Muslim extremists

Douggy B

Three men accused of plotting to bomb New York synagogues and fire missiles at aircraft have appeared in court on weapons and conspiracy charges.

They and another man were detained after planting what they allegedly thought were bombs at two synagogues.

The three, wearing shackles, were detained until 5 June for a preliminary hearing, Judge Lisa Smith ordered.

Prosecutor Eric Snyder described them as "extremely violent men" and "eager to bring death to Jews".

'Best target'

James Cromitie (also known as Abdul Rahman), David Williams (aka Daoud and DL), and Onta Williams (aka Hamza) appeared in court in White Plains, New York.

Mr Snyder said Mr Cromitie had "complained" that the "best target" - the World Trade Center destroyed on September 11, 2001 - had already been targeted.

The fourth man, Laguerre Payen (aka Amin and Almondo), was due in court later.

Mr Payen's lawyer said he had been injured during his arrest and was receiving hospital treatment, according to AFP news agency.

Before the court hearing, New York Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly, visiting one of the synagogues, said all four "wanted to commit jihad".

o.gif SEALED COMPLAINT

FBI's allegations in full

(Source: New York Times)

[386 KB] Most computers will open this document automatically, but you may need Adobe Reader Download the reader here inline_dashed_line.gif

New York terror sting detailed The men had allegedly agreed to buy explosives from FBI agents posing as Islamic militants.

The four are charged with conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction within the US and conspiracy to acquire and use anti-aircraft missiles, officials said.

The charges carry jail terms of between 25 years and life imprisonment.

A senior FBI official in New York said three were US citizens and one was from Haiti.

BBC defence and security correspondent Rob Watson says the case appears to be a classic sting operation against suspected home-grown militants rather than a plot with any links to known international terrorism.

'No risk'

Speaking outside the Riverdale Temple, one of the intended targets, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg praised the work of New York's police and the FBI.

_45805482_tv007360748.jpg The four have all made anti-Semitic statements, the police chief says The alleged plot served as a reminder to New Yorkers to remain vigilant "at all times", the mayor said.

"The bottom line is that we have to be constantly vigilant and we have to constantly be sure that we have the best police department in the world, that they are well led and well trained."

Mr Kelly, the police commissioner, stressed that the arrests were the result of a lengthy operation and that despite the serious nature of the charges, no-one was ever actually put at risk.

According to prosecutors, the men planned to detonate cars packed with C-4 plastic explosives outside the Riverdale Temple and the Riverdale Jewish Center in the Bronx district of the city.

They also intended to target military planes at the New York Air National Guard base at Stewart Airport, 60 miles (85 km) north of New York City.

<a class="bodl" href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8061772.stm#map">See a map of alleged targets In their efforts to obtain weapons for the attack, the men dealt with an informant from the FBI, who is said to have provided the group "with an inactive missile and inert explosives."

"This was a very tightly-controlled operation but these individuals did place bombs - or what they thought were bombs - right in front of the building in which we are standing and the temple a few blocks away," Mr Kelly said.

'Sought weapons'

Outlining the charges on Wednesday night, law enforcement officials said the group set up what they believed to be 30lbs (14kg) of explosives.

According to prosecutors, Mr Cromitie told an FBI informant in June 2008 that he was angry over the US-led war in Afghanistan.

_45803289_planes-1.jpg The suspects allegedly wanted to attack National Guard planes He "expressed an interest in 'doing something to America"'.

From October 2008, the informant began meeting him regularly along with the four others at a house in which the FBI had concealed video and audio equipment.

The group allegedly "expressed desire" to attack targets in New York and Mr Cromitie "asked the informant to supply surface-to-air guided missiles and explosives", prosecutors say.

In April 2009, the group agreed on the synagogues they intended to attack and proceeded to conduct surveillance, including taking photographs of the warplanes at the military base, prosecutors say.

Mr Cromitie allegedly pointed out Jews in the street, saying "if he had a gun, he would shoot each one in the head", according to the district attorney's statement.

According to the statement, he told the informant that attacking the Jewish community centre would be a "piece of cake".

He also said he would be interested in joining Jaish-e-Mohammed - a Pakistan-based group considered a terrorist organisation by Washington - "to do jihad".

