing with the ball bobbling up around his knees (see Ameobi).

Controlled the ball, beat his man, and put the ball in for Shearer's goal tbh

51824[/snapback]

Going to explain why?

51830[/snapback]

Dyer hasn't progressed as a footballer for at least 3 or 4 years now, yet he still gets into our team, is paid a small fortune and gets into the England squad!!

Were being short changed by this prick yet some fans think he should play up front! ;)

At least with Bellamy after his first year of showing us he had raw talent, the second season he'd honed certain area's of his game and had improved significantly, whereas Dyer in contrast is still at the level he was after his first season with us, and that level imo is pretty fucking mediocre!

51846[/snapback]

did you not see the match on sunday? dyer changed the game when he came on.

he can run all day, pick a pass and take on and beat a man. he's a quality player, when fit.

for me, his main weakness is his poor injury record and his finshing. if he can sort that out, he can get back into the england squad, and certainly give us anoter option upfront.

owen will poach goals all day, and i fancy dyer's pace and movement alongside him would create more space for our number 10.

51824[/snapback]

Going to explain why?

51830[/snapback]

51846[/snapback]

I don't agree with much of that, but I appreciate it that you offered the reply.

When I watch Newcastle play I always feel we're going to score from a cross out wide more so than threading the ball through on the edge of the box. That may change in future if we're to play Owen & Dyer up front. We'd certainly have the attack in midfield and runs from the forwards to create those opportunities.

Luque is obviously more of an attacker than an out wide left-winger so he'd be part of that attack in midfield alongside Emre & Solano with Parker sitting in that holding role in midfield. The two full-back positions have to be strengthened when January comes. That is certainly a priority as far as I'm concerned. Then maybe in the summer we can strengthen up in central defence and up front.

Don't forget we'll have James Milner back so you'll have him and Zoggy on stand-by for Lugue and Solano. Your probably only looking at one midfielder being brought in for extra strength in depth.

................OWEN.................DYER

........LUQUE............EMRE.........SOLANO

............................PARKER

...BABAYARO........BRAMBLE...........TAYLOR

..........................BOUMSONG

.............................GIVEN

HARPER

HUNTINGTON

ZOGGY

MILNER

CHOPRA

Edited by Geordie Boyo

51824[/snapback]

Going to explain why?

51830[/snapback]

51846[/snapback]

I don't agree with much of that, but I appreciate it that you offered the reply.

51862[/snapback]

You've got your opinion i've got mine and that's fair enough, I think overall the fans are still split over Dyer, there's the likes of yourself who think he can offer something to the team. But then there's those like myself and countless others who sit around me at the match of the opinion that he's totally overated, overpaid and has nowt but pace. I'm in that camp but hope he can prove me wrong in the future but I've been saying that for the last 3-4 years now.

He came on against WBA and did well, wouldn't go as for as to say he changed the game as others have said though, but if he'd have come into a game against a decent team I very much doubt he would have had an impact. He seems to do alright against lesser opposition and go missing in games against bigger and better opposition for too often for me. And if were going to get anywhere we need players who can perform against the better teams. I can see Parker, Emre, Owen, Solano, Shearer all doing this but not Dyer and for 80k a week were being short-changed.

51824[/snapback]

Going to explain why?

51830[/snapback]

51846[/snapback]

51862[/snapback]

You've got your opinion i've got mine and that's fair enough, I think overall the fans are still split over Dyer, there's the likes of yourself who think he can offer something to the team. But then there's those like myself and countless others who sit around me at the match of the opinion that he's totally overated, overpaid and has nowt but pace. I'm in that camp but hope he can prove me wrong in the future but I've been saying that for the last 3-4 years now.

He came on against WBA and did well, wouldn't go as for as to say he changed the game as others have said though, but if he'd have come into a game against a decent team I very much doubt he would have had an impact. He seems to do alright against lesser opposition and go missing in games against bigger and better opposition for too often for me. And if were going to get anywhere we need players who can perform against the better teams. I can see Parker, Emre, Owen, Solano, Shearer all doing this but not Dyer and for 80k a week were being short-changed.

51936[/snapback]

Just thought I'd mention I've been going to matches since 1968, so I know what it's like to have 'countless others sitting around me', like.

I have no great belief that Dyer is a fantastic player, I just think from our current options I'd select him alongside Owen. That's all there is to it.

Just thought I'd mention I've been going to matches since 1968, so I know what it's like to have 'countless others sitting around me', like.

52129[/snapback]

I'm pleased you brought that up. It's extremely relevent to the Dyer issue :rimshot:

I go out on the gay scene a fair bit, so I'm used to dealing with pricks. I'd say that makes me far better placed to judge Dyer than this "Howaythelads" character. :tumbleweed:

52209[/snapback]

I'd say it makes you well placed to judge HTL.

:rimshot:

51824[/snapback]

Going to explain why?

51830[/snapback]

Were being short changed by this prick yet some fans think he should play up front! :rimshot:

51846[/snapback]

51862[/snapback]

51936[/snapback]

I have no great belief that Dyer is a fantastic player, I just think from our current options I'd select him alongside Owen. That's all there is to it.

52129[/snapback]

1968 you say, you're obviously a man of vintage. I can only boast of an attendance record since 1982. Must mean you know more about football eh? It's no wonder I tend to primarily post in the General Chat thread than in here, cos there's always someone like you in here! :tumbleweed::angry:

All i'll say is that if countless others around me at the match in the present day are calling for the pricks head then it tells you something about Dyer's non-performances.

Dyer's biggest problem is he's always fucking injured. I reckon a fit Dyer would be an asset to NUFC but he's got a sick record worse than your average DSS employee :rimshot:

51824[/snapback]

Going to explain why?

51830[/snapback]

Were being short changed by this prick yet some fans think he should play up front! :rimshot:

51846[/snapback]

51862[/snapback]

51936[/snapback]

52129[/snapback]

1968 you say, you're obviously a man of vintage. I can only boast of an attendance record since 1982. Must mean you know more about football eh? It's no wonder I tend to primarily post in the General Chat thread than in here, cos there's always someone like you in here! :tumbleweed::angry:

All i'll say is that if countless others around me at the match in the present day are calling for the pricks head then it tells you something about Dyer's non-performances.

52252[/snapback]

Not at all. It was just a reply to your previous effort of .........

"there's the likes of yourself who think he can offer something to the team. But then there's those like myself and countless others who sit around me at the match "

The implication being that your opinion has more value based on the fact it is supported by these countless people, while doubt is being raised about whether I've ever been to a match or not.

My interpretation of your post is exactly the type you claim sends you to General Chat.

Read your own posts before you make such accusations of others.

Edited by Howaythelads