Bradford City fire

Craig

I'd seen loads of photos of what happened at Bradford but up until now, I never realised a video clip of the event existed.

When you look at the speed that stand went up in flames, it's merciful that the stand extended down to pitch level so that fans could quickly escape. When you consider our wooden stand (the old West Stand) had at least a 20ft drop into the west paddocks, I don't even what to think what the result would have been if it had happened at SJP.

Tragic - RIP :lol:

Guest alex

Yeah, I've seen the footage before Craig. The cameras were there because (iirc) it was the last home game / the first home after they'd secured promotion. RIP.

Yeah, I've seen the footage before Craig. The cameras were there because (iirc) it was the last home game / the first home after they'd secured promotion. RIP.

Presented with the league trophy before the game apparently? :lol:

The speed it takes hold is terrifying..

Guest alex

Don't really want to watch it again but I remember reports from the time estimating it was quicker than you could have ran away from it. I also remember the bloke collapsed onto the pitch in flames. Can't remember if he made it or not. Also, (again, if my memory serves my well) many people died under the stand, next to emergency exits which were locked to prevent people getting in without paying. All caused, probably, by a discarded tab igniting rubbish which had built up under the stand.

Don't really want to watch it again but I remember reports from the time estimating it was quicker than you could have ran away from it. I also remember the bloke collapsed onto the pitch in flames. Can't remember if he made it or not. Also, (again, if my memory serves my well) many people died under the stand, next to emergency exits which were locked to prevent people getting in without paying. All caused, probably, by a discarded tab igniting rubbish which had built up under the stand.

Aye all spot on Alex. Fella died I think ;)

Anyway, this is our old stand - you can see the drop between the stand and the paddocks. we'd never have stood a chance!

west_stand.jpg

I was at University in Bradford at the time but had gone to Norwich to see us. When the announcer said something about a fire delaying kick-off when doing the HT scored most people laughed - a tragedy just didn't enter anyone's head. As we travelled back the news began to break and I returned to a city in shock. A mate of mine had planned to go to the game but had been to Sheffield to see his parents and was delayed travelling back - he wouldn't have gone in that stand but may have got involved in the rescue.

There were loads of stands like that around - I remember going to Derby for the infamous 4-1 which was the only time I remember being in the upper tier there and that wanother death trap.

I think football "needed" both Bradford and Hillsborough from a modernisation viewpoint - obviously without the actual death.

Guest alex
I was at University in Bradford at the time but had gone to Norwich to see us. When the announcer said something about a fire delaying kick-off when doing the HT scored most people laughed - a tragedy just didn't enter anyone's head. As we travelled back the news began to break and I returned to a city in shock. A mate of mine had planned to go to the game but had been to Sheffield to see his parents and was delayed travelling back - he wouldn't have gone in that stand but may have got involved in the rescue.

There were loads of stands like that around - I remember going to Derby for the infamous 4-1 which was the only time I remember being in the upper tier there and that wanother death trap.

I think football "needed" both Bradford and Hillsborough from a modernisation viewpoint - obviously without the actual death.

That must have been strange. I was, by chance, in Liverpool on the evening of and the day after the Heysel disaster.

Watched it live as it happened. Never forget it as long as I live. Was at my mother-in-law's house and ITV were on the telly. They announced something was happening at Bradford and went over to show the events. I don't want to watch the video, but the thing that stands out in my mind among the events is a policeman coming back from the stand (or as near to the stand as he could get) and his hair bursting into flames half way back across the pitch.

Sad, sad stuff.

Guest Stevie

I think the dignity shown by the people of Bradford has been fantastic. You don't see them singing for justice even though the authorities and the footballing system had as much to answer for at Valley Parade and the police and the authorities had at Hillsborough.

I think the dignity shown by the people of Bradford has been fantastic. You don't see them singing for justice even though the authorities and the footballing system had as much to answer for at Valley Parade and the police and the authorities had at Hillsborough.

Slightly different scenario though Stevie. Bradford happened primarily to a lack of funds. The ultimate tragedy of it all was that at the back of the stadium was a who load of steel forming that they were going to use to replace the wooden roof - they only had it as a result of the funds earned by promotion that they were celebrating that same day.

Hillsborough was primarily due to ignorance on many levels. The funding was there to prevent it. And the calls for justice are because those that were responsible will still not hold their hands up and say so.