I live in Riverdale, where this happened. Let's just say I'm a lot more afraid of Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly than I am of a bunch of Latinos and a Haitian with fake bombs. I can only imagine what new travesties this will be used as justification for.

Good job they were fake this time. The FBI might have just saved your life.

Did they bollocks. All they're good for is stopping the Mickey Mousers. Anyone they can stop has no chance of harming me, and anyone who does, they can't stop. Much more likely is they'll continue to use the threat of 'jihad' (as exemplified by some confused converts, clearly) to destroy the civil liberties held dear by those who founded this country. That click on the phone line is just static, I suppose, Danny?

Did they bollocks. All they're good for is stopping the Mickey Mousers. Anyone they can stop has no chance of harming me, and anyone who does, they can't stop. Much more likely is they'll continue to use the threat of 'jihad' (as exemplified by some confused converts, clearly) to destroy the civil liberties held dear by those who founded this country. That click on the phone line is just static, I suppose, Danny?

No its the jews turning on their mind washing machine. A tin foil helmet will see you safe though.

No its the jews turning on their mind washing machine. A tin foil helmet will see you safe though.

I'm not worried about the Jews - far from it. Farmer Bob out in Nebraska, and the people he votes for, are the ones I'm afraid of.

I'm not worried about the Jews - far from it. Farmer Bob out in Nebraska, and the people he votes for, are the ones I'm afraid of.

I take it you dont have a TV (good choice, they use it to control you). Bob's lot got voted out.

Farmer Bob has some evil shit going down.

Scary guy.

@Danny: I hope you don't think the institutionalized racism instituted by 'Bob's lot' is going away?

EDIT: Wait until Parky and Fop see this thread btw, I can already see it's going to be clash of the titans all over again.

Edited by acrossthepond

Scary guy.

@Danny: I hope you don't think the institutionalized racism instituted by 'Bob's lot' is going away?

EDIT: Wait until Parky and Fop see this thread btw, I can already see it's going to be clash of the titans all over again.

:lol:

Guest Stevie
How Britain blew its chance with the Muslim world

Rageh Omaar

In March, just before President Obama's visit to London, the US embassy called my office at the Al Jazeera English bureau in London.

Given the nature of our relationship with the Bush administration, I was half expecting a complaint. What followed was a huge and pleasant surprise: an invitation for Al Jazeera English to screen a documentary I presented on Islam In America at the embassy.

It was a small reminder of America's remarkable ability to renew itself and how it is seen in the world.

If there's anything that Barack Obama's presidency represents for Muslims - whether living in western societies or in predominantly Muslim countries - it's the chance to rewrite the story of America and the Muslim world after the nadir of the past eight years.

President Obama's election was an incredible, Houdini-like act by America, freeing it overnight from the hostility of the Bush years.

It should have been a Houdini act for the UK, too. Obama's election was also a huge opportunity for the UK to remake itself in the eyes of the Muslim world. But it's a chance that has thus far been completely blown by the Government.

No other country is as implicated in the most glaring schisms between the West and the Muslim world precipitated by George W Bush as the UK.

New Labour under Tony Blair was either co-architect or leading supporter of Iraq, Afghanistan, Guantanamo and extraordinary rendition. In other key areas, most notably Gaza and the collapse of the Middle East peace process, it failed to use its supposed leverage with the Bush administration.

Initially the Blair government spun the line that 7/7 and other home-grown terrorism plots had nothing to do with UK foreign policy, but few in the intelligence and security services believed it, and no one in government would today peddle that line.

Gordon Brown struck a very different note in his first months as Prime Minister. He said that in the past the Government had not done enough to win the war for "hearts and minds" in the Muslim world.

David Miliband was made Foreign Secretary. His first trip was to Pakistan and Afghanistan, where he said what Obama would say during his campaign a year later: that the real focus in the war on terror was Afghanistan and not Iraq.

Throughout the last half of 2007, the UK prepared to withdraw from Iraq, boost its military commitment to Afghanistan and start to fight what Ed Balls described as the "culture war" instead of the military war in the Muslim world.

Britain was perfectly placed to benefit from the West's renewed engagement with the Islamic world led by Obama.

We had a strong hand - but we failed to play it decisively. The first and most obvious thing would have been for the Prime Minister or Foreign Secretary to make a speech in a Muslim country, speaking of the need for a new start, with shared interests.

In terms of substance, we had a golden opportunity to take a lead on Pakistan, a country with which we have very close links - and from which we have faced several militant threats.

While the Obama administration has appointed the formidable Ambassador Richard Holbrooke as an envoy to both Afghanistan and Pakistan, there is no British equivalent capable of dealing with the Taliban in both countries as a whole.

As for the Middle East peace process, while Obama calls for a halt to Israeli settlement building, there is virtual silence from British ministers.

The worst part is knowing what a difference it could have made to Britain's interests. This is about a lot more than improving our image in the Muslim world.

It's about our security as well, and limiting the opportunity that British-born jihadists have in using Muslim disaffection at British foreign policy as a primary tool for radicalising young Britons.

In a few weeks Obama will travel to Egypt and make a long-awaited speech to the Muslim world, where he will echo his inauguration speech, where he said that he wanted a new relationship with the Muslim world based on shared interests, tolerance and, yes, friendship.

After all that has happened under Bush, this is easier said than done. But the will and impetus is there. His speech in Cairo will be shown on TV, written about in newspapers and replayed on the radio from Casablanca to Calcutta, from Dar es Salaam to Dubai. It will benefit America hugely.

Britain, which stood shoulder to shoulder with America through the worst chapters of its recent relations with the Muslim world, will not be mentioned. It's like taking the blame with the main villain, only to see him rehabilitated while we're still associated with the original crime.

The most unforgivable part of this failure to seize on the "Obama effect" is in how it lets down British soldiers.

The greatest sin of politicians is to squander the opportunities made possible by the sacrifice of those who die in conflict. British troops were posted to Afghanistan in a mission which the then Defence Secretary, John Reid, said would be carried out probably without the need "to fire a single shot".

No other Nato member has made the same commitment to the war in Afghanistan as Britain, and no country has paid as high a price. Yet our reputation in the Muslim world remains as it was before Obama's election.

It's hard to escape the conclusion that the sacrifices of British soldiers have been largely squandered.

Gordon Brown has been far too concerned with his plummeting domestic fortunes to concentrate on foreign policy. Thus the Government has failed to reinvent itself and Britain's image abroad.

New Labour has not been alone in this. More than any other party, the Conservatives have a burning desire to rid themselves of the stigma of having voted in favour of the invasion of Iraq.

Yet there has been almost no sign of any desire on their part to seize on Obama's initiatives in the Muslim world.

We have left it far, far too late in the day but we must and should stand shoulder to shoulder with Obama as he faces the Muslim world afresh with the same intensity that we stood shoulder to shoulder with Bush.

My head tells me it's too late; my heart hopes that it is not.

Rageh Omaar is a presenter on Al Jazeera English (Sky Channel 514)

How fuckin Britain ruined it's chance with the muslim world, I can't fucking believe what I'm reading here, I mean no disrespect to good lads like Bawan, but I couldn't give a cunt about how the muslim world perceives us. The muslim world should be bothered about how WE fuckin perceive them. The arrogance of this piece actually beggars belief, and the fact it's being published in the leading paper of what is essentially the capital of the world, our capital London, I'm just shaking my head. Fuck me, I hate this country so much hate it.

"It should have been a Houdini act for the UK, too. Obama's election was also a huge opportunity for the UK to remake itself in the eyes of the Muslim world."

We couldn't give a cunt "Rageh" (what a name), "we should give a cunt" why???? I genuinely don't, this country will never be dominated by muslims, it will never have muslim values, many of those values which I abhor, the treating of women as second class citizens, the sewing of their minges till they get married, showing kids cartoons of British people being killed, extremists who cut peoples heads off, barbaric cultures who can never and will never be alligned with a democratic way. If he's so fucking obsessed with us, remaking ourselves he should fuck off and live in a muslim country. This will NEVER BE MUSLIM, there are too many people who hold our heritage dear for that to ever happen, and fuck what they think of us.

"Britain was perfectly placed to benefit from the West's renewed engagement with the Islamic world led by Obama."

How would we benefit?? A lower terrorism threat? I'd rather have the status quo than cow tow to them.

"The worst part is knowing what a difference it could have made to Britain's interests. This is about a lot more than improving our image in the Muslim world.

It's about our security as well, and limiting the opportunity that British-born jihadists have in using Muslim disaffection at British foreign policy as a primary tool for radicalising young Britons."

There you go and I predicted that would be the buttered coated reasons behind this pathetic piece.

Britain was perfectly placed to benefit from the West's renewed engagement with the Islamic world led by Obama.

We had a strong hand - but we failed to play it decisively.

No one cares Rageh.

I'm not a racist before any of yous start, I like black people, I like foreign people, I like visitors who come to this country then want go home when they don't want to be part of the culture. There's good and bad in all races. This article though written in tonights evening standard, is a fucking disgrace, it's like a lazy piece of journalism regurgitated by some hack about how it's Newcastle fans fault that we're shite. It's a disgrace it was even published dredging up old shit, I knew before I read the piece when I saw the title, one of the main points would be we should arselick so the terrorists pipe down, and we're seen as cunts by muslims. Well we don't fuckin care. I would like to think I represent the middle of the political view spectrum, my views are the same as the man in the street, the non racist man, but this is a disgrace, and just creates even bigger divides and more ammunition for far right groups.

Edited by Stevie

Scary guy.

Can't speak for Parky, but it could do with it. Dibs on the Kraken.

We couldn't give a cunt "Rageh" (what a name), "we should give a cunt" why???? I genuinely don't, this country will never be dominated by muslims, it will never have muslim values, many of those values which I abhor, the treating of women as second class citizens, the sewing of their minges till they get married, showing kids cartoons of British people being killed, extremists who cut peoples heads off, barbaric cultures who can never and will never be alligned with a democratic way. If he's so fucking obsessed with us, remaking ourselves he should fuck off and live in a muslim country. This will NEVER BE MUSLIM, there are too many people who hold our heritage dear for that to ever happen, and fuck what they think of us.

You make a lot of noise about how you're not racist, but then you come out with absolute reeking shite like this and it makes it impossible to take whatever you say seriously. 'Barbaric cultures' :lol:;) You're still stuck in the age of the British Empire, Stevie.

Nobody is saying (except for some extremists who are as loopy as their Western counterparts) that Britain should be 'dominated by Muslims' or 'have Muslim values.' This article is not saying that. But you have to come to terms with the fact that a major section of the UK's population is now Muslim and that is not going to change. Far from it - Islam is only going to grow in the UK and the rest of Europe. Nobody is going to kick the 'foreigners' (many of whom are native-born British citizens) out. They're not going to leave. They're here to stay. And they are British, despite what misgivings you may have about that. And now there are two choices - British society can integrate the new culture, as so many countries across the world have integrated new influences in their own societies; or Britain can, like the body rejecting a transplanted organ as 'foreign,' reject it. History has shown irrevocably that the second option never works and it will not work in this case either. The United States is trying it with the Mexicans, and they will fail miserably, but not before decades of strife. It can and should be avoided.

You blithely say 'fuck what they (a large and rapidly growing segment of Britain) think of us,' and that the cultures 'will never be aligned.' But consider how you would feel about London lawmakers deciding "fuck what the northerners think of us, this country will never be dominated by them. Our cultures can't be aligned." You'd complain about southern bias but you're happy with anglo-saxon bias, and that's just an example of a juvenile 'me and my brother against our neighbor, me and my neighbor against our street, me and our street against our town' mentality that has no place in modern society. British society can benefit from Islamic society - not by accepting Sharia law, FGM, and extremism (which are practiced only by fringe elements in the Muslim world as it is), but by integrating positive values such as a focus on family structure, strong work ethic, and significantly better food. ( :rolleyes:)

Unfortunately, it is impossible for a people to feel at home in a society they feel is actively in opposition to their values, and that's where the 'foreign policy' reference made in the article comes in. When British Muslims read about Enoch Powell, listen to the BNP, hear speeches denouncing Islam as a culture of violence, and when they watch their representatives vote in support of an illegal invasion based on fabricated evidence whose true purpose was not to defeat the spectre of Islamism, but as a function of United States self-aggrandizement, I think you can see why it is difficult for them to believe that they can ever be considered a true part of British culture. Most 'home-grown terrorists,' I believe, are people who were not brought up in the tradition of radicalism, but who become disillusioned with their lives on their own, and turn to radicalism as an answer. The fact that these events also coincide with the unfortunate rise of political Islam's star in the Muslim world mean they have a ready-made 'answer.' And as such, Omaar is arguing not that Britain must somehow pander to those terrorists and 'Islamify' Britain, but that as a whole, British society can (and should) make more of an effort to integrate its Muslim contingent and to prevent them from ever having to ask the questions that lead to the answer of Islamism. And, according to him, improving Britain's image abroad is one of the ways this can be done.

Rant over.

Guest Stevie

You make a lot of noise about how you're not racist, but then you come out with absolute reeking shite like this and it makes it impossible to take whatever you say seriously. 'Barbaric cultures' :lol:;) You're still stuck in the age of the British Empire, Stevie.

Nobody is saying (except for some extremists who are as loopy as their Western counterparts) that Britain should be 'dominated by Muslims' or 'have Muslim values.' This article is not saying that. But you have to come to terms with the fact that a major section of the UK's population is now Muslim and that is not going to change. Far from it - Islam is only going to grow in the UK and the rest of Europe. Nobody is going to kick the 'foreigners' (many of whom are native-born British citizens) out. They're not going to leave. They're here to stay. And they are British, despite what misgivings you may have about that. And now there are two choices - British society can integrate the new culture, as so many countries across the world have integrated new influences in their own societies; or Britain can, like the body rejecting a transplanted organ as 'foreign,' reject it. History has shown irrevocably that the second option never works and it will not work in this case either. The United States is trying it with the Mexicans, and they will fail miserably, but not before decades of strife. It can and should be avoided.

You blithely say 'fuck what they (a large and rapidly growing segment of Britain) think of us,' and that the cultures 'will never be aligned.' But consider how you would feel about London lawmakers deciding "fuck what the northerners think of us, this country will never be dominated by them. Our cultures can't be aligned." You'd complain about southern bias but you're happy with anglo-saxon bias, and that's just an example of a juvenile 'me and my brother against our neighbor, me and my neighbor against our street, me and our street against our town' mentality that has no place in modern society. British society can benefit from Islamic society - not by accepting Sharia law, FGM, and extremism (which are practiced only by fringe elements in the Muslim world as it is), but by integrating positive values such as a focus on family structure, strong work ethic, and significantly better food. ( :rolleyes:)

Unfortunately, it is impossible for a people to feel at home in a society they feel is actively in opposition to their values, and that's where the 'foreign policy' reference made in the article comes in. When British Muslims read about Enoch Powell, listen to the BNP, hear speeches denouncing Islam as a culture of violence, and when they watch their representatives vote in support of an illegal invasion based on fabricated evidence whose true purpose was not to defeat the spectre of Islamism, but as a function of United States self-aggrandizement, I think you can see why it is difficult for them to believe that they can ever be considered a true part of British culture. Most 'home-grown terrorists,' I believe, are people who were not brought up in the tradition of radicalism, but who become disillusioned with their lives on their own, and turn to radicalism as an answer. The fact that these events also coincide with the unfortunate rise of political Islam's star in the Muslim world mean they have a ready-made 'answer.' And as such, Omaar is arguing not that Britain must somehow pander to those terrorists and 'Islamify' Britain, but that as a whole, British society can (and should) make more of an effort to integrate its Muslim contingent and to prevent them from ever having to ask the questions that lead to the answer of Islamism. And, according to him, improving Britain's image abroad is one of the ways this can be done.

Rant over.

Drivel.

I've got more pressing matters when it comes to religious extremism, I'm really in with this girl at work, only she's a mormon, and neither drinks nor has sex, both of which reduce my chances of a shag dramatically.

I've got more pressing matters when it comes to religious extremism, I'm really in with this girl at work, only she's a mormon, and neither drinks nor has sex, both of which reduce my chances of a shag dramatically.

Does a blow job or bum sex count?

Does a blow job or bum sex count?

It will if I have anything to do with it.

Rant over.

Take a leaf out of Mi6's book.

Might add this to me sig. :lol: